Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Fixin to Get Ready

Even after all these years, it still takes an extra half-hour to get to sleep the night before a big ride. I’ll lay awake, playing out the ride in my mind, hoping I remembered all the little details, so in the morning I can get on the bike and go. I’m uncharacteristically deliberate during the getting ready time; my riding clothes are neatly arranged, all the items that go in the tank bag are there and waiting. Going over the bike before a ride is a ritual, wash, tires, oil, chain. Back in the Shovelhead days, there was a lot of thinking about which tools and spares to pack in the fork and saddlebags; of course, the right ones almost never made it in. With the new Suzuki I don’t have to wonder which part will fall off, or how much it will cost to get the bike home if it breaks along the way. But even though the tasks and preparation are different, they payoff is the same. Maybe this time it’s adding a power outlet for a GPS, or putting out a new mesh jacket with armor that I haven’t worn before. Make the preparations, see how I do.

Every ride, even the long straight ones that are just hours of getting there and back have that perfect moment. Today it happened just North of Palm Beach County. After endless months of miserable hot weather, when it seemed like summer would never end, Sam Suzuki and I hit the thermo cline at 85 miles an hour. The temperature suddenly dropped 20 degrees, and the hit of cool air put Daytona and leather jackets and early sunsets in my mind. It’s going to be another great riding season, me and my riding pals are going to do all the stupid stuff we do every year, all the stuff we say we probably aren’t going to do again next year.

I hope motorcycles and riding and laying awake the night before go on forever. Jobs and money and people and things come and go, but the bikes and the riding always stay fascinating. Huzzah! Motorcycles!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Why do you make such a big deal out of going across town for that special kind of coffee?

Jeez, you sound like you're going on a Sachi-type trek, or sumthin'!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Jeez, you sound like you're going on a Sachi-type trek, or sumthin'!
I won't knock what Sachi does for a lot of reasons, but the appeal of going as far as you possibly can as fast as you possibly can on a motorcycle escapes me completely. I dunno, maybe the IBs get a runner's buzz, or something. 400 -500 miles in a day is more than enough for me, thanks very much.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 09-15-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Unless, of course, you are in a race!
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Good thoughts Ken. The best riding here is coming up with the cool, sunny, fall days ahead. Alas, winter is not far, but I really don't want to think about that yet!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Good thoughts Ken. The best riding here is coming up with the cool, sunny, fall days ahead. Alas, winter is not far, but I really don't want to think about that yet!
Sunset over a cornfield can make a man kinda wheepy.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Ken,

I'm with you 110%! Unfortunately, most of my riding is either commuting or blasting to some destination. So I don't get to 'smell the roses' as it were. But, when you pass a field that has just been sprayed with fermented manure, that'll water yer eye!

However, I'm still going to enjoy the run up to Birmingham for the 'Barber Vintage Festival' the weekend of 17 October!

Hope it's not too cold! It'll probably be in the high 70's!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Corn is King baby!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Great times Ken, I went on a nice long one Saturday myself. A buddy of mine is in the Combat Vets International and one of his brothers just bought a place in Elma. It's nice out that way, all farm lands and trees. We stopped in for burgers and dogs and say hi to everyone, met some pretty cool people then pushed on to the coast where my dad lives at Ocean Shores. He was having a pretty good day so we hung out there for a few hours then headed back home, around 250 miles all together so not a bad ride.

Yesterday we went and watched the Seahawks get beat by three points in OT by the 49ers. Pretty good game and fun to hang out with the crowd, then we went out for Greek at Costas in Fremont, spent the night at my sweeties and wound up calling in and taking a day off work today....all in all a pretty fun weekend.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
However, I'm still going to enjoy the run up to Birmingham for the 'Barber Vintage Festival' the weekend of 17 October!

Hope it's not too cold! It'll probably be in the high 70's!
Oh man, I would love to go to that. I gather it is the vintage bike event in the Eastern US now. Not to mention the musuem and track too. 10/17 huh? I guess that kid doesn't need to eat every day...

Take lots of photos, willya?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ride on Ken, I guess the willies have taken a back seat, eh? Go for it, and don't look back.