Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Just got back from Baa Haa-baa

So, I just got back from our annual motorcycle trip. We were originally suppposed to go to Nova Scotia. However, thanks to the wonderful folks at the State of Delaware Superior Court, we had to truncate our trip due to a jury duty notice. Uugh! Anyhoo, we took two days to get to Bar Harbor. Stopped by Sam Adams in Boston for a brewery tour. Decided that, since we were passing by Portsmouth, we should stop by Redhook for a brewery tour. Then, we slogged along the Maine coast via Route 1 North for as long as we could stand it -- lots and lots of traffic on Labor Day weekend.

We spent a day touring the area in and around Acadia National Park. No moose sightings to report. Heck! We didn't even see a deer while we were up there. Acadia National Park is beautiful, probably even more so when there aren't so many tourists. I wonder if it's always like that, or only on the holiday weekends. Man, that place was crowded!

The fourth day, we headed back south after doing some touristy stuff in Bar Harbor. Luck seemed to be on our side, as we had no rain during the first four days despite the forecast for showers each day. I shouldn't have said anything. About halfway home, we started to see the remnants of the hurricane. The light rain became steadier and then it poured and poured. It was the heaviest rain I have ever ridden in during my short motorcycling career. It was somewhere near Montvale, NJ that I learned "waterproof" is a subjective term thrown about by motorcycle clothes manufacturers at will.

We always thought we were pretty hard core, and I thought I could ride through anything (except snow and ice). Well, completely soaking wet and 65 degrees and 70+ mph makes for one cold, wet, and miserable ride. The rain was unrelenting, so finally we gave in and decided to pull off and get a hotel for the night. The rest of the night was spent drying our clothes and regaining our strength for the remaining miles back to the Delaware seashore the following day. Yesterday, Wednesday, was relatively uneventful near the Atlantic seaboard, despite the fact that Baltimore, Washington, and central PA were getting hammered with heavy rain.

Lessons learned:

1) The term "waterproof" is subjective.
2) Wet motorcycle crotch sucks.
3) Gore-tex gloves don't help much when the water is running down your sleeve jacket and into the gauntlet end of the gloves. It just leaves a Gore-tex glove full of water.
4) Don't pull off for a rest anywhere Newark, NJ. Just kidding. (But, seriously, don't pull off there. Trust me.)
5) Now I know why they say 'discretion is the better part of valor'. Sometimes it's better to pull in for the night, rather than risk it trying to push on thorough.
6) I might actually have to pony up for real motorcycling rain gear. (Does anybody know if they make them in "Tall" sizes?)

And finally...

7) WET CROTCH SUCKS!!!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Beer is good.

mmmmmm beer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

I'm heading off tomorrow night for my Jefferson State tour, cannot wait.

dry hands - tuck your gauntlets under your sleeves and then cinch your sleeves down over the gauntlets.

Wet Crotch - I have a 1 piece 'stich, been there done that, sux.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What? You didn't get your Head chopped off with a Machete'?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I'm heading off tomorrow night for my Jefferson State tour, cannot wait.

dry hands - tuck your gauntlets under your sleeves and then cinch your sleeves down over the gauntlets.

Wet Crotch - I have a 1 piece 'stich, been there done that, sux.
Is the 'Stich worth the $$. Are they truly waterproof? And, how do they do in the warm, muggy weather? (Or do you just use a warm weather jacket?)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Just buy a neoprene wetsuit. It'll be a good thing to have when the oceans rise another 20 feet in the next 10 years. Or was it the last 10 years?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Dr., in a few years this will be one of those stories you tell your riding buddies about over beers:

"Back in 2011 we took a summer ride through a hurricane...it was GREAT!!"

I've never solved the rain vs. glove equation. The closed I've come is a set that came with waterproof mittens that went over the top. They almost sealed around the sleeve of my rain suit.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Is the 'Stich worth the $$. Are they truly waterproof? And, how do they do in the warm, muggy weather? (Or do you just use a warm weather jacket?)
Snarli wears one most of the time, and he commutes in Seattle. He's the one to ask about water resistance.

Warm, muggy weather? Not so much there in the PNW.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Snarli wears one most of the time, and he commutes in Seattle. He's the one to ask about water resistance.

Warm, muggy weather? Not so much there in the PNW.

I have a Darien suit, not the Roadcrafter....I've ridden in some pretty wet weather and stayed dry, specially with the polartec liner in and wearing the polartec pants under the standard Darien pants. However in serious monsoon like rain the crotch gets a little damp, not every time but it can happen. Still better than anything else I've tried so IMO it's worth the money.

As to durability, mine has over 5 years of almost daily use and the only issue is replacing the leg zippers this year, the nice thing with Aerostitch products is they can be repaired or even rebuilt, just send them back to the factory in Minnesota and they'll take care of it for a nominal fee.

As to hot and muggy weather, thank God we don't get much of that, my Anglo-Saxon blood just doesn't do well in that at all. The last few weeks have been in the mid-upper 80's and 90's and I'm comfortable wearing the jacket with the vents open, definitely warm but doable, the pants are another thing and I'm afraid I just wear jeans when it's over 65 or 70.

For rain gloves I use the crab-claw over mitts over my summer weight deerskin gloves and crank up my grip heaters, they work well as long as you get the drawstring nice and tight they seal up good. There are of course plenty of other products that work as well but Aerostitch is the best I've personally used.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 09-09-2011 at 09:02 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
yucww210
Registered Member

Agree with above

Last edited by yucww210 : 09-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.
yucww210 is offline   Reply With Quote