Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 09-02-2003, 03:01 PM   #11
El_Duderino
Founding Member

Default Re: SV 1000 Review?

No wait, it's the Z1000, since you said "Z1000 Vs. SV1000". First is mentioned first. A Freudian slip, right? Unless you said so intentionally to throw us all off--In that case it's the SV1000. But a Sicilian would know that you are doing this, so naturally, you being smater than most Sicilians, it must be the Z1000.
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2003, 03:36 PM   #12
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: SV 1000 and the VFR

Well, I have a 1998 VFR and had a chance to put a couple of hundred miles on the SV1000s. I really liked the SV, 'specially as I love the V-twin thunder and gobs of torque. The seat on the SV sucks, and the bars put a little too much lean on for my taste. However, both of these things are easy fixes. Pluses for the SV include a more flickable feel, and it's a much cooler ride in the Georgia summer heat. VFR has it beat for refinement and passenger accomodations.

Brakes, handling, etc. are close enough that I don't think I could make a call without some serious time on some real twisty roads, including time to tinker with the suspension settings. Considering the price difference, I would pick the SV for one up, the VFR for two up. However, my VFR is almost paid for. So no, I'm not going to sell it for an SV. However, it is tempting.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
RonXX
Founding Member

I have an FZ1, and I think it doesn't compare to these 2 bikes. After all, it has good ergonomics, wind protection, power and handling while the Kawi has no wind protection, a rough power curve, and the Suzuki has the worst seat I have ever felt and a sport bike crouch for no reason at all. You could directly compare the naked SV1000 to the Z1000, but then they would probably both be less well rounded than the Speed Triple.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:17 PM   #14
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: SV 1000 Review???

'Roids?

So, it's like the, um, Schwartzenegger of diesel engines, hmm?

What I really want is a nice dual-sport thumper from that monster.

Anybody for a KLR6500?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:20 PM   #15
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

So I obviously cannot choose the bike in front of me.

And by the way...never get involved in a land war in Asia.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #16
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

I do not envy you the headache you will have when you are done reading this comparo. But, in the meantime, sleep well, and dream of large motors.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Six fingered man.

My name is Diego Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:45 PM   #18
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Six fingered man.

He's not all dead...he's just mostly dead.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:55 AM   #19
El_Duderino
Founding Member

Actually, except for a little off-idle softness, the power curve on the Zed is very smooth and predictable. A PC with a remapping has fixed that condition for those who've done the mod, but even so, not a lot of riders spend a lot of time there.

You're right about the FZ1 not comparing to these bikes--there's a lot of fine differences within this category of bikes, as with any other category these days. I figured that they would be comparing the non-S version of the SV to the Zed. The S-3 would be a great addition for the comparo, but it looks like they wanted to just focus on the Japanese makes, and that both models are new, whereas the Triple has had years of refinement.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:12 AM   #20
El_Duderino
Founding Member

Default Westley

Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.