Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-15-2001, 04:28 PM   #1
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default Yeehaw first

What a beast, new king has arrived.

RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2001, 06:10 PM   #2
DataDan
Founding Member

Default Re: GSX-R1000 Dyno Run!

It matters because it's progress. Thanks to its power and weight advantages, the Gixxer will run the quarter-mile in 10.10 (my guess) and up the ante for everyone else.

No, it won't make a tangible difference to you or to anybody else because the differences among riders is vastly greater than the differences among bikes. A squid on a 600 whose butt you regularly kick on a twisty road will still get his butt kicked if he moves up to a GSXR1000. And vice-versa.

But add up those increments of progress over 15 years, and it sums to the difference between the '86 GSXR1100 and the new 1000--50hp, 70lbs, and .75sec in the quarter mile. Not to mention the vast improvements in brakes, tires, and handling.

If it makes you feel any better, the R1 had a good, long run at the top of the heap. Long, at least, in motorcycle years.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 07:12 PM   #3
tony
Founding Member

Last year you didn't see any R1s sitting on the floor. They were all spoken for. The other day the dealers had two so if that was and still is the bike you want there easier to come by. Actually it's nice that you can afford the latest, hotest bikes of the season. Imagine trying to buy a new car that has all the latest tech stuff.

I'm still on the conservitive side and wonder if the blackbird or Hayabusa are to lean forward.

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 10:24 PM   #4
john
Founding Member

thats not a fair comparison. The GSXR is a street bike. The R7 is a $30,000 race track only bike in the US. It is not sold as a street model. It would be just as fair to say a WSBK factory prepped ZX-7R can whoop the out the GSXR. Oh ya think?

Haga's R7 is piutting out what, 180 rwhp or so??? It weighs what, 320 lbs????

Oh yeah, i guess haga's bike would be more like $500,000 huh?
Old 01-16-2001, 03:08 AM   #5
Bandit1216
Founding Member

It certainly sounds like you have an axe to grind, since you state you don't own any of their products.

I have a '98 Bandit 1200 which has been pretty extensively hotrodded; it has never given me a moment's trouble of any sort. I also own a '96 GSXR-1100... a little dated technology-wise but great fun to ride and also not a spot of grief, even after being flogged mercilessly by the hamfisted squid/mechanic wannabe who owned it before me.

Perhaps you can tell us about your experiences with your favorite brand, so we can assess the merits of your commentary a little more effectively.

Ed

Bandit1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:54 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

What exactly do you mean, born-again? And what does this have to do with motorcycles??
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:58 AM   #7
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Brevity being the soul of wit.....

Jealousy breeds resentment.
Old 01-16-2001, 06:03 AM   #8
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default To the dude who never got a speak&spell....

Yeah, man, sorta like a top-fuel nitro-methane dragster vs. your car, who would win?

Have you ever ridden, sat on, or looked at a race bike? Do you have any idea how far those bikes are from the ones you buy from the dealership? Why are you making a fool of yourself?
Old 01-16-2001, 06:08 AM   #9
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Who said we weren't opening our mouths?

I have been opening my mouth, and will continue to do so. I, however, did not spout off about how my bike was the baddest bike around. I bought a y2k model just to tide me over until this bike came out. Now I just have to find one.....
Old 01-16-2001, 06:15 AM   #10
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default I love computers!!

Reliability is no excuse for lack of power. That's fine that you love your macintosh, but obviously you don't have much fun with it.

#1: There are no decent games written for the Mac (Half-life, Unreal Tourney, Rainbow Six.)

#2: Even if there were, the Mac has no decent video platform other than the Raedon, which is far from the best.

Long Live AMD!