Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 11-25-2002, 04:25 AM   #31
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: How about 5-60?

CW's "Open Class Bike of the Year", the VFR800. Get real.

I rode a demo VFR on a twisty rural road in Arkansas near Hot Springs.

Best bike I ever rode. It's unreal how cool the engine sounds as it transitions to four valves. It is beautifully balanced for back roads twisties, has great ergonomics, excellent windshield, and it feels so much lighter than its predecessor. You have to ride one before you put it down. The spec sheet rarely tells the whole story.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2002, 04:56 AM   #32
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

I'm glad to hear u comment about jerky fuel injection, Huss. I have a 2002 Interceptor. The thing is like riding a bucking bronk. My previous bike, a Carburated VTR1000, was smooth as silk. And damn, I MISS THE TORQUE! The Interceptor is a comfortable bike (relatively speaking), but for two-up riding you need the torque. Nuff said.

Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:31 AM   #33
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Follow up to my query about the GSX1400

I think you hit it on the head.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:54 AM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the VFR, and how Honda will fix the electrical problems for free.

I don't think he ever reads the original posts. This thread was about my suggestion of a 5-60 test in addition to 0-60.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:04 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Defending the VFR, and how Honda will fix the electrical problems for free.

"Here is my opinion: Versatility in a word."

Now your opinion on motorcycles is based on versatility? What happened to price/performance? Now that the VFR certainly doesn't measure up there, you now change like the wind, and versatility is now the best attribute. Amazing too, the fact that Honda makes a shoddy charging system for many years, and then finally gets around to correcting it, and recieves such glowing praise from you. I wonder how much Harley praise would be forthcoming on a similar event? My,my, how the worm turns. My opinion, is that you don't really know what your opinion is. It seems to change daily, which is probably based on medication levels or after effects of shock treatment. Now please try to decide why a bike with a faulty charging system is "reliable", how "versatility" is now the most important feature, and how a 12,000 motorcycle that excels in nothing and depreciates like a sinking ship is a "great value". On a side note, one does not "break" hard in Seattle, but one probably does "brake" hard. In your case, it would be the former, if you actually had to perform the braking.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:24 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: How about 5-60?

I didn't put the Honda VFR down. I've never said it wasn't a nice bike. It's just simply not the Open Class Bike of the Year.

If you look at CW's write-up you'll notice that they don't mention the fact that the bike's fantastic new Vtech engine performs not one whit better that the old one. No, they give a glowing line of BS about stellar Vtech performance. And, as usual they forget to mention the stiff price tag.

Here are the dyno charts. After all, isn't that all that matters?

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdaily...02vfrdyno.html

Old 11-25-2002, 07:13 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

"VFR,s have excellent reliability" ? I'm sorry son, you're delusional, Charging system problems on the V4 engine go all the way back to '84,, as in my '84 V65 sabre toasted it's regulator, as well as early cam shaft failures, my '97 VFR, while a fun bike , cooked two regulators in 40k mi.'s ..The official party line? Riding in hot weather cause's them to over heat, You know as well as I do that this ain't no hot climate! hell, it we get liquid cooling 9 mo.'s out of the year! Goldwings have had consistant electical problems since the 1200 model in '84, You'd think an industrial powehouse like Honda would have figured out by now how to make a charging system that works, Suzuki also had charging system problems on the GS1100's but guess what? they relocated the alternator to outside the case's and solved the problem, Pity Honda can't try that eh? Honda may replace alternator's now, but that doesn't excuse almost 20 yrs. of sweeping it under the rug, I'd say right now Suzuki and Yamaha have got it all over Honda.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:45 AM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

Good points, thanks for not getting personal. The hard bags are now available at dealers. How much was your Ducati new? By the way I tested a new Interceptor last week. Although it is heavier than my Ninja, it didn't seem that way to me. The bike I tested had ABS and linked brakes. The pavement was slick when I took the bike for a spin. I did some braking (longride) exercises in a parking lot I was impressed.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 AM   #39
KPaulCook
Banned

I was optimistic that you were going to express your opinions without making a personal attack, but it is not be. Yes you are correct I should of said brake hard. After riding the Interceptor, I became more convinced of its versatility and excellent price/performance ratio . This bike can be driven across the country and can also do track days. The VFR delivers great performance: sub 12 sec quarter miles, excellent 60-0 braking distances, good gas mileage, long service intervals, etc. So I don't see my price/performance criterion at odds with versatility.[*] By the way I have decided to take the high road with you. i.e. I will not make personal attacks or attack the way you present you view.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:09 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The VFR is very expensive for what it does. There is no denying that. If you want to call it a "great value", be my guest. By the way it sells, and how they discount it around here, and looking at resale demand and values, Honda dealers and motorcycle buyers in general, would disagree with you. Motorcycle mags I read with suspicion, as you should also. It may be the perfect bike for you, since I doubt you ride very fast, take your bike to the dealer for maintenance, and won't keep this bike very long anyway. That was not a slam, but was a classification as to how you ride. Better choices, in my opinion, for lots less money would be a ZRX1200, Bandit1200, or even an FZ1. Try to test ride any or all of these. All these bikes are more reliable, cheaper, faster, easier to maintain, and more comfortable than a VFR. I am sure you have never been to a track, so a standard makes much more sense for you. Any of those can be taken to a track anyway if that really matters. I think what SHOULD matter for you is drivability, reliability, and price. With those things in mind the other bikes I mentioned are better, in my own opinion of course. This was not a slam at a VFR, but a thought out and reasoned opinion.

Next item:

Taking the high road with me is a very smart move. I don't suffer fools easily. If you make foolish generalizations about people and bikes, I will continue to call you on it, and make you look bad. When you have posted with some sense, you got a sensible replies from me. When you continuously lump people into unflattering catagories: i.e. "Harley riders", "Cruiser owners", "AMA members" are "trailer trash", "idiots", "morons", you will naturally get a backlash. Since you lump me in, I lump you up. I have never failed to answer a legitimate question for you. I think you should ask more than you tell, and listen more than you speak. Yes, I can go off like a cannon at times, and I really don't want to do that. I am not the only one that nails you to the wall either, although I may certainly be the most efficient at it. Since you are new to motorcycling, and are a bit limited in experience, wouldn't you think being less abrasive is a good idea?