Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 11-25-2002, 02:10 PM   #51
Vlad
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the VFR, and how Honda will fix the electrical problems for free.

Um, I guess I just got lucky. I have a VFR, a 1998 that I bought new in 2000, at a heavy discount. I have taken it on two short tours of about 1,000 miles each, both in the summer, with some abysmally hot days. The only flaw in the bike is that it generates a lot of heat. My charging system, gee, it's worked perfectly. Yes, it's a little heavy, and no, it doesn't have high end suspension. Yes, it's comfortable, unbelievably so. And if you're willing to take the time to fuss with the suspension settings, you will find a significant reward in store when you get them right. Best open class bike? I don't know about that. It depends on the judging criteria. Most versatile bike? Yeah, baby. Oh, I just mounted a set of the new Metzler Sportecs. Mucho sticky. I love 'em.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2002, 02:10 PM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Hell this had nothing to do with my question!

Yep, I was a firefighter for 20 years and currently retired. I went back to school and am currently a programmer. Hope your Dad is enjoying retirement and not hanging around the firehouse too much! Yeah, the heads are it for a nice boost in torque in the right rpm range. The 203 would be my choice along with an S&S cam gear conversion also. That chain setup on the TwinCam is not the best from all reports. I am seriously considering doing my bike this year, but I'm already modding my 76 Superglide and I would also like to put some go-goodies on my ZX9R. Time and cash are the sticking points. Then again if I put another 20,000 miles on the Glide, I can then justify tearing it down and going for it. Your gonna love the Geezer, mods or no. I will envy that new CD player they have this year too. Your suggestion of a 5-60 is good, but get a normal sized guy on the thing instead of some 5'2" 120lb midget. Might be closer to real world numbers when a real world person is doing the throttle twisting.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:22 PM   #53
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hell this had nothing to do with my question!

I think I'll just do the aircleaner and touring mufflers in the beginning (I want to hear the cd player). Since you don't have the cd, get an Ipod and put all your tunes on that and plug it into the auxiliary port on the tape player.

My wrench also says that sending the intake manifold to BC Gerolomy for some massaging really makes a huge improvement even on a stock bike.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:47 PM   #54
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the VFR, and how Honda will fix the electrical problems for free.

>>Note whhat they say but form your own opinion after further investigation. <<

Very well said, Oh Wise One!

I find that to be true about many things, from car or motorcycle tests, to movie reviews to political commentators.

There are movie critics I like to read before choosing to see a movie, because, even though I often have a very different opinion of the movie than they do, what they tell me about the movie allows me to make a reliable prediction of whether I will like it.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:51 PM   #55
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

Of course, the Bandits and TLSs haven't exactly been flying off the showroom floors -- not sure about the XRXs.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #56
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Non conversation?

I guess a steam or electric engine (possibly some others) could be generating torque at 0 rpm, thus having torque but no horsepower.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:20 PM   #57
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: How about 5-60?

Most of us have too many brains to trash our own machinery doing dragrace style starts from stoplights -- the magazines don't care 'cause they are using someone else's bikes and don't have to pay for trashed tires, clutches etc.

Given the nature of dry clutches and the cost of replacement, I sure as hell don't do many burnouts with my Ducati, even on race starts (Hell, when you are gridded near the back of the pack anyway, what is the point of trying to gain a half bike length on the start anyway?)

Besides, there is a huge skill element, and most of us could not come close to matching the times the magazine testers get anyway -- especially true of short wheelbase/high CG bikes. I bet most of us would be much quicker off the line with a big powercruiser than on something like a gixxer 1000 or R1. 5-60 times probably would be a more realistic comparison of what we can and would do if it were our own bikes.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:29 PM   #58
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: How about 5-60?

I MIGHT we willing to accept the less power part if the VTEC gave the promised fatter midrange, but the way I read the dyno charts, the old version kicks its ass over the entire range. Given Honda's success with VTEC in it cars, I had high expectations -- seems like it should be a natural for a bike like the VFR, but apparently that ain't so.

I have not ridden the new one, but I have ridden the older ones and liked them a lot.

I think I may just look for a good used one (or maybe a new FZ1 instead).
Old 11-25-2002, 03:38 PM   #59
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

>>torque and massive hp are not mutually exclusive<<

Of course not, as horsepower and torque are mathmatically linked (power = torque X rpm X a constant).

What most of us are referring to here is not so much peak torque, but rather a nice fat torque curve, so ya gots plenty of it whatever stupid gear ya happen to be in at the time ya need it.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:47 PM   #60
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>By the way Honda will allow VFR owners to get a free ugrade on the alternator until 2006.<<

Given the reported problems they have had with the original ones, I would expect nothing less. I am sure that if it were Harley, Kawasaki, Ducati or BMW, they would have done the same.

Based on the writeup in the latest M@#orcyclist Magazine, Honda admits that it has a problem in slow or stop and go riding, but the magazine claims to not have done much of such riding, so that excuse seems kinda lame.

For my money, aside from the more weight/less power issues, I'd wait to be sure that they really got this thing fixed.

BTW, I really like the older VFRs and really expected to like this one too....