Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/)
-   -   SV 650s for novice rider? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/2343-sv-650s-for-novice-rider.html)

Puck 03-09-2004 06:46 AM

Re: SV650S for novice rider?

This person is a retard

Mooner 03-09-2004 06:48 AM

I also had the lasik done (about one month ago) It is great! They cannot currently fix the problem everybody encouters as they age (i.e. the need for reading glasses). Don't know about not riding for 90 days. They told me no "contact" sports. I don't consider downhill skiing a contact sport, so I went 3 days later. Can'y go riding yet (darn snow), but don't see why it would be a problem.

Tigercub 03-09-2004 06:48 AM

What? Are you crazy? You don't want to start a new rider out on a bike with a plain bearing crank and single-leading shoe front brake. He needs a '69 or'70 Tiger 650. Twin-leading shoe front brake, single carb, roller-bearing crank. That thing was built for sport-touring and a great reliable commuter bike as well. Also, I have a spare set of points for one if you're interested.

Tigercub 03-09-2004 07:01 AM

You've got the right attitude. There are three things to think about what you need in this bike.

1) It should have good throttle response at low RPM when on and off the throttle. No bucking. Stay away from 4-cylinders and small flywheels. You want a twin with a big flywheel.

2) The brakes should have a progressive feel and excellent stopping power as the lever is squeezed harder with 3 fingers.

3) The bike should roll into turns all the way to about a 45 degree angle and roll right back up with a little throttle or push on the bar.

The Triumph Bonneville does all this pretty well and probably so does the Suzuki.

rowdo 03-09-2004 07:08 AM

I had a 2002 SV650S. Now I ride a Volusia (800cc cruiser). In terms of comfort, it's night and day. On the SV I used to take breaks when going on long rides. On the Volusia I can go for hours and not feel tired.

Yes the SVS is a nice bike, but realize that like all sporty bikes it's built more for "looks" than comfort.

Rowdo

PS: My girlfriend's butt prefers the cruiser seat hands down.

sarnali 03-09-2004 07:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback on LASIK everyone. I've worn glasses most of my life and I've been thinking of looking into getting my vision corrected.

Buzglyd 03-09-2004 07:14 AM

Yeah well try getting your attitude corrected too!

Oops! Sorry I thought I was replying to KPaul.

mile_eater 03-09-2004 07:14 AM

Good. Don't discuss the points I made about a mature individual being able to handle a more powerful bike. Just throw an insult. I guess that's easier than actually thinking huh? Who wants to use a few grey cells when you could just take 15 minutes to peck out that 5 word sentence.

In the future, if you are going to reply with one sentence, at least take a few seconds to edit it for content. Is 'this person' refering to me, or the author?

sarnali 03-09-2004 07:17 AM

Re: A cruiser rider who wants to switch, longride say it ain't so. Get a 600 SuperS

Come off it, Kpaul. The SV is for all intents and purposes every bit as good a street bike as your 600, plus he said he wanted a standard.

I'm sure you know your bike well, but since you don't have alot of experiance on differant bikes how can you say that the inline 600's the best for all situations?

sarnali 03-09-2004 07:20 AM

Re: instant A-hole, just add alchohol

Nothing wrong with MY attitude M@&^%*^$$#@@R Maybe you need my size 12 to tighten your nuts

Oops, sorry I thought I was Kpaul.