Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 11-25-2002, 03:49 PM   #61
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

Agree about the Bandits, but shifting at 2,500-4,000? Geez, I never shift my effin truck at THAT low an rpm.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2002, 04:00 PM   #62
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

Hey, great idea with the G-Meter and printing acceleration curves -- kinda the same way that Dyno curves convey a lot more useful information than just peak hp/torque figures.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:04 PM   #63
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Non conversation?

exactly correct...an electric motor (by definition) produces its Max torque at 0 rpm.

Old 11-25-2002, 04:18 PM   #64
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Cardinal Fang!

NOOO-body expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

Our chief weapon is surprise. Suprise and fear.

(and a fanatical devotion to the Pope.)
Old 11-25-2002, 05:45 PM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How about 5-60?

My point exactly. We all get infatuated with the drag strip times laid down by the magazine testers under optimum conditions (or corrected to those conditions) and the free will to trash the equipment (I've got a dry clutch on my Duc too.)

The 5-60 test more accurately duplicates how most of us ride. Car and Driver does it. Will MO?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:24 PM   #66
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You caught me. :)

No I read them all. I just saw where you guys mentioned the VFR and because I am interested in buying the bike I wanted to hear more about why you guys think it is overated. Thanks for all the input. I don't mind filtering the name calling i.e. village idiot stuff about me . BMWs sell well up here to because of ABS probably related like you said about the CHP I bet. Just can't stomach a BMW even though my dad has a Z4 roadster. I think he should of bought a Honda or a new Z. BMW is too much of an old guys bike for me. The R boxers are too funky looking for me and the K bikes too big and clunky
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:27 PM   #67
KPaulCook
Banned

Default How about 0-60-0 test? or a 5-60-0? motorcycles have brakes too right?

Whats wrong with a 0-60-0 test or a 5-60-0 test? Why don't we see more braking tests?
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:46 PM   #68
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default R boxers are too funky looking for me

Now don't start in on boxers. They are made to be ridden. Try an oil head sometime, you'll love it.

Or, do you just hate all twin cylinder bikes?

MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:40 AM   #69
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You caught me. :)

A close friend of mine as an R100RT. It's really a good bike. Plush suspension, usable power, good wind protection and ABS. I agree with you though, it's not my cup of tea. I'll take the relative discomfort of my ST4 (compared to the BMW) because it is just a blast to ride. Soon I'll have my wind protection bike (Electra Glide) which I think is just gorgeous compared to the Beemer. Different strokes you know?

You might want to test ride an ST4s with ABS. If you took a VFR and added the hardbags ($$$) and Ohlins suspension ($$$$!!) you'd be at about the same price point.

The ST4s is 25 lbs lighter. 10-15 more HP and Torque. Better Chassis.

Mine is cheap to insure (Jap bikes get killed by insurance companies), Expensive to maintain (6000 mile valve adjustments, I don't know about VFR maintenance). Totally bulletproof/reliabe. Yes, a reliable Italian bike. Famed long-distance rider Peter Egan did 100,000 miles on his in less than a year.

I know you have a bit of a bias against Ducs but personally I think the ST series is about as good as it gets. Even my Beemer friend loves it and always has a huge grin on his face when he parks it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:14 AM   #70
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: How about 5-60?

An engine alone does not a motorcycle make.

(But there isn't anything wrong with the engine on the new VFR)

Here's what the v-tec does get you: A bike that performs every bit as well (if not better) as the previous Interceptor yet also meets CARB 2008 emissions standards while making some of the coolest noises that any bike ever made.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote