Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-29-2003, 05:25 AM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 40th Anniversary for Suzuki

What's the big deal? Everyone knows that God rides a Harley.

That is, when he's not on his Gixxer.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2003, 06:26 AM   #52
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Lord knows Harley invented orange and black paint solely for use on motorcycles.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:31 AM   #53
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Coincidence?

Yep. Suzuki's trying to bask in the glow of H-D by putting special colors and badges on Hayabusas and GSX-R600's.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:02 AM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

Hey, even I'm getting tired of the Japanese getting hit for copying other's ideas.

Harley's centralization on V-Twins was simply their copying of aircraft radial engines, which were the most powerful air-cooled engines pre-WWII. so you could say that HD is a copycat too.

Almost all the luxury auto manufacturers are copying Mercedes and have been for years. Even some not-so-luxury cars. Remember Chryslers crappy K-cars? Complete Mercedes E-series styling ripoffs, complete with 5 pointed badges rather than 3 pointed badges.

Copycatting is a mainstay of any industry. Look at how many copycats have been made of successful movies? How many times are we going to see the plot of 'Diehard' or'Alien' rehashed? For that matter there is little that is fundamentally original since Shakespeare. A genius like Hitch***** comes along and then hundreds of shameless copycats film thousands of hours of schlock copycats.

Sure, the Japanese have taken a lot of flack for copycating and a lack of originality in the marketplace. Yet they have their own art and architecture that is unique and quite beautiful. Few things can beat a sand garden for beauty.

Maybe the Japanese should incorporate more of their own unigueness in their aesthetic designs, but as far as copycatting goes they're hardly worse than anyone else.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:40 AM   #55
rsheidler
Founding Member

While the original 'busa seemed like the ugliest bike I had seen, the styling has grown on me, and subesquent paint schemes are a big improvement. I like the burn orange look myself.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:46 AM   #56
rsheidler
Founding Member

Another example of censorship gone amok -- ya can't write "Hitch*****" so ya gotta say "Hitchprick"
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:14 AM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

Ah, the exciting life of a Charter Accountant! You get to wear that neat hat and carry a whip.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:05 PM   #58
sarnali
Founding Member

Good point, your Exellencey
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #59
sarnali
Founding Member

If you want to see beauty as defined by Japan, look no further than the '03 R1, that bike is drop dead gorgeous, Japans focus on copying other people's heritage is a little embarrasing When they have bikes like the Z-REX or GSF1400 both have a real 70's & 80's UJM look going, and the GS series, and of course..........THE BANDIT 1200S...............Gods personnel favorite [he told me]
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #60
kman45
Founding Member

Default 40th anniversary is what the "boring" anniv.

Wow, how exciting! The big 4-0 is celebrated by passing along a bunch of Alstare Corona Suzuki reps left over from last years stock in Europe, the biggest blobular orange thing ever (Hey, Schwinns, Speed Triples and the new Z1000 are cool in orange, not the Busa or Gold wings), and a little cruiser (how cute and perfect for you Florida riders).

Gee you'd think we could at least get the Bandit 12, SVxxx, and maybe the GSXR1000 in some type of cool retro corporate race colors or something.

Pretty boring pathetic excuse for a celebration.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote