Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ride Stories (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/)
-   -   Touring Companies?? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/20759-touring-companies.html)

jonnychampagne 01-03-2013 09:22 AM

Touring Companies??

Hey Gang-

Doing research for a future article, and am wondering: Has any of you ever used a Motorcycle Touring Company?
If so, which one(s)?
Can you describe the positives/negatives regarding your experience?

Thanks much-

Langston

The Spaceman 01-03-2013 09:34 AM

I've never used a m/c touring company and I don't know anyone who has. However, Motoquest sends a cute girl to work the Twisted Throttle booth at Daytona Bike Week every year. And they use a lot of VStroms. AND they give out hats, so what more could you ask for?

jmdonald 01-03-2013 01:53 PM

Edelweiss

I am thinking about using Edelweiss for either New Zealand or possibly Scotland/England. Knowing that I do not function well in a structured environment I may go con-solo.

Buzglyd 01-03-2013 02:07 PM

I peruse the Edel catalogs and dream a lot.

I've got three more years until I throw him out and then disappear in the Alps.

jonnychampagne 01-08-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 279388)
I am thinking about using Edelweiss for either New Zealand or possibly Scotland/England. Knowing that I do not function well in a structured environment I may go con-solo.

Thing is, Edelweiss is reputed to be extremely structured. I'm sure there are other touring co's in both New Zealand and the UK that would give you a map or programmed GPS, and say "See ya when you get back."

Buzglyd 01-08-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnychampagne (Post 279464)
Thing is, Edelweiss is reputed to be extremely structured. I'm sure there are other touring co's in both New Zealand and the UK that would give you a map or programmed GPS, and say "See ya when you get back."

I think some of the Edelweiss tours have "free days." I believe they have tours structured to different riding levels.

Having the chase van is nice so you don't have to pack up like a mule.

Perhaps a structured tour for your first run to an area (kind of like a cruise ship) and then you could always return and go it alone.

jmdonald 01-08-2013 09:01 AM

Travel Goals

I have a few travel goals that include more than a few destinations and routes. New Zealand and the UK are tops on my list. My number 1 would have to be to ride the TT course on the Isle of Man. Part of the challenge would be to plan the route/lodging and deal with any misadventure along the way. Then again some folks want or need things planned out for them so they don't have to think about it. I guess I am not one of those guys.

backroadbob.com 04-18-2013 03:10 PM

Isle of Man? No big deal. Go Friday to Saturday so you don't miss any races and have the time (non-race days are Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday) to immerse yourself in the IOM motorcycle history and Viking culture. Fly through Dublin (you'll save $200-300 over London) where you'll have to stay overnight because of the flight schedule (IOM flights leave in the morning). I like Donohue's Pub - it's an old traditional bar with upstairs rooms and music every night where you'll get the real Irish experience. Do the Homestay on the island - over the past fifteen years they've been converting the hotels into condos. A bike? That's not so easy. Renting through a London hire shop is difficult. If you're nice and they like you when you call, Padgett's (on the island) may rent you something. Or for $2.99 you could buy my book and learn everything you need to know to for an unforgettable IOM experience. Stop dreaming and perusing and start doing.

jmdonald 04-18-2013 05:29 PM

Thanks Bob

Quote:

Originally Posted by backroadbob.com (Post 281117)
Or for $2.99 you could buy my book and learn everything you need to know to for an unforgettable IOM experience. Stop dreaming and perusing and start doing.

I am running out to buy your book post haste as you read this. I am no longer perusing or dreaming. I look forward to an unforgettable IOM experience.

The_AirHawk 04-19-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 281125)
I am running out to buy your book post haste as you read this. I am no longer perusing or dreaming. I look forward to an unforgettable IOM experience.

What you did there: I see it.