Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
BTW: the one photo is from my seat, holding the camera while riding, pointing behind. The road is SR 714, from Stuart to Lake Okeechobee. My first time on it; it won't be my last. Gorgeous.

The second photo is from a high bridge along the shore of the lake, you can see a group of bikes heading up onto the top of the dike (NO, that's NOT a sexual reference!) to take the scenic ride.
What's all that "green stuff" alongside the roads? Everything here is just shades of brown, black, and grey.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well from 34 and damp this morning to 44 and a gol' dang sideways monsoon this afternoon my trusty 'stitch kept me warm dry and comfy. I ought to be a spokesman for them guys, I really don't think you can get a better piece of gear for this climate anyway. Pretty tough to beat...the ol' Dyna soldiered on as well, lots of standing water, pourin' ass rain and strong gust's and it kept chugging along, tracked nice and straight and the 501 Dunlops stuck in the corners and through deep puddles without loosing grip. Of course it's to be expected of a modern bike but hard rain like that is always dicey, it's nice to be able to focus on riding and not trying to fight the bike as well.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Good stuff! I like riding in rain - I miss that down here.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Good stuff! I like riding in rain - I miss that down here.
Well come to Chicago. You can not only ride in rain but unf&ckingbelievable cold too. Of course, the 'year round rider' stuff would go down the tubes.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Think so? I'd probably just spike the tires and head out!

The Rounders include a lot of folks who ride on snow and ie, properly equipped and attired.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I don't mind rain. As long as it's above freezing I can stand the cold too. What I don't like is the morning commute at o-dark thirty with everyone half asleep and in a hurry, plus rain. If it's raining when I leave I drive, I don't care if it rains the rest of the time like I said my 'stitch keeps me warm and dry so it's really a non-issue. It's just that the risk factor goes through the moon when you add rain plus dark plus major traffic that's half asleep, in a hurry etc..

Realistically if you only ride when no chance of rain around here you'll be parking your bike for about 8 months out of the year. I know what you mean Sachi, I couldn't stand to live somewhere that hardly ever rained. One year we went 4 months of 80's and 90's and no rain, when it finally did I sat out in the lawn chair in my shorts and just soaked it up.

Last edited by sarnali2 : 01-14-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #17
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:

The Rounders include a lot of folks who ride on snow and ie, properly equipped and attired.
So have the "Rounder" got any good techniques for protecting the bike from the corrosive effects of ice melting stuff, what ever it is that they put on roads these days. Sand is a big enough pia.....
Old 01-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:

Funny, but I never see one riding here when it gets nasty. Not even one. I guess the chance of getting run over by an 18 wheeler if you go down kind of dampens the spirit a bit. I guess if you were in the middle of nowhere it would be ok, but here it would be suicide. Someone else mentioned the salt too. Wait till you see what your bike would look like after one round on salty roads.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
So have the "Rounders" got any good techniques for protecting the bike from the corrosive effects of ice melting stuff, what ever it is that they put on roads these days. Sand is a big enough pia.....
Hmm, I'm not sure. I know there's a thread over in the BMWMOA forum about riding with salt - lemme go find it.

Do you ride with salt on the road??? - BMW MOA

It seems that the advice is to wash the bike with cold water after your ride, and then dry it thoroughly. I imagine a good wax job, plus a protective oil spray before the ride (such as SS100), would help as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I dunno' I've got caught in the snow a few times and it's no dam* fun at all, I sure as hell wouldn't do it buy choice. You know how it is with black ice up here Sachi, that's why I stick to above freezing, realisticaly it can be below freezing and dry air and it's not much trouble, my gear keeps me warm for the hour long commute. The problems start when it's foggy or damp and at or below freezing, the moisture in the air freezes on the road way leaving an invisible layer hence Black Ice. You can't see it until you're sideways in the ditch wondering WTF happened.