Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-11-2002, 12:10 AM   #11
bluetunip
Founding Member

Default Re: Hayabusa-powered race car

Here is another cool car, with an even better power to weight ratio.. same weight at 430kg but with more horsepower.

http://www.caterham.co.uk/showroom

Superlight R500
bluetunip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2002, 03:18 AM   #12
dickdastardly
Founding Member

Yeah, but the Busa has TORQUE...which is most

imporatant for a car.
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:20 AM   #13
Lincoln
Founding Member

When i looked at it, the first thing that came to mind was CART or F1. But 175hp pushing 948 doesn't quite compare to the 900hp pushing 1200lbs of F1. looks nice though
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:06 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Problems encountered in such a project include the fact that the Suzuki engine is only designed to push a certain amount of weight. The engine bearing surfaces can be overwhelmed by too much vehicle weight and catastrophically fail. Whatever is designed had better be within tolerance or its bye-bye baby.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:18 AM   #15
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

You are talking about limits to the *continual* load it was designed for, of course, because most Hayabusa owners subject their engines to momentary stresses HUGELY worse than pushing a lightweight car around and the engine usually lives through it. *Continual* load in excess of design specs will cause an engine to wear out prematurely, yes, but "catasrophic failure" is not very likely under normal conditions just a shorter time before major engine overhaul is necessary. I don't think the target owner of such a beast would care too much about that (they are probably not going to use it to replace their Camry as a daily commuter).
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:26 AM   #16
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Wonder if it's thrown a cam chain yet?
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:45 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

You're right of course. I was just musing on what might happen if someone tried to do this at home without taking all the physics into account. You'd probably have to run the engine output through an intermediate device that would take up the load. It's be interesting to see the actual drive train they're using in this thing.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:05 AM   #18
Rafi
Registered Member

Well, even a car that produces 115hp can go 125mph or so (my old '86 MR2 is a good example). And that's with a 2500 lb. weight. So, if this car can't do 150mph, I'd be VERY surprised.
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:55 AM   #19
AXMAN
Registered Member

Given the fact that the raqcecar would be more arodynamic than the bike, I was wondering if that would make up for the extra weight? Perhaps it may be even faster????

AXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:08 PM   #20
elizilla
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't forget the curves....

Honda S2000 would be faster and better handling than the 'busacage, and likely cheaper as well. With its 9000 rpm redline it even sounds like a motorcycle, and the VTEC provides a noticeable kick.

elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote