Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 08-07-2002, 09:26 AM   #1
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Travis Pastrana Out for Remainder of the Season

Sad. Priorities, priorities, Travis!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2002, 10:27 AM   #2
kwayne_406
Founding Member

You gotta appluad the guy for doing Freestyle MX and AMA MX...but, jeez, has anybody been out more because of injuries???
kwayne_406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:46 AM   #3
Lincoln
Founding Member

Wow, Roger Decoster sounds really frustrated at Pastrana. He's going to have to make a career decision very soon - choose one sport and stick with it. i'd say he'd be better to stick with motocross and give up the freestyle.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:09 PM   #4
Pacer
Founding Member

I feel the opposite. I think that he needs to choose racing or freestyle. It is not fair to screw Suzuki. They have a great rider to have under contract. Contract, an agreement that you will do something (usually a job of some kind), in exchange for something else (usually money). Travis gets the money, but doesn't show up for work. Yes, I know he has a clause in his contract, but they pay him big money for no results. Remember the bottom line, Suzuki races to help their product line sell. From a financial stand point, Pastrana is turning into a liability. I also wonder if all this time away is starting to slow his learning curve.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
salesman
Founding Member

Default Travis Pastrana: Suzuki's Marketing Dream Boat

Remember that Travis is doing FMX on a S-U-Z-U-K-I. There are kids out there who want a dirt bike to cut up on in the back woods who will never run in an actual race. I've been selling Kawasakis for 4 years and I can say with confidence that 80% to 90% of the KXs we sell never come close to seeing a race track. These kids don't know James Stewart or Ricky Carmichael from a hole in the wall but they know Travis Pastrana from X-Games type televised competitions. Isn't there a movie out right now about extreme sports that features a whole heckuva lot of FMX? I've seen the commercials on ESPN. I've still got to "search local listings" (actually the web) to find out when the races will be aired. Where's the freakin' movie about MX racing? On Any Sunday? Is Steve McQueen still alive? Suzuki gets more exposure from Travis the Freestyler than from Travis the motocrosser by a long shot.

Salesman
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:09 PM   #6
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Travis Pastrana: Suzuki's Marketing Dream Boat

The movie you are talking about is called "Extreme X" or somesuch. I saw it, and it was really, REALLY cool. It was about the X-games and extreme sports in general, and was incredibly entertaining, even though I'm not really into that stuff. I had never heard of Travis Pastrana until then.

When you see the street luge part of the movie in Philly, you will want to go ride that road. I did.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
jmeyn
Founding Member

Yes. I'm surprised he isn't barred from freestyle in his contract. But he needs to go where his wallet and heart can make a compromise.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:25 PM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Actually, the movie is called "XXX" with Vin(?) Diesel and some hottie named Asia. Just saw the ad on the tube.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:30 PM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

I agree, salesman, and I think Suzuki knows what's up. The man, DeCoster, is pissed, of course, but I thionk Suzuki knows where the exposure potential is, and will stick with Travis in extreme stuff.

That being said, I'm more of a racing fan than extreme stuff, but the young ones are the target audience.

Old 08-07-2002, 04:01 PM   #10
timharrison
Founding Member

Who are we to tell this young man where his priorities should be. How would you like it if your boss asked you not ride on the weekends because you might get hurt? I wouldn't even know who Pastrana is if it were not for the X-Games. I think this guy can figure out for himself what he needs to be competing in. For that matter I've seen far more injuries on the race track the in FMX. If Suzuki thinks they are not getting their money's worth they can stop paying him.
timharrison is offline   Reply With Quote