Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 08-31-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: Bring it on!!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about! Bring on a bike like the boost king and watch all the others scramble to keep up. Maybe this will be just what it takes to make yamaha give birth to a new and improved V-max. Let the war begin.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2002, 03:35 PM   #2
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: New Suzuki Boost King Style Bike?

Over the years, I've attended dozens of dealer shows, all giddy in anticipation of seeing something truly new and innovative. Much more often than not, I went home feeling dissapointed.

It is a VERY rare occurance that the dealers know up front what new bikes will be introduced. Even the factory District Sales Managers aren't privy to the new stuff since their close relationships with the dealers they serve would likely result in too many of them spilling the beans. Manufacturers know that they'd have a tough time getting all their dealers together in one place if there wasn't the element of surprise to lure them.

It's possible that your dealer's clairvoyance regarding the Kawasaki Z1000 and ZX6-R was assisted a bit by spy shots in the European press.

My personal opinion? A B-King would not be able to sell in sufficient numbers to warrant coming over. If they do, though, it'll likely be because Suzuki wants to have a new floor-traffic builder in order to relieve the now 3 year old Hayabusa from this task.

If suzuki doesn't come out with a bigger brother to the venerable SV650 based on the TL1000 motor, I think they'd really be missing a sure-fire winner.

itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default SV1000 drawings

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28aug...idrawings.html
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Could a SV1000S be not far behind.

What a nice concept a SV650 and SV650S with big brothers SV1000 and SV1000S.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 02:16 AM   #5
rvfrules
Founding Member

The latest Japanese bike rags show pics of the finished Z1000, CBR600 and new ZX-6rr. Definitely on schedule for release.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 06:30 AM   #6
robb_millett
Registered Member

"If suzuki doesn't come out with a bigger brother to the venerable SV650 based on the TL1000 motor, I think they'd really be missing a sure-fire winner. "

Yeah, an SV1000 seems like a must-do (If you go by the 13-15 bikes that commute in daily at my work, the SV650 is the most popular bike sold, there are 3 two naked and one faired S model), and I wonder why it hasn't happened yet, but it seems that an SV1000 naked bike would steal sales from the Bandit 1200. Isn't that bike selling pretty nicely? (though I do see alot more ZR1000 Kawis on the street)

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 08:24 AM   #7
itchface
Founding Member

A valid point. But Suzuki sells the SV650 and the Bandit 600 concurrently, so a precedent has been set for this apparent marketing snafu.

I think very highly of the Bandit 1200, but based on how readily the SV650 outsells the Bandit 600, I think the big Bandit's days would be numbered if an SV1000 materializes.

However, the B-12's demise could persuade Suzuki to import the GSF1400, a tasty consolation prize for Bandit lovers in mourning.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:08 PM   #8
robb_millett
Registered Member

according t the euro reviews of the GS1400 that I've read it's a step above the B12 in fit and finish, but lacks the hooligan nature that gives the b12 it's "character"... (though I'm only formulating opinion from hearsay)...

whatever, personaly I hope the SV1k is a go, that would be another bike that I'd drool over massively, and then wait ten years to buy.

oh wait..... in ten years I'll be, um 57....well maybe I'll still be alive...
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default SV1000?

Suzuki had their chance with the TL1000S. It had a good motor, looks like the SV650, and was quite the track burner. Motorcyclist magazine had a test in 98 or 99 with the TLS and the YZFR1. The TLS beat the R1 around the track by a full second. The TLS had power and style, but America would not buy it then. What you are asking for is a re-badged TLS in the SV1000. America will not buy it now.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 11:52 PM   #10
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: SV1000?

When news and pictures of the the TL-S came out in '97, lots and lots of folks (myself included) got boners the size of bread loaves. Personally, I hadn't been that excited about a new bike since the '83 750 Interceptor.

In fact, most of the first few batches of TL-S's that arrived around my neck of the woods sold for way over MSRP due to the pent-up demand.

It was only when the word started spreading about all the problems this bike had (such as chronic stalling, horrible lean spots, jerky throttle response, atrocious gas mileage, tendency to overheat, propensity to tankslap, and, probably worst of all, a real crappy shock design that was almost impossible to rectify without taking out a second on the house) that the hysteria over this bike dissipated.

If Suzuki had taken the time to make sure the TL-S was done right back then, it would be the success that the SV650 is currently, I am certain.

I stand by my assertion that an SV1000 would be a huge sales success, as long as Suzuki does not repeat the blunders which caused the TL-S debacle.