Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 11-25-2002, 09:14 AM   #41
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the VFR, and how Honda will fix the electrical problems for free.

I didn't buy my Ducati new. Motorcycles have such bad resale value in general (H-D the exception which is why I'm buying a new one) that I tend to wait a year or two. I think MSRP on my 2000 ST4 was about 13 grand. I bought it with 4400 miles on it for $7700. Admittedly that was a steal at the time.

ST4s models are about 15 grand msrp but they can be had for much less. It's a buyers market right now. The only problem is if you want ABS only 2003 model ST4s bikes have it.

I think the VFR carries a premium in the dealership because Honda seems so slow to ship them. In the dealership I worked in we got very few. I really think the older gear drive ones sound cool and wish that Honda hadn't dropped it. That was a unique characteristic of that bike and they sounded awesome with a Staintune system on them.

Living in SoCal as I do, ABS would be nice but it's not a "must have" here as it is in wetter climates. The CHP switched to BMWs here for ABS and officer accidents have dropped from what I here.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2002, 09:49 AM   #42
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: Non conversation?

Sure there's such a thing as a "torque only" bike. The engine is running, it's just not moving (har).
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #43
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Defending the VFR, and how Honda will fix the electrical problems for free.

Points taken, Thanks. You are right, I will ask and listen more. I always learn a lot from you after you call me an idiot.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:55 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

Hazu Kristo, all I said in the first place was that the VFR didn't cut it as Bike of the Year (except at the HMC subsidary, Cycle World). I never said a disparaging thing about the darned bike.

Sheeesh.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:07 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:08 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I never said a disparaging thing about the darned bike."

But you WANTED to! LOL No, it shouldn't be BOTY of any year really, unless all-around bikes are suddenly BOTY material. The TL1000 was BOTY in 97 and we all know how those worked out. It was a fun bike,but certainly had many problems the magazines kinda left out. I can't remember one motorcycle I ever bought that turned out just like the magazines said they were. Either they were much better or much worse, and many had chronic problems right out of the factory that were too glaring to not see. Motorcycle mags are like any other information source. Note whhat they say but form your own opinion after further investigation.

Old 11-25-2002, 11:26 AM   #47
jmeyn
Founding Member

In the first case you are right, of course. Else why did I put the stupid phrase in quotes.

In the second case, that you can gear down your bike to get any kind of torque you want was the whole point of my post.

I also said that buying more top speed than you can use is a waste of money.

We agree, totally, don't we?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:48 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

most indubitably.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:09 PM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Hell this had nothing to do with my question!

Well I don't know how my first post about 5-60 testing turned into a VFR love/hate post fest. I think 5-60 would be a valuable number to have along with other test results.

BTW longride, I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned being a fireman. My dad was an LA City fireman for 33 years. I also picked up that issue of Power&Performance. It's clear the HTCC heads are the way to go especially for a bagger. My wrench says to stick with the 203 cam rather than the 211. He claims it's better for a heavy bike like the Geezer Glide.

I'll have mine in January.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:53 PM   #50
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

I think I posted the same thing a couple of days ago (see above) and it turned into a VFR flame war.

I agree it would be a great test.