Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-23-2001, 05:51 AM   #91
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default Re: Does anyone care?

"If graduated licensing reduces that danger, what is the problem?"

Because that's a big "IF".

Graduated licensing is certainly a curtailment of freedom. The question is whether it is a reasonable one. It might be reasonable if it's implemented fairly and not politically. I will only agree to submitting to stricter standards when non-motorcyclists do the same. We have blind, cripple 90-year olds driving around, but the state doesn't think I would have been capable of riding a motorcycle to school when I was fifteen? That's nonsense.

And if by graduated licensing you mean a system based on training and proficiency, I might agree. If you mean one based on age , similar to what we already have in place, I would not. Age limits are short-sighted and reactionary. The only thing that will truly help reduce the dangers (as opposed to old ladies' perception of the dangers) is training.

dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2001, 06:15 AM   #92
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: Street Test: GSX-R1000

Like the Lite beer commercial says: "She have a sister?"
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 06:36 AM   #93
Guy
Founding Member

Hostle crowd.....

From the looks of most the replys....anyone that rides a bike that makes big power on the street is a moron. You can break the speed limit on a buell blast or 250 rebel.....if you wanted to. Hell if your good enough you could wheelie right past the man down main street. Try it on a moped, it's more impressive.

I personally I look forward to the challenge this bike will give me at the track....now I see from this street test I will own a good mount for the street too. Smooth(not enough o's in smooth for this bike). I get my ya ya's out at the track, I been riding for almost 40 years(frikin old). I see this bike making me a better rider, not worse. I firgure it will take some time to get use to going from a twin to an inline four and certainly this inline.

I won't ride this thing like a squid on the street....it looks stupid and is stupid. If you street squids want to trick....try it at the track. You can't imagine what a rush it is and really how fast fast is.....circling Daytona,BIR,Elkhart Lake, Black Hawk....Road Atlanta. Unreal Fun.

Thanks for the street test MO.

Remember the right hand is adjustable......

Can't wait for the cream of the crop, the Suzuki GSXR1000.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 07:40 AM   #94
Eric
Founding Member

Read the original post. I didn't say we should move to graduated licensing. I asked if anyone knew statistics from countries with licensing.

I completely agree with you that people of any age can be dangerous. When I referred to graduated licensing for motorcycles, I meant progressing in stages based largely on displacement and training, though even displacement is an imperfect measure at best.

At the same time, people ages 16-21 are way overrepresented in accident statistics. This may be an experience factor, or it may be a maturity factor. I am now 26. When I was 18, I thought I was a great, responsible driver. I now cringe at the thought of some of the idiotic things I did.

And you are right that any form of licensing is in some ways a curtailment of freedom. But it is not a curtailment that can be compared to freedom of speech, movement, voting, religion, etc. Not every limitation on freedom is bad. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be wary when the government starts talking about doing something for the public good, but neither does it mean that all actions by the government are bad.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 08:27 AM   #95
Shaft
Founding Member

Default Re: When you design something at the limit...

Hey!! You did it!! You now have the stupidest post I've ever seen!! Good job ignorant moron!
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:23 AM   #96
DougW
Founding Member

Yes but your "danger to society" is a stretch. The real danger is to the rider. There may be a very rare case that a bike will kill someone other than the rider but in 20 plus years of riding, with numerous accidents(one a head on collision I survived) I've never heard of a car driver being killed by a motorcycle. I'm sure it's happened somewhere at one point in time but it's underepresented statistically. We can limit many aspects of freedom based on the greater good(what about the children!) but that's not freedom.

"Political correctness is social censorship"
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:31 AM   #97
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Marketing!

He was joking or make an example. As in, "Somebody told me there brand-X bike was unreliable, so I won't buy one."

Lighten up.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:46 AM   #98
stevegrab
Founding Member

Exactly, all the people who say the current 600 Supersport bike's are great beginner bikes are nuts. Better than getting a big liter bike, but still not good for starting out on.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 12:42 PM   #99
EnZed
Founding Member

Default Re: Street Test: GSX-R1000 / GSX-R1000 Race Win

Almost - "EnZed" is NZ = New Zealand. Just a few kilometres from Canada, in the South Pacific.

By the way - the daily paper here just mentioned that a GSX-R1000 recorded a Superbike (?) race win here in the weekend - supposedly a world first - narrowly beating an R1.
EnZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 01:09 PM   #100
Eric
Founding Member

I've never heard of a car driver being killed by a motorcyclist, but I have heard of and known motorcyclists severly injured and killed by other motorcyclist. If there is such an argument against graduated licensing, why have any licensing requirements for motorcyclists at all? The same arguments apply.

I hope the political correctness thing wasn't aimed at me -- this has nothing to do with PC. I don't really care that this motorcycle is available, and I certainly don't think it's the end of the world. Again, my originial post was just a question. It also pointed out that a true idiot can kill himself on just about any motorcycle available.

Studies have shown that riders with training are much less likely to be in accidents (though there could be some self selection going on there -- more conscientious riders might be more likely to seek training). I was simply curious if graduated licensing in other countries has had an effect. If accident rates are no lower in places where it has been tried, why do it here? If accident rates are significantly lower, why not give it a try?

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote