Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
jshurak
Registered Member

Default First encounter with an aggressive driver

I left early enough so the roads wouldn't be too busy with other commuters. I wanted to practice merging from an on ramp, So I was out the door 7 am. I picked a good time as traffic was light on the road. Merging went perfectly fine, but my trouble came after the road turns from a small limited access highway to commercial area.

I found myself approaching a traffic light up ahead with a large truck already stopped. I didn't want to be behind him so I checked my lanes and put on my turn signal to signal my intent. There was a car a good 50-75 yards back, but we were slowing, approaching a red light, so I proceeded to change lanes. Apparently, this driver wasn't having any of that.

Approaching the light, I see the driver is much closer behind me, not slowing at all. I think he wanted to physically display his frustration to me, because he didn't even make it out of our lane when he sped up to pass me. Passing me with the driver's seat riding on the lane divider line.

This immediately upset me and the driver in me wanted to rip on the gas and set this guy straight! Luckily, the rider in me was in charge and I decided to just let it go, wanting nothing more to do with that guy. So I sat back and watched as he bullied other people on the road, tailgating, waving his arms around in frustration.

I'm glad I let that one go! It is bothersome though that some people can have such a disregard for safety on the road.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Just let it go. You are going to run in to these idiots from time to time and if you react it is YOU who will get arrested while the psycho who almost killed you pretends to be a poor victim who, "Didn't see you".

In a real altercation the police cite everyone and the DA tries to convict everyone. No one cares about right or wrong.

Just let it go.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Yep!

The bike and/or rider will lose, every time.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Where the hell do you live that there's no traffic at 0700 ? I could walk to work on the tops of cars then....

Anyway, yeah you did the right thing you'll never win a fight on a bike, even if you confront the guy you're the ******* harrassing innocent motorists.... Best to let it go and hope he dies of stomach cancer or something.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
jshurak
Registered Member

I did let it go. That's the one thing they hammer in during the safety class and it certainly left a mark in my mind: 'Car vs. Motorcycle, car always wins'

Looking back, I can't even imagine what the guy might have done if I had said anything. It would have been a waste of time and more importantly, expose me to a completely unnecessary and very dangerous risk.

Its bothersome and sad that some people don't take into consideration other people's safety on the road. One thing I could never quite understand was, why are there aggressive drivers in the morning?! After all, you're just going to work!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

Every one has noticed that most cars speed up when you try to pass them, I think cars lend a sense of power and competitiveness to drivers that make them do things they otherwise wouldn't. This affects some more than others.
I happen to help a badly burned fellow who had been riding his bike in shorts and the bike went down, trapping his leg under the header pipe and burning his ankle severely. There was traffic backed up behind his bike in the road. A guy in a truck started honking at the few people trying to help this guy on a rural road. He just couldn't stand waiting to get past, even though there was a serious injury in front of him, which was going to delay him a minute or two waiting for a spot to get around in the oncoming lane. Some people aren't worth even wondering why they act the way they do. Just avoid 'em as much as possible.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Here's a copy of an email that my friend "G" send me a little-more than a year ago, about an incident that happened to him that "turned sour".

First of all - let me say, I'm fine. I think. I hope. But I'm here now and
*really* glad.

My head is killing me and my ear really hurts.

I was attacked by a psychopathic knuckledragging mouth breathing monobrowed ham-fisted old fcuking idiot with an attitude tonight.

I am not going to the hospital but I want to tell you all to "BE CAREFUL!"

You never know who is on the other side of the conversation.What they're really thinking. Or feeling.

I got off at 3:30 and decided to go for a short ride and after about an hour of riding I was on my way home minding my own business. Doing about 70+ on a four lane hiway with a green trailblazer joining the traffic on my right at about 80. I'm in the fast lane behind someone else and with people on my right I just stayed where I was. Seconds later this green suv was on my ass. Oh well, what else is new right? As soon (about a mile up) as I could get over I did - but there was another Semi truck joining traffic ahead of me on the right. So I waved to the green guy behind me to pass me already. He didn't. He simply waited over my left shoulder.

Well, the bigrig is about to join the circus so at the "last second" I nailed it. Passed em both. Whew. So now that they're behind me I slow back down to about 68. The green guy comes by rather slow but eventually passes. Up ahead I have to make a left so I wait till the green guy is up a bit, move over and wait. We get up to the red light and I notice he's too hot into the light so I back off - he nails the brakes. I had a feeling so I come to an aggressive stop but not a real sweaty one - bikes can slow so much better than cars. I look up at him and notice his window going down, hand out, major bird at me and his reflection says "What the fcuk is your problem!" So I calmly reply "You now!" and he puts it in park and gets out and walks over to me...I'm ATGATT and sitting on my tall KLR650 and he's a little guy about 50 and *really* pissed off. Veins popping out, spitting when he talks, a fcuking
rattlesnake.

He tells me I should learn how to ride a bike and calls me a psusy or
something to that effect and walks back to his vehicle. I'm like, wtf is
this all about? but he gets in and makes a face at me and I put both my hands up like "WTF?" and he gets out and again comes right up to me and literally gets in my face. Normally (?) I would have pulled my face back a bit or stood back but I just stayed there - what can possibly happen?

Wrong.

I told him he should calm down, check his sugar and go about his business as I hit the go button on my bike - he says "Move a foot and I'll kill you" as he gets in his vehicle. I ask "Did you just threaten me?" "Duh! go ahead and ride ashole" he says. So.....I decide to just sit there a second until the light changes. It does, and he's pissed so he pulls up about fifteen feet and gets out again. Now he's cut me off and is in my way preventing me from continuing on my way without turning sharply to the right and into traffic. He gets out and walks back to me again shoving his fist into my helmet while yelling the same insults over and over again. Now I'm pissed so I give him a stern look, remove my helmet and get off the bike. Heh, real threatening right?

Well, I open my tankbag and pull out a pen and my cell phone. I approach the rear of his vehicle and begin writing his license number on my palm and "WHAM"! he nails me with a left into my right ear. Damn that friggin hurt! I go down stunned and he starts kicking me. I scramble up and notice he's halfway between me and his vehicle and I can't see. My glasses are somewhere else other than my face and he's driving away now. Damn!

I begin looking for my cell, pen and glasses and people start pulling up. I finally get through to 911 and the lady on the other end says "Are you the one with the green bike on M53?" and I say yes, she tells me to head over to the Fuddruckers parking lot where the other three cop cars are waiting for me. A nurse that had called 911, another executive guy who also called 911 meet us there. We talk, another cop shows up. Apparently a bunch of people witnessed this and called 911. (name withheld) the nurse says she was behind both of us the whole time admiring my bike because she rides too and also noticed this guys aggressiveness towards me from the minute he turned on the hiway.

As the party begins to settle down and the witnesses are gone, all but two cops have left and they asked me how I feel I ask "What are the chances of you guys ever finding this guy and bringing about some justice?" "We already have him in custody sir. We picked him up about ten minutes ago and since you and the witnesses all said the same thing and you're pressing charges tonight at least he'll be sleeping in jail."

Hmm. Now what?

What comes next? Should I do something? Like what?

My head hurts, my glasses are broke, my ear is bleeding and my wife is pissed. All I have is his license plate number.

Glad I'm home though.
Be careful out there. Everyone.

I'm convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt - if he could have killed me, he would have.
He was insanely pissed off. Literally.

Class, someone please explain to us what Mr."G" did wrong here. Anyone?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-03-2008 at 12:12 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Not using the m/c's ability to lose the cager in traffic comes to mind.

Some people are simply nuts. The biker did nothing, the looney in the car is simply a psychotic. No amount of talking will ever defuse a psychotic when he breaks like that guy did.

This mentions M53, so this was in England? It's illegal to defend yourself in England now. Your only option is to run.

In the USA the main worry is that the loonie pulls out a gun. Still better to make your bird.

I has something similar happen in the 80's. I was tooling down I-15 on my Sportster and some clown in a pickup (with a baby in a car seat mind you) passes me and starts giving me the finger. WTF? I give it back as I am exiting the freeway. He stops on the freeway and backs up to follow me. In no mood to spend some time in jail I make my bird through town towards the Spanish Fork Police Station. Never saw the guy again. Goos thing too. I had my new .357 in my saddlebags and I was headed to the range. No doubt at some point in time his behavior patterns ended him back in prison again.

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-03-2008 at 11:00 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Not using the m/c's ability to lose the cager in traffic comes to mind.

Some people are simply nuts. The biker did nothing, the looney in the car is simply a psychotic. No amount of talking will ever defuse a psychotic when he breaks like that guy did.

This mentions M53, so this was in England? It's illegal to defend yourself in England now. Your only option is to run.

In the USA the main worry is that the loonie pulls out a gun. Still better to make your bird.

I has something similar happen in the 80's. I was tooling down I-15 on my Sportster and some clown in a pickup (with a baby in a car seat mind you) passes me and starts giving me the finger. WTF? I give it back as I am exiting the freeway. He stops on the freeway and backs up to follow me. In no mood to spend some time in jail I make my bird through town towards the Spanish Fork Police Station. Never saw the guy again. Goos thing too. I had my new .357 in my saddlebags and I was headed to the range. No doubt at some point in time his behavior patterns ended him back in prison again.
You throw a tube-top-wearing wife in there and a broomstick and you got yerself a great story!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You throw a tube-top-wearing wife in there and a broomstick and you got yerself a great story!
I've got some stories from the river near Dong Ha too. But they aren't motorcycle related.