Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 12-15-2000, 03:03 AM   #51
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 GSX-R1000

Yamaha has proven to themselves that the 5-valve design ultimately doesn't work as well as 4 valves, but can't drop the design for marketing reasons. The combustion chamber shape gets too squished for good flame travel. Ferrari tested with 5-valve heads for their F1 engines, but went back to 4 valves for their F1 engines because it works better. Yes, I know the 360 Modena uses 5 valve heads, and does well, but it's also not as highly tuned as their F1 engines, or an R1 engine in respect to specific power output/liter.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2000, 05:11 AM   #52
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Thanks. I'll keep those in mind, although if I stop at the Ice House, it'll be just to hang out. I'm not much on impressing people, I'm just here to ride. I can't imagine the new 1000 being much more uncomfortable than my "old" one, and, since I can't afford the masseuse, I'll just have to ease the pains with a stiff dose of my favorite Molson XXX!! I really enjoy Canada. The only thing I have a problem with is your anally-retentive border crossing guards. What a-holes! Anyway, I've been wanting to ride my bike up there to visit them, just wanted to have a friend to ride with up there. This year I'll be doing it regardless. My friends up there own a Bagel Schmagel in some college town out there by Guelph Line, (can't remember the name), if you ever stop in there, tell Paul (the owner), his Greasy mediterranean friend from Cleveland said hi. Keep the shiny side up.
Old 12-15-2000, 05:20 AM   #53
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

Not sure where you got that "most top ratings for the 929" from. Three of the five comparo's I've seen this year favored the R1 over the 929 and one favored the GSXR750.

R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 08:55 AM   #54
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Actually, I've crossed the border only in my cars, and got hassled. They had me pull over and searched my car. Those dirty bastards even had the nerve to make me pay tax on a bottle of rum that I'd bought here (and paid US tax on) and was already half-empty, sitting in my cooler! I also had an extra case or so I'd gotten at the border, and the girl said that they could CONFISCATE MY CAR FOR NOT PAYING TAX ON THE BEER! My buddy Paul has been down many times, carrying WAY too many cases of XXX for me, and only got hassled once going into the US, and the guy smiled and said "you know there's a limit on those", and Paul simply went into the building and paid a small tax on the extra cases, and was outta there. 'Course, we don't get taxed as heavy on booze, but still... For the most part, I enjoy the area, the friendly people up there, the food and cultural diversity, and the beer. Well, the strip joints are rockin' also, but, I digress...
Old 12-15-2000, 08:39 PM   #55
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Interesting post, but I really don't think the GSXR 1000 is any more dangerous to the average squiddlebutt than the new GSXR 750 or 600. Both bikes are equally easy to make rookie mistakes on, the 1000 may actually be easier to ride due to the toqueier power curve. Face it, all new sportbikes are fast enough to get a chump in trouble in a hurry, however, I bet there are very few people who get a 1000 for a first bike.

I commend you for riding an older sportbike. I agree that most people can't take advantage of your 5 year old bike, or my two year old gixxer or the latest and greatest. Those of us who keep our bikkes for more than 1 or two years probably get more enjoyment out of them than the people who continually by the latest and greatest.
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 10:27 AM   #56
Gabe
Registered Member

Well, I hope your credit is good enough too. Plus your health and life insurance.

Don't let anybody tell you you're not man enough for this bike! Remeber, riding a sportbike isn't about skill or experience, it's about purchasing power and raw bravado! Think how much respect you get when you roll up to your local sportbike hangout. Everyone will ooh and ahh! Of course, they'll all be thinking, "What a frigging squid!" But they're just jealous!

And besides, you obviously don't care what other people think of you, otherwise you wouldn't have posted such a pathetic statement!

Enjoy!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 07:48 AM   #57
Gabe
Registered Member

It starts to make a weird kind of sense when you see all of the "peeing calvin" stickers on the back windows of pickup trucks, with calvin peeing on a ford or chevy logo, depending on the brand of truck.

Here in America, we judge each other by our taste in consumer products. Not too surprising when you realize how little we spend on arts and education compared to other wealthy nations.

Old 12-18-2000, 10:57 AM   #58
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Funny thing, eh? Actually, I would consider things like the new 1000 ROLLING art, much more useful than some trendy painting or sculpture that does nothing. Personally, I'd rather get some use out of my "art". Would you say that those in Europe (or in the US for that matter) are not judged on the artwork of or in their homes? Also, why is it that, if we spend so little on education, that we get so many 'furriners coming here for school (using student loans that many of them default on), then heading home. Just a few thoughts to ponder...
Old 12-18-2000, 08:13 PM   #59
Gabe
Registered Member

Not at all! I am TOTALLY serious!

Old 12-18-2000, 08:26 PM   #60
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Deep thoughts from a monkey...

Well, Monk, I've pondered, and I gotta say, I think you missed the point. When I talk about us spending money on art, I mean society supporting artists with grants and what not. I don't have much respect for people who treat art pieces as consumer goods either.

Maybe you have a limited idea of what is meant by "art." It goes beyond sculpture and painting and goes to film, theatre, literature, dance, music, or any other kind of artistic expression.

I agree, motorcycles are beautiful expresions of industrial design. Wasn't there some show of motorcycles at some museum, somewhere? But the problem is, our culture will be judged not by its wealth, but by our art: the enduring things we produce. Ancient Greek wealth has disapeared (most of it was probably in slaves!) but Greek literature, art, architecture and philosophy lives on.

The GSXR, while gorgeous, is another culture's art. We discourage people from becoming artists in our society by underfunding art education and grants.

As far as education statistics go, I don't writes 'em, I just reports 'em. People come here to go to school because we do have some excellent institutions of higher learning, but notice that Swedish parents don't send their kids to High School here.