Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #61
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I'm not saying it's wrong

I think my original statement here was perceived as being critical of Yamaha and Suzuki for "celebrating" anniversaries.

I'm a sales and marketing guy so I know a little something about this stuff. Harley is going to be getting an obnoxious amount of press coverage come summertime. Anyone would want to ride those coattails for a bit. That's called effective marketing.

If one thinks that Suzuki celebrating the 40th anniversary of their "charter" in California or Yamaha's 25th anniversary of the XS650 (commemorated by a 98 cubic inch Road Star!) is simply a coincidence doesn't know sales and marketing strategies very well.

If H-Ds 100th anniversary was in 2004 instead of this year, Suzuki would have waited and celebrated 40 years after its first bike was imported in 1964 (a very good year I might add! rather than celebrate its "charter."

I'm not judging any of these companies intentions or motives. I believe I'm simply pointing out the obvious. Quite frankly, I think both companies products are marvelous and agree the new R-1 is a work of art.

Now about that Orange and Black Hyabusa.................
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Coincidence?

I forgive you for not understanding how marketing departments think or press coverage works.

You're right. The 40th anniversary of filing paperwork in California is a big deal, a really big deal.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:05 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I'm not saying it's wrong

I'll have to come back and catch-up on these posts later. I'm still too hung over from all that wild partying we did last night celebrating that fantastic charter.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:15 AM   #64
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Celebrating the XS650 Special

Yeah, like building a "custom" version of the old XS650 is something to celebrate

They took an nice enough parallel twin Triumph clone and screwed up the styling and handling by trying to make the Truimph clone into a Harley clone.

OK, I am just p!ssed cause I am sorta halfassed looking for an old XS650 for the basis of a streettracker, and it seems that every one I find advertised, when I actually go look at it, is one of those effin' specials.

Hey, only about 2 more weeks! We want a full report when the baby arrives!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:41 AM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Celebrating the XS650 Special

What's funny about celebrating the XS650 is that Yamaha is ingnoring the VStar 650 (which is a nice entry level cruiser) and doing the anniversary deal with the 98 inch Road Star.

The dealer just called me yesterday and said he received the due bill so it's on the way! He used the call as an opportunity to see if I wanted to accessorize prior to the bike getting there.

The only thing I really want is the nifty organizer that attaches to the Tour Pak lid. That's only about $70 so he's going to be bummed when I don't slather the thing in additional chrome.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:05 AM   #66
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"I forgive you for not understanding how marketing departments think or press coverage works."

Then please explain it to me.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:54 AM   #67
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Celebrating the XS650 Special

"They took an nice enough parallel twin Triumph clone and screwed up the styling and handling by trying to make the Truimph clone into a Harley clone. "

Yeah, that's exactly why they annihalated Triumph in sales, because they "screwed up the styling".

They built what people wanted, and those people bought it. What a concept!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:02 AM   #68
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

So what? H-D is celebrating the anniversary of its first bike, which wasn't offered for sale to anyone (unlike Suzuki, which actually sold bikes in its first year in the US). Production bikes for sale from H-D didn't come until three years later, if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:44 AM   #69
YamaMISSILE
Founding Member

Default Re: 40th anniversary is what the

what a jealous non suzuki fan, you are the one pretty boring
YamaMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 09:39 PM   #70
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 40th Anniversary for Suzuki

Smartass!

I was referring to grammatical nuggets like this one:

"In a short period of time, Suzuki established itself as one of the major brands in the rapidly expanding motorcycle marketplace, due to Suzuki's new model innovations, its response to customer needs and the reliability of its products."

Why can't they just replace the second "Suzuki" in that sentence with "it's"?