Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Going to Deals Gap

It's my birthday week. I decided, in honor of my birthday, to blow off work and hit the road. No friends or wifey. Just a full tank, my mp3 player and time.
I live northwest of Atlanta in a town called Canton. My destination took me up GA Hwy 5 to GA 53. I ride this route semi-often when I know I can be at work late. It's a great little ride on Hwy 53. Mostly, flowing curves and easy places to pass when the odd tractor or Semis from the marble plants appear. I'd say the trip to Dawsonville (that's the town above the town my office is located in) is about 50 miles. From Hwy 53 you go GA Hwy 9 north. Great road. Little faster, slightly more technical than 53. When you get through the city of Dahlonega (our very own GOLD town) you get a choice of staying on 9 or taking GA Hwy 60 into Suches. If you go on the weekends you will see TWO (Two Wheels Only) on the left before you get to GA 180. Get place for food and rest. 180 is a real rider's road. In the 8 miles or so of this road there have to be a legit 200 curves. Sparsely traveled by 4 wheeled vehicles, you can stay in a groove pretty easy here. If you run across the occational car heading your direction they are kind enough to know that this is a motorcyclist road and will pull off.
When you get to the end of 180 head north on US129. Yep, same US129. It's really quite a long road. The trip through Blairsville, GA into Murphy, NC is pretty uneventful, but the roads are smooth and you can keep up a decent pace. When US 129 splits from US19/74 the ride becomes much more enjoyable again. One of my more interesting moments was riding along some unnamed, fast flowing creek. About 5 miles or so into that leg of the trip you come across a GIANT (I'm talking no less than 60 inches) water-main coming off the mountain. This thing crosses over the roadway and onto the woods. As it crosses the road and goes over the creek there is a gushing leak at one of the joints. I couldn't tell if there was valve there or not, but the thing was spewing water at a rate of thousands of gallons a minute. Pretty wicked. The air temp on 50 ft of either side was easliy 10-15 degrees cooler. It was actually scary. Tens of thousands of gallons of water passing overhead in a area that definitly had you thinking "If this thing breaks I could wash away!"
You know what's funny is the fact that I saw as many maxi-scooters as I did cruisers or tourbikes. They were everywhere and all ages were riding them. When I arrived at Deals Gap there was no stopping. I did the eleven miles and 318 curves and did them again going back. It's really a wonderful area. The Little Tenn River runs through there and the scenery is awsome. Sorry I didn't really get to take pictures, but that wasn't the point of this trip. I just wanted to goof off for the day and couldn't think of a better way to do it.
In the end, the trip was long, but worth it. I figure I put in something like 400 miles or so and nearly 2000 total curves. My wrist ache, but the back is good. My bike rides well with the new Bridgestones aside from a weird headshake thing at around 3500 rpm @ 50-55 mph. I spent all day riding to play on an 11 mile stetch of road. Was it wise? Who knows. Was it fun? H&LL YES! Would I do the same thing again? Over and over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deals gap.JPG (159.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg little tn river.JPG (151.4 KB, 3 views)

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Kirk,

Sucks to be you!

I mean, me! What are these 'curves' of which you speak?

Nice little story, though.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The turnout on GA53 at Fort Mountain is where I dropped my (fully laden) FZ6 during my trip to Daytona/Key West in March of '07.

It was just after dark, I saw the towns down in the valley all lit up, and thought "GREAT place to stop and snap a pic!". Tried to go "in" through the "out" door - but it was off-camber and full of about ten-gazillion pinhead-sized marbles (to match my OWN pin-head) - and away she went - right out from under me............

Bike had an extra 100+lbs of gear on it, and was layin' with the wheels pointed uphill. I no-sooner got up off the ground, when a carful of local boys pulled-in (lookin' for a quiet place to knock-back a few cold ones, I'm guessing). They all piled out, made sure I was OK, helped me right it, made sure the bike would start OK, then jumped-back in and commenced to drinkin' them cold ones. They bloody-well Earned 'em, I can say that!

Thanks again Guys! Whomever you are!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-17-2008 at 02:11 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Since it's unfair to classify them as an actual "turn" I used the word curves as if it were all one fluid movement.

Oddly, the only vehicle to leave the roadway was a Crown Vic. Don't know how they managed it but they actually flipped the thing. No injuries but the words "shock and awe" come to mind when passing the bewildered occupants.

Because I had not been there in several years I had forgotten the amount of time it takes to get there on the route I chose. Making it to Murphy took me three hours. From there to Deals Gap was another hour. I wasn't in the midst of the Tail until 2:30 pm. Another strangeness were the amount of Canadians that were there. I heard as many French speaking Canadians as Americans. But the geezers on maxi-scooters was the funniest part. Instead of taking out the big tour bikes for the 11 miles the maxi's hit the Tail. Old dudes (full beards and all) in standard "crusty old guy clothes" riding and waving. Pretty funny thing to observe- really.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
MMO
Registered Member

Despite the turns, I'm sure you've had a wonderful time. I mean, with no wife, friends, and all.
MMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Kirk, sounds like a great time. I wish somebody in Florida would invent roads with curves. Questions!

Why is "Dalonega" so familiar, it's famous for something or somebody, isn't it? Aside from gold?

I've read on various websites that the Gap has become one giant speed/ticket trap, and the NC Troopers go out of their way to be a-holes? Did you see any of that?

Is Clingman's Dome anywhere near Deals Gap (the highest mountain in the Eastern US)
Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Kirk, sounds like a great time. I wish somebody in Florida would invent roads with curves. Questions!

Why is "Dalonega" so familiar, it's famous for something or somebody, isn't it? Aside from gold?

I've read on various websites that the Gap has become one giant speed/ticket trap, and the NC Troopers go out of their way to be a-holes? Did you see any of that?

Is Clingman's Dome anywhere near Deals Gap (the highest mountain in the Eastern US)
It's actually the TN Troopers that are acting like Asses. Sometimes. In a way, I don't fully blame them - there is a small element that ruins the day for most everybody else - but they're not the ones crashing; they're just ass holes.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote