Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 03-09-2004, 05:14 AM   #11
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Default Re: SV650S for novice rider?

I've owned an SV650 standard model with a Targa fairing for four years now and it works quite well, but I have just purchased a DL650 (same motor with a few modifications) and I think for someone 6' tall it might be even better. It has a more comfortable seat, can readily accommodate hard luggage and a top box and has smoother throttle response (good for a beginner.) I find the taller seat height and upright seating position gives better peripheral vision for commuting. Finally it has a larger fuel tank. It's the first bike I've owned in years that can go over 200 miles before hitting reserve.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2004, 05:31 AM   #12
naco_traficante
Registered Member

I've got an 2002 SV now and I don't see any problem. There are other good bikes available in the same general price/power range, too, but the SV bikes are pretty predictable if nothing else. Check out http://www.svrider.com/

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:43 AM   #13
tsrzad
Registered Member

Kudos to you, Jack.

Learning the limits of what hardware you currently is essential to appreciating any hardware upgrades you choose to make. Otherwise, new bling is just for benchracing!

Ted
Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm thinking that would be his second bike.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:58 AM   #15
Columbus
Registered Member

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what do you think of the DL650? I sat on one at the International Cycle Show, and I was impressed. I have a 2000 naked SV right now, but I wouldn't mind a bit more wind protection and better passenger accomodations.
Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:00 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

A CL305 Scrambler w/ trials-universal tires is a fine starting point.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:16 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: SV650S is a great choice for a fairly novice rider

You give some good advice Cherii, And your choice in bikes is pretty close to mine as well.

One of my daughters is an absolute bike nut ( don't know where she gets that ) and I was thinking an SV650 or 620 Ducati Monster would be a good first bike for her.

The standard SV1000 is on my short list of play bikes to have along with a dozen others, I'm just waiting for the money tree in my back yard to sprout.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

The SV650, as you can tell is a very popular bike around here, in fact part of the holy trinity of SV650, (pre-owned) VFR and Concours. I'm sure you'll be more than happy riding one

Now the real question, how did the LASIK surgery work? I've heard all about it but I've never actually talked to anyone who had it done. Are you happy with the improvement in your vision and did it bring you up to 20/20? Or do you still need glasses for close-up or distance. Did it solve your vision problems across the whole range?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:28 AM   #19
SF
Founding Member

In 2001, I was in the same position as you. I did buy a SV650S, and I'm glad I did! Pefectly realible, cheap to insure, good power and handling. You can pick up a used one for about $4k. Powerwise it's enough to grow into. Also, I think less power would quickly bore you. I've ridden less powerful bike and think they are also dangerous, esp. for highway riding as you can't get up to speed fast enough to get out of the way.

Ride both the S and naked versions as there is a difference in riding position and gearing.

Also check out www.svrider.com

Scott

PS: I now have an R1 and think the SV was a great starter bike.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:34 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Dude,

The LASIK is money well spent. I had it done in October. I was terribly near-sighted.

My vision is perfect in all respects. I don't need glasses for reading or up close work.

I may need reading glasses when I get older but that has nothing to do with the surgery.

Do it. Do it. Do it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote