Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Default Fl C2c V

Rolling hills. Twisties. Fall leaves blowing across the road. Pastures with giant rolls of hay. Not things you'd typically associate with Florida motorcycling, but we saw all that, and more, last weekend on the Florida Coast to Coast Ride.

FL C2C is a charity ride, organized by a family that lost their patriarch to lukemia. The son, who has taken over the ride for his deceased Dad, has spent years finding Central Florida's most exquisite back roads, and connecting them into a route that leads from the Tampa area to Daytona. This is usually a 3 hour bore on the I-4 superslab, but on the C2C, it's hour after hour of motorcycle heaven.

This year the ride started in Seffner, which is a small town on the eastern outskirts of Tamp. Last Friday, I rode first from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando (2.5 hours of 4-6 lane Turnpike and $11 in tolls) to meet my VStrom pal Les. Then we took I-4 to the hotel in Seffner, which turned out to be a very clean and well-managed place to get set for Saturday's ride. The hotel manager couldn't do enough for us, he even provided a hose for the compulsive bike-cleaners in the crowd.

While checking in to the hotel, I met Rob, who is a serious Iron Butt rider. Rob had ridden down from Pennsylvania for this rally, and his bike was amazing. A DL1000, like mine, but with:

2 GPS receivers.
"SPOT" GPS locater system.
CB radio.
4 gal aux gas tank.
Sirius radio.
1 gallon hydration system.
Radar / Laser detector.
Laser jamming system.
And more...a LOT more.

Bikes came rolling in to the hotel lot all Friday evening and night, some in large groups, some solo. There were a lot of VStroms; probably 8 or more. GoldWings were the #1 model, and Harley was the #1 make. One guy had a new Ducati Multistrada, which looked sweet, but sounded like a broken lawn mower. Lots of cruisers, lots of STs, and one lonely Sportster, which had a very hard time with fuel range on the route.

Saturday morning we all met in the parking lot about 7. There were about 150 riders, and rather than go en masse, we broke into smaller groups; divided by bike type, or friends, or clubs, or, like my group of 4, guys who had silver helmets.

The route consisted of two full pages of directions, and God help you if you missed a turn, because it would be incredibly easy to get lost out there and ride until your tank was dry. Luckily, both Rob and Les had spent hours programming each waypoint into their GPS units. Even with that, there were one or two "discussions" at intersections.

I have to be honest here; I've spent 20+ years riding flat, straight roads. It was really an adjustment for me to keep up with Rob and the others who'd spent the same years leaning into the twisties at high speed. But, by the 2ond hour, I was right at home with the whole thing, and when it was over, I was wishing for more. It's been hard to re-adjust to the flat straightaways back here in South FL.

Saturday night a banquet/awards ceremony was held. The awards for smallest and oldest bikes went to the same guy, who rode a Sears (Puch) 250 2-stroke. That bike is COOL, it has 2 pistons and one connecting rod. Figure that out... They awarded a Zumo GPS, which I didn't win, and an $80 cash prize, which I did.

I will be a regular on this ride in the years ahead. For me, it's the epitome of the best motorcycling has to offer

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 10-28-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

'Morbo the Destroyer?'

Back to the story - sounds like a great ride!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

These are some of the bikes etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL1K RTR.JPG (209.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1Cool Dude.JPG (146.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Aux Tank.JPG (216.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Iron Buttocks.JPG (232.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MOV02387.jpg (18.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Scenery.

And yes, I know some of you can't see the photos. Send me a large, SASE, and I'll reply to you with a sympathy note.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ride 2.JPG (204.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ride 3.JPG (228.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ride 1.JPG (159.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ride 4.JPG (178.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Odds and ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TeeVee Tard.JPG (160.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Stroms Only.JPG (211.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Typical Harley.JPG (133.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Free Food.JPG (142.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Now that's just mean!

But, I especially like the fourth broken link. Nicely composed shot!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
venus18812
Registered Member

its a nice ride