Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ride Stories (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/)
-   -   January in FL (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/7084-january-fl.html)

Kenneth_Moore 01-14-2008 07:09 AM

January in FL

2 Attachment(s)
For those of you awaiting the thaw, here are a few shots from a short weekend trip in Florida. Three of us met in Stuart and did the "around Lake Okechobee" ride Sunday. Although it was cloudy, the rain held off until the end of the day. The new Suzuki was just a blast to ride!

longride 01-14-2008 07:49 AM

Just in case you didn't know it already, I hate you! :-D

sarnali2 01-14-2008 07:59 AM

Yes, I agree..you totally blow.

I rode in this morning right at 33 degrees. The only problem was the carb icing up when I pulled off the freeway. My Bonneville had electric heaters in the carb throat, I surprised HD doesn't do that since the carb hangs out there like a dogs nuts. Everyone I've had has iced up in freezing or almost freezing and damp weather. I guess it don't get that cold in Wisconsin

longride 01-14-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 176848)
Yes, I agree..you totally blow.

I rode in this morning right at 33 degrees. The only problem was the carb icing up when I pulled off the freeway. My Bonneville had electric heaters in the carb throat, I surprised HD doesn't do that since the carb hangs out there like a dogs nuts. Everyone I've had has iced up in freezing or almost freezing and damp weather. I guess it don't get that cold in Wisconsin

I never had a carb ice up on me in 40 years of riding, and I ride when it is nasty cold and humid out. What exactly happens when a carb ices?

mscuddy 01-14-2008 09:02 AM

When a carb "Ices" it gets chunks of ice built up in the mouth of the carb, from the cold air meeting the even colder metal, and condensation causes ice to form that eventually seals up the hole and kills the motor. Just ask any Cessna 150 pilot who's flew too high in cold weather. Also watch "The Spirit of St. Louis" with Jimmy Stewart. He had to make the motor backfire to blow out chunks of ice in the carb throat. Ol' Jimmy flew B17 Bombers in WWII btw. That's when movie actors doubled as real heros.

sarnali2 01-14-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 176851)
I never had a carb ice up on me in 40 years of riding, and I ride when it is nasty cold and humid out. What exactly happens when a carb ices?

If it's near freezing and there's fog or frost out the moisture in the air coming into the carb can cool enough to cause frost to form inside the carb throat. In my experiance it's when you drop down to idle after freeway speeds, the bike won't idle and runs crappy for a few seconds. I didn't expect it to happen with mine because I still have the stock plastic airbox and I went back to the paper filter instead of the K&N. I figured that would keep the carb warm enough that it wouldn't happen. It used to be a real problem on my Shovelhead with the ham can because the carb is right out in the airflow, not so much with the bagger because that airbox like this one encloses the carb somewhat.

I'd say the reason it hasn't happen to you is probably differences in humidity to temps. I know it gets alot colder there in the midwest than here but we have a much wetter climate so we get fog and black ice that affects carburaters differently.

acecycleins 01-14-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 176839)
For those of you awaiting the thaw, here are a few shots from a short weekend trip in Florida. Three of us met in Stuart and did the "around Lake Okechobee" ride Sunday. Although it was cloudy, the rain held off until the end of the day. The new Suzuki was just a blast to ride!

All that and you didn't get snow like Bagdad. Must be gobal warming. ;-)

seruzawa 01-14-2008 11:01 AM

Somebody from Florida...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 176863)
If it's near freezing and there's fog or frost out the moisture in the air coming into the carb can cool enough to cause frost to form inside the carb throat. In my experiance it's when you drop down to idle after freeway speeds, the bike won't idle and runs crappy for a few seconds. I didn't expect it to happen with mine because I still have the stock plastic airbox and I went back to the paper filter instead of the K&N. I figured that would keep the carb warm enough that it wouldn't happen. It used to be a real problem on my Shovelhead with the ham can because the carb is right out in the airflow, not so much with the bagger because that airbox like this one encloses the carb somewhat.

I'd say the reason it hasn't happen to you is probably differences in humidity to temps. I know it gets alot colder there in the midwest than here but we have a much wetter climate so we get fog and black ice that affects carburaters differently.

... is gonna get iced pretty quick if he doesn't quit rubbing it in.

sachiwilson 01-14-2008 11:52 AM

It's been in the mid-70s and sunny here in San Diego. :)

Kenneth_Moore 01-14-2008 12:13 PM

BTW: the one photo is from my seat, holding the camera while riding, pointing behind. The road is SR 714, from Stuart to Lake Okeechobee. My first time on it; it won't be my last. Gorgeous.

The second photo is from a high bridge along the shore of the lake, you can see a group of bikes heading up onto the top of the dike (NO, that's NOT a sexual reference!) to take the scenic ride.