Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 12-14-2000, 08:37 AM   #41
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Widowmaker!

Why not keep the TL-R as a streetbike and buy a "track-only" bike? For 2/3rds the price of a new GSXR-1000, you could get an Aprillia RS250- this bike weighs 300 pounds and puts out 70 hp! It also has premium suspension, brakes, and a frame like a Mack truck.

I rode one on the street, and it was SO much fun. When the powerband hits, it's like sucking on a crackpipe.

A bike like the RS250 is a REAL racebike. Notice that open-class motorcycle racing has generated relatively little interest, except at the Isle of Man. But with 70 HP, you can focus on sharpening your skills and having fun, which is what riding at the track should be about.

After a few track days, you would be leaving 600's, R1's, 996's, everything, in the dust.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2000, 09:42 AM   #42
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Street/Track

It is obvious that this bike will be one of the hottest streetbikes available, but it will be on the tracks where it proves itself and will really have the potential to shine. This year's Isle of Mann TT should be insane; between the R-7/1, the R-1/7 and now the GSX-R1000, it is looking like it will be a good race. (It won't be the same without Joey Dunlop though.) AMA's Formula Extreme series will also be interesting with the addition of the new 1000.
Old 12-14-2000, 10:03 AM   #43
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 GSX-R1000

To ride twisty roads and turn. As many people have said, anybody can go fast in a straight line. Do you go 150 a lot in corners (I highly doubt it)? If you do that on public roads you're just looking to die.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 10:14 AM   #44
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda...defect-free?

What Honda Sport Tourer (lucky to get 100 miles on a tank) are talking about? A VFR (not likely)? Maybe you're thinking of the VTR, which is not a sport-tourer by any stretch of the imagination.

Also keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people may think a bike is ugly, but what matters is what the owner/rider thinks.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 11:42 AM   #45
caderider
Registered Member

Is this where that inappropriate 'gene-pool' comment goes?
Old 12-14-2000, 12:30 PM   #46
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

It would be nice if you never have to find out the hard way, BUT, those cow skins can save a lot of your own skin !!!

R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 02:21 PM   #47
Gabe
Registered Member

So please explain to me what the point is of having a bike that is incapable of being used safely on the street. It seems to me that the only purpose of having a F4 as a first bike is nothing but posing.

As far as speed in a straight line being safe on the street, you had better pick a long, long straightaway with NO potholes, NO driveways, NO cross-streets, and perfect smooth pavement with no traffic at all. Highway 35 south from Salinas, CA has a few stretches like that; otherwise, I wouldn't know where to go.

At 120 MPH, you are going almost 2/3ds the length of a football field every second. So if you see a car or other obstacle in your path 1000 feet down the road (15th of a mile!), you have about 4 seconds to react, plan and execute a course of action. You're going to need about what- 400 feet to stop? Leaving you with 2 or 3 seconds to react and start braking. You could probably do it, (if you don't panic- you DO practice emergency braking, right?) but what if you saw the hazard 500 feet away? That leaves you with 1/2 a second to start braking, or...splat!

Your attitude about cornering speaks of your lack of skill and training. You can safely lean an F4 way, way, way over. But you should take it easy if you can't see through the corner.

An inch of "wanker strip" is a lot- I run about 1/4 inch on the street and I consider myself chicken.

I would get a lighter, less powerful bike if I were you- you'll see that it's the cornering that's fun.

Old 12-14-2000, 02:38 PM   #48
Gabe
Registered Member

Wow! It's amazing how your story parallels mine, with the exception of the year in a wheelchair, thank God.

I also became disillusioned with big, powerful bikes, and my riding only improved when I started riding an MuZ Skorpion. Expert-level chasis and brakes with a 40 HP thumper motor teaches you what sportbiking is about- braking, cornering, entrance speed.

Is the VTR a racebike to be? 250 Production is a great class, but as far as I know, only AFM here in Northern California has it.

Pretty stringent requirements in that last paragraph- but of 5,000 GSXR1000 buyers, how many will fit that description? I'm gonna say about 500, and a lot of those guys will be killed as well. It's just plain sad.

Old 12-14-2000, 06:16 PM   #49
Gabe
Registered Member

Default What? A 2000?

That's LAST YEAR'S MODEL!!! Ha, ha, ha! If you're such a winner, how come your bike is so old and outdated? EVERYONE on this board knows that only bikes that are less than 6 months old are any good at all.

Aren't you embarrased to be seen on it?

Old 12-15-2000, 03:44 AM   #50
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Yes, I realize that it's been the champ the last 2 years, but:

1) Suzuki hasn't had a good 1100 for years

2) It's still a neutered series compared to the original Formula USA series started at Willow Springs.

I have friends that live in Mississauga, just outside of Toronto. Any good places to ride there when I go and visit them this summer on my new 1000?
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote