Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-20-2001, 11:21 AM   #91
miket
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 GSX-R1000

Now where have I read those exact words before - a few weeks ago?

miket
miket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2001, 11:50 AM   #92
miket
Founding Member

Default Re: Funded by the government?

Art indeed.

On AIDS - Guys, your ignorance and biggotry are showing. AIDS is not a gay disease. It happenned to attack them early because they had behavior patterns that begged for it to kill them. It did and still is. But when info came to light, they largely changed their behaviors, and their infection rate dropped. They are now still gay, but a lot more carefull. It's a pitty the other at risk groups don't change their behaviors as quickly or thouroughly - like promiscuous hetrosexuals & IV drug users.

AIDS has a very long gestation period where you show no symptoms but are contageous. That makes for a credibility gap and a low care factor in people who are not well educated or smart. The methods of avoiding it are far more accessible to the smart and the wealthy. AIDS is a diease that selectively kills the poor and stupid. Trouble is, they pass it on to the innocent and trusting before they die. A world with less stupid people might not be a bad thing, but it's shame so many innocent women and children are going to die slow and horrible deaths to make it that way.

Art - I know what I like and don't like, but I also know I don't know a damn thing about art, and my opinion is only an opinion. That's why I elect people who employ people who do know, and they decide what should be supported with public money. I admit, I could use some of those art dollars on my GSXR1000 - but there is a system in place make decisions I'm not fit to make and I help to pay for it. Otherwise we'd be at the mercy of someone else's ignorant opinions, and live in a world shaped by guys like you. In a lot of cases, that'd be a pretty small, sad world. Government sponsored WWF and monster-trucks, re-runs of Bill Clinton's guest appearence on Baywatch... Ever read the history of Rome? I guess not.

Let's stick to bikes - at least we get something close to an intelligent argument happening there.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 02:43 PM   #93
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

Yes, Superbike has had a hard-on for the ol' Fireblade since it came out. WTF's up with them? I imagine they could test it against the entire World Superbike lineup and still find a way to say the 929 was soooo much better. I will not be the least surprised after the GSXR-1000 wins all the shootouts, and SB is the only one picking the 929, still raving about it.
gsxrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 03:06 PM   #94
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

As tired as I am of this whole "my bike is better than your bike" crap, and as much as I agree that the rider does have a great deal to do with it, you cannot deny that a faster/better handling/blah blah bike makes a rider faster, or everyone with half a brain would save their money and buy a little 4-stroke 100's. No matter how good you are, you don't beat a porsche down a twisty road with an 18-wheeler (unless you start in front). This is why the Air Force isn't flying wooden biplanes any more.
gsxrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 06:09 PM   #95
R1Rob
Founding Member

Looks like there is a new benchmark motorcycle for all of us to appreciate. As an owner of a '98 R1 I can honestly say that any bike with more power and less weight has got to be unbelievable. In the sportbike world the 3 years the R1 was on top was an eternity! As great as the GSX-R 1000 will be it is a compliment to Yamaha's YZF-R1 that it is the bike that the new Suzuki is compared to. It is also flattering that Suzuki incorporated many of the R1's design themes (e.g. exhaust valve, longer swingarm, litre class power in a 600 size package).

Back in '97 and '98 the press said the same things about the R1 as I am hearing about the new Suzuki (wheelie happy, too much power for the street etc.). April 2001 will mark 3 years of riding on my R1. I waited months to get it and it was worth the wait. All I can say to those of you waiting on the new "benchmark" motorcycle is take the time to learn your new bike. Take the time to learn what such power in a light weight package can do. It can bite back hard. If this is your first bike, buy something else!

The reality is that if it handles anything like the GSX-R 750...your own riding will probably let you down before the bike will.

Ride safe!
R1Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 06:35 PM   #96
R1Rob
Founding Member

Yea, let's see...look at all the BMW R1150Gs that have won the Isle of Man TT and all the other races around the globe! Why isn't it the bike everyone is talking about!?!
Old 01-21-2001, 06:52 PM   #97
R1Rob
Founding Member

I heard that Yamaha's 2001 R1 was supposed to be fuel injected with ram air...bet they waited to let Suzuki take a shot with the 2001 GSX-R 1000 (Suzuki had the R1 as the target now Yamaha has the gixer as their target). Suzuki looks like the one that has finally raised the bar. Honda only equalled the R1 with the 929!

Just think what fuel injection and ram air will do with an R1!!!!!
Old 01-30-2001, 06:12 AM   #98
RacerXXX
Founding Member

Ummm... riiiiiiight. That's EXACTLY what I didn't say. Thank you for your insightful comments Beavis.
RacerXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 06:45 PM   #99
dvar
Founding Member

R1 got owned by gsx750 on the race track and its gona get whooped all over by the gsx1000....sorry
dvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 12:27 PM   #100
woodman
Founding Member

hell yea my R-1 dosent even run right until around 150 mph, in fact thats only 4th gear!!!! Not all of us live near a track, nor do I feel like sitting in the saddle for 400 miles straight, so my track is the street.There are no podium finishes, no trophy girls, and no big sponser pay checks. First place on my track is having 4 cops on my ass and loosing them all in 2mins. Thank You Yamaha R-1
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote