Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ride Stories (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/)
-   -   Ditching Cops, 1970's style (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/16019-ditching-cops-1970s-style.html)

sarnali2 08-10-2010 08:19 PM

The 70's were pretty much High School, Motocross and the Navy for me. I turned 21 in '79 so it was really the 80's that were fun times for me but it was a chopper a .380 and Chevy Impala's..I owned 4 of them. My house must have looked like some rancho de Sarnali..

seruzawa 08-11-2010 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 247387)
The 70's were pretty much High School, Motocross and the Navy for me. I turned 21 in '79 so it was really the 80's that were fun times for me but it was a chopper a .380 and Chevy Impala's..I owned 4 of them. My house must have looked like some rancho de Sarnali..

I didn't even have a car for half of the 70s. Just more motorcycles.

About the only thing good about the 70s in LA was KROQ. We got to hear the New Wave while you losers in the rest of the country were stuck with Foreigner and Air Supply. LOL!

sarnali2 08-11-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 247394)
I didn't even have a car for half of the 70s. Just more motorcycles.

About the only thing good about the 70s in LA was KROQ. We got to hear the New Wave while you losers in the rest of the country were stuck with Foreigner and Air Supply. LOL!

Yeah thank God for punk/new wave. Hair bands finished off what disco started as far as rock music is concerned.

I had a '63 Impala four door, a '67 SS two door, a '68 Caprice Classic w/ power everything and a '77 Impala at various times along with a '71 Pinto which smelled like dead bodies and a '70 GMC 1/2 ton.

You can't really get by up here w/o a car, I tried it myself but the winters are too wet and nasty. I ride 12 months out of the year to this day but there's usually a few weeks at least in the winter where it's just not safe because of ice and heavy rain, despite what Sachi says.

seruzawa 08-11-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 247405)
Yeah thank God for punk/new wave. Hair bands finished off what disco started as far as rock music is concerned.

I had a '63 Impala four door, a '67 SS two door, a '68 Caprice Classic w/ power everything and a '77 Impala at various times along with a '71 Pinto which smelled like dead bodies and a '70 GMC 1/2 ton.

You can't really get by up here w/o a car, I tried it myself but the winters are too wet and nasty. I ride 12 months out of the year to this day but there's usually a few weeks at least in the winter where it's just not safe because of ice and heavy rain, despite what Sachi says.

Even punk is better than Foreigner or Journey with Steve Perry (shudder). And WTF is wrong with new wave like the Pretenders? Beats the crap out of Styx.

Never tossed much money on cars. A couple years after I got married we got an old Beetle which I nursed along through a rebuild and finally sold when we moved to Utah. Mostly we rode bikes though. The 650 went from stock to chopper and then to bobber before it finally caught on fire. It only rains about 10 days a year in LA. And you can lane split. A car is only useful when you have to carry a bunch of shyt.

I did ditch the cops once in the 60s on a Yammer Trailmaster 80 by scooting down a horse trail and slipping by a barrier that went into a different jurisdiction. Wouldn't try it today though. The cops are too trigger happy. Not that I blame them that much in LA.

mscuddy 08-11-2010 08:52 AM

Ha, I was the only kid in Jr. High that rode a mini-bike to school and carried a five screw S&W Mod 27 .357 in my lunch bucket.

The cholos had instant respect for me when I went for my sandwich.

Ahead of my time I guess...

mscuddy 08-11-2010 09:19 AM

In LA cars don't rot...

[quote=seruzawa;247411]
Never tossed much money on cars. A couple years after I got married we got an old Beetle which I nursed along through a rebuild and finally sold when we moved to Utah. Mostly we rode bikes though. The 650 went from stock to chopper and then to bobber before it finally caught on fire. It only rains about 10 days a year in LA. And you can lane split. A car is only useful when you have to carry a bunch of shyt."

The only cars I had back then were the abandoned ones my buddy Vince and I would find parked under the Sunset Blvd. bridge at the start of Santa Monica Blvd (off Fountain ave) in Silverlake.

Usually old Brit cars that had finally quit on their owners. One time we got a Citroen Mahari plastic jeep thing that had a 750cc opposed twin in the front, and hydro-pneumatic suspention. The points closed up on whoever owned it, and they just left it where it quit, under the bridge. So we eyeballed the points and drove that damn thing for about a month untill it got towed away for no registration.

Then there was the '51 Ford Consul, with a flathead jeep motor, a few Vauxhalls, an MG Magnette, a Morris Minor and a Triumph TR2 with a blown headgasket.

But the one that trumped them all was our '51 Pontiac Silver Cheif with the straight eight flathead. Now THAT was a car...I still have the glove box bezel rivited to my roll-away "Pontiac Eight".

Ah, memories...

sarnali2 08-11-2010 11:04 AM

I meant THANK GOD... I was agreeing with you! Hair bands & butt bands make me ill.. Other than Rammstein, Scorpions, G & R and Metallica I can't think of much 80's rock worth listening to.....maybe Judas Priest as long as Rob isn't trying too hard.

I listened to bands like the Pretenders, Bauhaus, Echo and the Bunnymen, I even had a Flock of Seagulls/ Duran Duran doo for awhile after I chopped off my ponytail. I also had a mullet and a spike, niether of which I'm proud of but I'm not the only one to look like a fool. Thank God my hair all fell out, now I just shave my bean every few days and forget it.

pplassm 08-11-2010 12:00 PM

Rammstein? I was living there when they got "famous". BWAHAHA!

pushrod 08-11-2010 02:06 PM

'Ram-Steen?'

No; it is pronounced, 'Rahm-schtein!'

MOKE1K 08-11-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 247394)

Air Supply....hehehehe...