Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 03-09-2004, 06:38 AM   #21
scottlit
Founding Member

Default Re: SV650S for novice rider?

Thanks to everybody for their great responses, BTW.

As for the LASIK, it's been great so far. My prescription was around -5.00 in both eyes before the surgery, corrected to 20/20 with contacts. At my two week follow-up, I was 20/20 one eye, and 20/25 the other, and with both eyes together I could with effort make out the 20/16 line. I think my vision has improved further since then.

I've got a follow-up appointement tomorrow for them to check on how I'm healing up, and was told at my initial consultation that it usually takes several months before your vision completely setlles down (read: don't be upset if you're not 20/20 by the morning after the surgery, or the week after, or even the month after, but give it some time), so I'm looking forward to gradual, continual improvement over the next few. I expect I may need a follow-up surgery (covered under the initial cost) to get me to absolute perfection, though (where the machine can detect no refractive abberation), but we'll see.

Oh, and I can see both close-up and far without any problems or need for correction.
scottlit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2004, 06:41 AM   #22
mile_eater
Founding Member

Dude. You ain't 16. You're a big boy. Don't waste your time on a 650. Go get a litre bike. You are mature enough to ride one. I road my first street bike at age 28. A tricked out honda 929. My first bike, and the bike I still ride, is a CBR 1000F. The whole point of being mature and responsible, is that you get to play with the GOOD toys. So go do it.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #23
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I believe that the 305 Scrambler was designated the CL77, and was not considered to be a beginer's bike when Honda introduced it. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:00 AM   #25
James_Brown
Registered Member

Read the multi-bike shoot-out that MO did last year, which featured the SV:

http://mailhost.motorcycle.com/mo/mc...3_Mini_Nakeds/

You can pick up a very lightly used M750 for just over $4k. The maintenance costs are less than most would lead you to believe. When I bought my M750 just over 2.5 years ago, I had not been on a motorcycle in nearly ten years. I have found the Monster to be a very easy bike to live with.

James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

If you are looking for a purely novice bike then you'd have a hard time beating a Suzuki GS500E. You can find one really cheap used. A couple months on one and you'll be ready to tackle anything. Well, maybe not the new crop of literbikes, but almost no one is really ready for those.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Suzuki has dropped the plain SVs in both 650 and 1000 for 04. There might be some 03s around still.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #28
rsb_joseph
Founding Member

The SV is the perfect bike for you. For the record any bike you ride these days is fast enough to kill you or slow enough to get you killed. So do not worry about those that tell you the SV650 is too much they are comparing the bike to the old 70-80's bikes which were started and stopped slowly. The SV will start and stop quickly. The key to what bike you should select is in the connection of your brain to the throttle. If you are a sensible individual you will do OK and ride within your limits you do this and you will be OK. Don't fear motorcycles respect them.
rsb_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #29
rsb_joseph
Founding Member

The SV is the perfect bike for you. For the record any bike you ride these days is fast enough to kill you or slow enough to get you killed. So do not worry about those that tell you the SV650 is too much they are comparing the bike to the old 70-80's bikes which were started and stopped slowly. The SV will start and stop quickly. The key to what bike you should select is in the connection of your brain to the throttle. If you are a sensible individual you will do OK and ride within your limits you do this and you will be OK. Don't fear motorcycles respect them and always wear gear!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 AM   #30
rsb_joseph
Founding Member

The SV is the perfect bike for you. For the record any bike you ride these days will either be fast enough to kill you or slow enough to get you killed. Plus who wants to buy a bike they are going to sell 3 months later. You are not buying your your last bike, but do not settle for something you will not be happy with because somebody scared the hell out of you.

Do not worry about those that tell you the SV650 is too much they are comparing the bike to the old 70-80's bikes which started and stopped slowly. The SV will start quicker but also and stop quicker.

The key to what bike you should select is in the connection of your brain to the throttle. If you are a sensible individual you will do OK and ride within your limits you do this and you will be OK.

Don't fear motorcycles respect them and always wear gear!!!