Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 12-13-2000, 04:09 AM   #11
AWD
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 GSX-R1000

From what I have seen, neither Suzuki or Yamaha has the market cornered on dependable machinery. The first R-1s had clutch problems, for example. Honda is likely the only manufacturer out there that releases defect-free bikes.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2000, 05:14 AM   #12
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I owned a '97 GSXR600 for 3 years, bought it new, and never had a single problem with it (except for when I dumped it.) Even after that, it ran like it was brand new. I beat the crap out of that thing, running into the rev limiter, countless clutched wheelies, and it never broke. It always fired right up, ran smooth, and never lost any power. I will sell my R1 and buy a GSXR1000 confident that I will never need Suzuki's quality assurance program.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 05:15 AM   #13
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

To those that say 99% of the owners will never be able to use more than 75% of the capabilities of the latest-and-greatest sportbike, and that a much better rider on a bad bike will still beat you, I agree. To those that say more squids will now be able to shorten the time between ZOOM! and SPLAT!, I also agree. BUT....having better equipment doesn't make you a better rider per se, but ALLOWS you to ride better, and is a better tool to TRAIN you to be a better rider. Also, for 2 riders of equal ability, the one on the better bike will be faster and safer. And if the riders are of similar talent (one a little better than the other), but differing levels of bike, that may be enough to allow the inferior rider to be faster. I like to ride hard, but for fun, and am not interested in "racing" anyone out in the twisties. I would always like to have the better bike, because, riding within my self-imposed limits, there will be more of a safety cushion if something goes wrong. I suspect most people would feel this way. Besides, riding a bike with lower limits than the rider isn't fun, and doesn't push you to try and become a better rider, to try and fully explore and learn your personal and the bike's limits.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 05:53 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki = GREAT reliability

The new Suzuki is the bike to beat, no matter what all these other dingleberries might say. (I own a 2000 R1.) But come on, dude, 3000 miles in 3-4 years? I bought my R1 in July, and quit riding in October with 2600 miles on it.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 05:56 AM   #15
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

I would like to be faster, but with the same % of effort and adrenaline. If, on my old bike, I'm comfortable (by comfortable I mean MENTALLY) at a 60MPH average through a certain route, then I would like to be as comfortable doing 65, or 70 with the new bike. The better, easier-to-ride machine leaves more room for error at the same pace, or the same room at an elevated pace. Nobody ever claimed my '86 (with those 18" wheels) steered lightly, unless you compared it with the open bikes of the time. Against today's bikes, it steers as heavy as a truck, but it's stable and solid.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 06:03 AM   #16
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Got a bit carried away there...

Sorry, things got a bit heated and I don't tend to think through what I say at 2 am.

First of all, I've had the same sort of life-threatening anaphylactic reaction that you describe and it wasn't fun at all. I probably shouldn't have spoken so fliply about it.

Second, the 99 SV review is certainly on par with most other motorcycle reviews, either online or in print. I guess I'm irked by first-ride reviews in general because they tend to all praise the bike and don't address long-term reliability or other issues of practicality. Of course, every first ride on every bike I've ever tried was fun, too. I can't blame the reviewer, I can blame the motorcycle companies for not giving out long-term test bikes to reviewers.

In general, though, I would like to see more tests for streetbikes (I don't like the term budget-bike because it implies that there is no reason to choose an SV over a GSX-R besides money) at MO.

I apologize again for my hasty words last night, and I should mention that your review of the SV is one of the things that keeps the bike on my "Maybe the next bike I purchase" list.

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 06:06 AM   #17
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Try looking in MO''s bike reviews, jerky!

I disagree that there is nothing to write about in the sport-standard category. The most useful thing I can think of would be a shootout between the bikes (SV, ZR7, Bandit, etc) so we can see their strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. A "first ride" review tends to say the same thing about every bike in the genre (cruiser first rides all say they're pretty and torquey, trackbike first rides all say they're darned fast, and standard first rides all say they're practical and kinda fun once you let your hair down). And for someone who is currently looking to buy a bike in that genre, a shootout of four bikes is a lot more useful than four "first-ride" reviews.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 06:17 AM   #18
roadload
Founding Member

Default Re: Try looking in MO''''''''s bike reviews, jerky!

I agree Cycleworld is a complete yawn.And as far as your review goes it was pretty much on the mark. I got to ride a friends SV the other day and found it to be quite a different experience from my gsxr. Its a great bike that for me would serve as a good compliment to my 750.
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 06:21 AM   #19
roadload
Founding Member

You are correct sir!
roadload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 06:58 AM   #20
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

In the immortal words of The King: