Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Butt-Burners are for the Birds!

There have been some posts about the Iron Butt folks, and some stories from "regular guys" (and maybe Sachi) that tear up the tarmac for one reason or another.

Well, I returned home from my first LD bike ride Wednesday afternoon. I had to go to Myrtle Beach, SC to be with my Mom when she went in for a Hip Replacement. I figured that since I was going up there by myself, and the Weather Channel said it'd be nice, I'd save a bunch of money (and carbon credits) if I took my trusty Sprint ST instead of my trusty Tundra.

It'll be a while before the saddle imprint in my butt goes away.

541.7 miles and 11-1/2 hours up on Sunday. 603.5 miles and 11 hours back on Wednesday. I went up on Georgia Rte 84 to Hinesville, then up to MB on I-95 and then SC Hwy. 17. Took the Interstate system back. Bike got better mileage (45.6 vs. 41.7) at 78mph than it did putzing though those towns, as it turns out.

The climatological prognosticators let me down. I started out the ride with my Meteor jacket, Ballistic pants, shorts and a t-shirt. About halfway into the ride, I put on my Widder System2 electric vest. It was in the mid 60's, as forecast, and things went well until...

I froze when I got North of Savannah. It was 51 degrees when I rolled into Surfside Beach. It started raining on me about 10 miles from the house. The Widder is all that saved me. I used every bit of hot water in the water heater.

Of course, I cooked on the ride Wednesday.

And the Dairy Queen at I-10 Exit 241 was out of brownies. So I had my Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard made with Heath Bar. Not bad, but I prefer the brownie.

BTW, the DQ at Exit 251(?) that burned down is being rebuilt as part of a big fuel depot. And yes, I got rained on, but only over a 10-mile stretch, just before I got back home. I was dry by the end of the ride.

Did I mention that I had a stomach virus when I left on Sunday morning? That made it even more special. I was doing Pepto-Bismol shooters at every stop, and hoping the Immodium would hold up. It did, although a couple of whoops in the road had me worried. I'm still a little queasy.

My Mom made it through her hip replacement surgery real well, but had some problems afterward. She did not respond well to the morphine, and was in agony from the muscle spasms. They decided (11 hours later) to change her over to Demerol. Well, that worked real well, but it stopped her breathing.

After all that excitement, they put her on oral Roxycodone, which I was told is a rapid-onset version. That worked, and she did much better.

I went back to the hospital the next morning, dreading what I'd find, and found her sitting in a chair and talking! The even better part was that she had no memory of the previous day. I was really glad I had made teh trip to be with her.

All-in-all, a dynamic four days. The Sprint ran like a sewing machine. However, I felt like I'd been three rounds with Mike Tyson. Except my ears are still attached.

Those LD guys are nuts!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

" froze when I got North of Savannah. It was 51 degrees when I rolled into Surfside Beach. It started raining on me about 10 miles from the house. The Widder is all that saved me. I used every bit of hot water in the water heater."

BaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaaaa! You are kidding are you not? 51 degrees is cold since when? Widder electrics saved your butt eh? Buz, I think we have a contenda here!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

I tend to turn my grips on low about the 51 range. The 11 hours thing gets me, that must of been some horrible traffic. My last 507 mile day ride took me about 7 hours and that was from SF to Yosemite, over to 395, back 108, cut over to 4 and back to the bay. 90% two lane and twisty. Splitting not legal out there?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm sorry Sir, but I admit I had to chuckle too. I take the fleece liner out of my coat and quit wearing fleece pants under my riding pants when it hits 50, I get uncomfortable when it's above 70....

In all honesty, 50 and raining is a walk in the park here so I'm well used to it. 35 with mixed rain and snow is a little uncomfortable but I digress, sounds like a fun trip and I'm glad your mom's OK. 500 miles a day is about my limit too, I'm a local rider. I use my bike as general transportation so I put on a lot of miles but I do it in 100 mile increments. My commute alone is 75 miles round trip, it's about 30 miles to my G/F's house, 130 to my dads...

Good deal, your Sprint held up and you didn't suffer any embarrassment..(ahem).. so all's well that ends well..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
" froze when I got North of Savannah. It was 51 degrees when I rolled into Surfside Beach. It started raining on me about 10 miles from the house. The Widder is all that saved me. I used every bit of hot water in the water heater."

BaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaaaa! You are kidding are you not? 51 degrees is cold since when? Widder electrics saved your butt eh? Buz, I think we have a contenda here!
You're not a real biker until you use your vest at 60 degrees.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Go ahead and laugh, you syrup-blooded b@stards!

All I know is, I was so cold, when I stopped at a Hardee's for a cup of coffee, I did a really good impression of Wile E. Coyote in the Road Runner episode where he ate a whole bottle of Acme "Earthquake Pills".

It was all I could do to not sling coffee all over the place. An older couple looked over when the table started rattling.

12er, the ST got around 180 miles a tank, and I stopped at roughly every half tank to get blood back in my tush and stretch knees and shoulders. I try to keep the velocity to the posted limit +8. The bubblegum machines were thick as flies on both legs. So my average speed wasn't that great.

And our road taxes are being burned up at an impressive rate. There was construction going on all over the place. Probably a third of I-95 in Georgia, and 15 miles of I-10 around Tallahassee is "coned."

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Gotta love those "Double fines in constructions zones" to keep your pace reasonable if you can move at all. I hate stopping so I tend to ride standing on the pegs a mile or two every 30 or so to keep things flowing. That and my heals are hooked on the passenger pegs most of the time to stretch out a bit. I must say though my Sargent seat was the best motorcycle purchase I have made to date.

Sarnali, how's that new corbin working for you now that you've had a week or so on it?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Nice story. Glad yer mom's okay.

I'd have more sympathy if it weren't for that fact that today is like the 4th day over 50 degrees here since last November.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Pretty good actually, as with all Corbins it's very firm to start off with but still comfy. It gives me a little more leg room and is narrower, workmanship and the quality of the leather is excellent. The only beef was the tongue was to short to reach under the tank, I just drilled and shaped a 3in piece of galvanized 1 in. flat stock as an extension and bolted it on, works fine. Once again, I'm happy with a Corbin product, I've always had good luck with them.

Note that this isn't a Hi Milege seat, it's designed to look good and be used around town and it gives the bike a real skinny Cobra seat look. I 've put at most maybe 120 miles on it at one time, 350 miles total but I'd say it works as advertized.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Good to hear, I couldnt go corbin on my bmw. Their offering eliminated the high position on my seat then took another inch out of the padding. Not an option with my legs... My wife and I are both happy with my Sargent, I really like the little M3 flag striping on the front, cool little touch.