Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 03-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #51
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: SV650S for novice rider?

Having watched sons,step sons,friends,wifes,etc. start riding, I think this is bad advice.Beginners get over their head easily and make mistakes. They need a bike that is forgiving....light,low with a friendly power band. My son started with aZX6R but he had years of dirt riding experience. My advice for a beginner bike for a novice who is a little tentative is an EX500 or GS00 or similiar. For a more confident beginner like Scott,an SV650/Monster 750/Moto Guzzi Breva 750/FZ6 or something similiar is a good choice.But i really think Litre sport bikes are too unforgiving for most beginners
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #52
motonut_1
Founding Member

I have an SV650 and a DL1000. They make a great combination. If I didn't already have the 1000, I'd be thinking DL 650. They are both great bikes and will accomodate riding skills far beyond a new rider's. That's why so many SVs end up on the race track either doing club racing or track days. It's also why insuring them has become inordinately expensive.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:44 AM   #55
maladg
Registered Member

Well, Scottlit...IF you have waded through all above drivel to get all the way down here - here is my 2 cents worth: buy used, buy small. Avoid high powered bikes. You can always sell and move up as fast as your skill and pocketbook allows. Good luck...with MOrons giving you advice, you'll need it.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #56
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: Sportbikes 101 SV650S is like kissing your sister (The minivan of sportbikes)

Hey my sister is a pretty good kisser. Well, that's what my Dad says.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #57
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: GAWD IT'S ALL SO DULL...But in your honest opinion...

I agree with some of the blandness of the SV, but at the same time I think it is a great bike. But Johnny, what I really would like to know is what you think of the old Yamaha YZF600R? I've read a few positive reviews, and as I am looking for my second bike, I'm leaning quite favorably towards the Thundercat's direction. It seems plenty fast, and is soooo comfortable in comparison to the newer 600s. Not to mention pretty nice looking in the Silver and Black. Your thoughts JB?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #58
ninjakris
Registered Member

Today's litre-bikes are too much for a lot of experienced riders too. The GSXR1000 for example is absolutely an experts only bike. I've been riding sportbikes for 15 years, including a couple of season racing, and I wouldn't buy one.

The SV650 sounds like a good idea. All the magazine writers call the SV one of the funnest bikes around. And they are pretty jaded.
ninjakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #59
ninjakris
Registered Member

Default Re: Sportbikes 101 SV650S is like kissing your sister (The minivan of sportbikes)

It will take $2000 to get it to 600 levels and still it would be down on horsepower and brakes.

That doesn't mean it isn't every bit as good a streetbike. That just means it can't compete on the racetrack at 10/10ths pace. In everyday, in-town strteet riding, 35 mph is 35 mph regardless of what you're riding.
ninjakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

He wouldn't know. He hasn't made it up to 35mph yet.