Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Default Ride around the perimeter of South Korea

This past weekend some friends and I took a ride around the perimeter of South Korea--total of 1025 miles. We had 9 people on 7 motorcycles.

Started in Seoul, went Northwest to Munsan.

Stopped for a quick photo at the Northwest corner, then paralleled (as much as possible) the border with North Korea. Got to the East coast and went North as far as possible (note the fence topped with barbed wire).

Got a hotel room, then got up early the next morning and headed South along the coast toward Busan (Pusan), making a few stops along the way.

After a night in Busan, rolled out at the crack of dawn (to avoid traffic)

and rode west along the coast to the southwest corner of the country.

We stopped for a photo op at the southwest corner,

then went north and spent the night in Boryeong. This was our longest day with total mileage of 392.

Finished out the trip on Monday with a short (100 miles or so) ride into Seoul. Had a great time and got to see a lot of the country. My girlfriend rode pillion and enjoyed the trip. I thought it might be a little too much for her (she is a novice as a passenger), but she did great and never complained at all.

Last edited by silentgrayfellow : 05-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
V2Rider
Premium Member

Great pictures. I was in the Land of the Morning Calm from Sep 93 to Sep 94 and never got a chance to ride in country. At the time the policy of the unit I belonged to was no motorcycles. Korea is a beautiful country and though I did get to fly over most of the northern half I would have loved to see it on two wheels.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Great pictures. I was in the Land of the Morning Calm from Sep 93 to Sep 94 and never got a chance to ride in country.

This is my third time here working for (or with) Uncle Sam.

'87-'89 had only a bicycle for transport. Traveled a lot (for duty) in govt. vehicles though.

'04-'06 I had a car, but no motorcycle. Could have bought one back then, but didn't really have time to ride much.

I retired from the Army in 2008 and came here to work as a contractor on Yongsan U.S. Army Garrison in Seoul. Brought my Superglide Sport with me. Last fall I got a great deal on a used Ultra Classic. I'm in a riding club here and ride almost every weekend. Getting miles in is difficult here (especially living in Seoul) due to traffic and road conditions, but I've been averaging about 12000 miles a year. I rode through the winter, but with reduced mileage. Last year when weather was decent I did a few 500 mile weekends, but a 500 mile day here would take 14-16 hours minimum. Not only is traffic horrible in the cities, but also motorcycles are prohibited on expressways, so most riding is on congested two-lane roads, curvy mountain roads, or rural roads with all kinds of crazy road hazards.

Some of the stuff I've had to dodge/avoid recently:

Lane blocked due to illegal parking (daily occurence)

A disabled person driving thier electric scooter down the highway (becoming fairly common)

highway lane closure due to footrace being conducted in your lane. No traffic controls in place (other than cones down the center line of highway). Directed by police to ride in oncoming lane while traffic is still using said lane.

Partial lane blockage due to seaweed, rice, or peppers being dried in the roadway.

And then there's the everyday hazard of people exiting from the left lane at the last second; turning right from the left turn only (or oncoming traffic) lane; turning left from the right turn only lane; cars attepting to share the lane with you (i.e. push you off the road); pedestrians in the roadway; red light runners (every time...expect it); left turners failing to yield to oncoming traffic (every time...expect it); and people making 3-point (or more) U-turns whereever the hell they feel like it (right in your path) and blocking both lanes.

Cops don't seem to care much about people violating traffic laws here. they have speed cameras and a few red light cameras...that seems to be the extent of enforcement. The good news is you can ride it like you stole it with little concern for Johnny Law, as long as you stay off the expressways. The bad news is that the same goes for cagers.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
V2Rider
Premium Member

When I was there we joked that the Koreans drove like a country full of teenagers. Be safe over there.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
richel.xiang
Registered Member

beautiful motorcycle!
richel.xiang is offline   Reply With Quote