Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #21
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: The Difference

Excellent... when you find some legitmate reason to hope email me. I then officially label myself a skeptic. Until then, I'll be firmly over here in the cynic camp.

it's very simple. Dubya is driving the car towards the cliff at 80mph. Kerry wants to accelerate the car in the same direction.

I'm stuck in the backseat wonderin' why I didn't take my motorcycle.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #22
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: New SV1000 coming to America

This guy is smoking some good stuff. The weight difference is 2 pounds per the suzuki web site. And the following is what they say they have changed:

"New black-painted frame, swingarm, and wheels for more sport appearance

Increased engine performance with higher 11.6:1 compression ratio, 20% less crank inertia, larger 54mm throttle bodies, shorter airbox inlet tube, revised cam timing and two air pressure sensors per cylinder for more precise fuel injection volume control

California model equipped with catalyst in exhaust to reduce emissions

Headlight switches off during startup to reduce load on battery.

Not exactly gobs of updates and no suspension changes. 110 rwhp is nothing to scoff at anyway, especially for this bikes purpose. Have you ridden one? Very nice power, though the spin up could be faster. Some like the way it looks too.

Listen, look at the competition in the same class...the Superhawk, Z1000 and FZ1. I like the power application of the twin so that leaves the Superhawk, which I owned prior. Nice bike but a world of updates and 4 grand later it still was not as good functionally as the SV, and its looks are a little dated. You could try the RC51 for 4 grand more, but it is only making about 8 more HP and I am betting the difference in perfomance is not noticable on the street. The SVS is what it is meant to be...a good v-twin sportbike for the street, and a great value for the money; now with a few updates along the way. You can fix alot to your liking with the 4 grand you save versus a literbike or RC51 and have a distinctive bike that is not seen on every corner and sounds fantastic. I think if you actually spent some time on one your comments would not be so negative.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #23
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Heh heh. Little do you know.

Sounds like somebody wants to set up a fight, in the school yardÂ…"Â’tween me, and da Dude." Sorry, afraid IÂ’m gonna be a no-show.

Facts, being what they are, thereÂ’s little profit in playing "agent provocateur" to, or for, an anonymous peerage. In the parlance du locale: I ainÂ’t playin no damn monkey, for no bunchÂ’a fools, soÂ’s they can sit-round laughin their silly-ass heads off, ayt (or, something, like that).

Funny thing is, I actually had to ask my son what a "Flame War" is. And, since, from what he told me, weÂ’re not exactly talking Disraeli vs Gladstone, here: been there, done that, thanks, but no thanks (got better things to do).

Old 10-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #24
jungkvist
Founding Member

Yes! Yes! Yes! You've got it. God, I love playing the straight-man. Everything you said was dead on. As a V-twin starting platform, considering the after market, the SV can't be beat. External bits are the cheap and easy stuff, compared to enternal engine work; and, the engine is what Suzuki seems to have worked on, the most. Now, all a guy has to worry about, as far as up_grads go, is stuff that can be pretty much done in his own garage. Okay, chances are, most of us are gonna need some help setting up thing like Power Commanders, but compared to "Real" engine work, who cares. Still, it sucks that the naked SV1000 is, no more. I always thought that half the fun of owning an SV was sitting around thinking about what I was gonna do to it next. Thanks for keeping the ball rolling.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #25
HobbleFoot
Founding Member

I got all excited for nothing. I too feel his pain, though. I owned an SV 650 and so anticipated having the same bike with a bigger motor. I was hoping for a naked TLR. The TL engine is very large, which contributes to the SV 1000 weighing more than I had hoped. It's physically bigger than the RC51 motor and is way bigger than KTM's new twin. I think the KTM will have the kind of performance and small bike feel the SV 1000 should have had. Shame it's so freaking ugly.

Oh and the frame on the SV 1000, they say it had to be that way to reduce the number of welds making it lighter and stronger, etc. Do we really care? The old SV 650 frame looked so much better and I never noticed any structural problems.
HobbleFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:37 AM   #26
5valvethumper
Founding Member

I still don't understand what the he11 this post's about.
5valvethumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 04:28 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Heh heh. Little do you know.

Nah. No one needs to set these things up.

Never mind. You'll see.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #28
5valvethumper
Founding Member

To add to what I ment above - Are we talking about a SV1000 or SV1000S? I understand there is no more SV1000 here, right? Is this story a wishlist?
5valvethumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #29
Marin_Cycleworks
Founding Member

We're a Suzuki dealer and have no idea what this is about. The '05 we saw at the show (Vegas, July I think) was about the same as the '04 except for colors and minor tweaks. The black frame looked good, though.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #30
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: The Difference

Oil business is booming here in Calgary, come on up I'll get you a great job. Plus free healthcare, better schools, no crime and lots of choices in government. (as long as you like the color red)
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote