Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ok, so here is the 50 mile impression of the Buell 1125 CR:

The fit and finish on the Buell is pretty decent after looking everything over before the ride. Not perfect though. The switchgear is a bit cheesy, and the motor isn't the greatest thing to look at with hoses and brackets in the open. The muffler doesn't look too bad, and I'm starting to like the scoops in front. Must have been the tequila I was drinking the night before. The dealer was really cool. It took all of 3 minutes to pick it up. No BS at all. Woodstock Harley in IL. Good people there.

Sitting on the bike, it really disappears from your view, or at least MY view. The mirrors were completely useless, but I think I can eventually adjust them to at least have some function, but I won't count on it. The clubman bars, which lots of people seem to hate, seem very good to me, and they just look so f*cking cool on this bike. More on that later. The bike fired right up, and the dash display has 5 display modes and 4 toggle modes which I played with at the stops, but have yet to figure it all out because there are about 900 things the dash display can do. It just gives you all the different info on the bike from coolant temp to how many miles to the next service. I left it with the gear counter on, which is a nice feature. It has a digital speed display which I never had on a bike before. The whole thing is easy to read and can be a source of entertainment should things get boring. But boring isn't whhat this bike is about.

Rolled out of the parking lot without a hitch. The seating position is what I would call 'sportbike comfortable'. The pegs aren't too bad. The are up a bit, but a little back so my legs felt pretty good. The clubman bars put a bit of pressure on the wrists around town, but nothing bad at all, and I liked the extra reach to the bars, as I have fairly long arms. The seat feels very hard and flat, but after 50 miles my arse wasn't complaining. Sitting right on the tank gave the best riding position. There is even some room to move around even though this is a tiny bike. Pretty nice.

The 'real motor' is not awesome, but it's pretty close to that. First thing is I really don't care for the noise it makes though. It has a fair amount of engine clatter, and the exhaust note is very muted. The exhaust note reminds of flatulance X RPM, which ain't a good sound. It's quiet and the neighbors will love me! Anyway, even though the sound it makes didn't thrill me, the power band and torquey pull of this motor did. The EFI seems pretty well sorted even at below 2500 RPM. I lugged it down a few times just to see if it would buck and complain, but it really did a decent job of staying smooth even at the low revs. The motor definitely likes to rev. Serious power starts at around 4 grand, which is exactly 65 MPH on the highway. Speaking of the highway, this is where the clubman bars are just perfect. Cruising anywhere from 60 to 85, they couldn't be any better. almost comfy! The roll ons on the highway are quick and easy, and the revs always build quickly with even small throttle openings. The bike does vibrate a bit a different speeds, which gives it that V-Twin character. The vibes were felt mostly through the bars, but it was not annoying and didn't put my hands to sleep. It was just enough to let you know there was a motor down there doing its thing.

Now I just took this bike and have no idea how the suspension was set up, but I can say it is pretty damned close to perfect right out of the box. The ride is firm, but not harsh at all. The steering is very responsive, but solid and not twitchy. It rolls into the corners with just a thought, and tracks solidly when leaned. I even nailed a pretty good bump while heeled over in a turn, and this bike just shook it off and rolled true. Now on a cold day with fresh tires, I couldn't really rail it, but I can tell I'm going to have alot of fun on this one! Spun the tire a few times accidentally, so I had to cool things down a bit before I wadded it on the first day.

The brakes were suited for this bike. The front needed only a light squeeze to produce plenty of braking power. Not too much initial bite, but enough to let you know it's there. Plenty of power with a decent squeeze. The rear brake was notable in that it really didn't do much of anything, which on a sportike is perfect, because I will probably never use it anyway.

The overall impression I got from this bike is that it is the perfect tool for slicing and dicing city traffic and having a blast in the corners as well. I don't think it will make a great long distance mount, but I don't think riding it a few hundred miles in a day would cause undue pain. I think Imay be in a bit of trouble, because this bike was always going way faster than I think it's going. Hell, I was just breking it in easy, and I was constantly having to slow down all the time. This bike like to run, and the powerband starts right off the bottom and just keeps going. It's only been 50 miles, so I may get a different feel for some things as the miles pile up, but overall, I am happy with the basics: the riding position, handling, and motor. Hell, I thinkI was just so f*cking happy to be riding at all! Anyway, you can't beat the deals they are giving on this bike. It's gotta be the all-time bargain of a lifetime. I do have the distinct feeling as this thing gets broke in that my wallet will be shown to the local Peace Officers more than once. Stay tuned.

Last edited by longride : 03-07-2010 at 06:34 AM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
The pegs aren't too bad. The are up a bit, but a little back so my legs felt pretty good. The clubman bars put a bit of pressure on the wrists around town, but nothing bad at all, and I liked the extra reach to the bars, as I have fairly long arms.

The 'real motor' is not awesome, but it's pretty close to that. First thing is I really don't care for the noise it makes though. It has a fair amount of engine clatter, and the exhaust note is very muted. The exhaust note reminds of flatulance X RPM, which ain't a good sound. It's quiet and the neighbors will love me!
Nice review, LR. Glad it went off without a hitch.

Some of the guys on the Buell discussion board have put the Ulysses pegs on their CRs or the Lightning pegs with 1" drop for a little more room. Knight Design makes some nice ones (http://www.knightdesignllc.com/index_files/Page598.htm).

Also, the Jardine RT-5 seems to be pretty popular can to release a little more power (and soul). Here is a vid: YouTube - Jardine RT-5 on 2009 Buell 1125CR .
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Hella cool!

Look out cornfields!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

For some reason I keep thinking of those Shriner Circus's with the bear riding the mini-bike............You don't have a Fez do you?...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
For some reason I keep thinking of those Shriner Circus's with the bear riding the mini-bike............You don't have a Fez do you?...
With a Propeller on top!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Get some sorta radar detector for a-holes running up on your tail light. Have fun, nothing handles like them Buells. You lucky bastard.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Thumbs up Warm em up good,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
After 2 1/2 months of crappy weather, I will finally get a decent day to pick up the Buell tomorrow. Since the dealer is 50 miles away, I'll have a chance to shake it out a bit for sure. The weather is going to be a balmy 45 with no snow on the streets, so I'm chomping at the bit to ride this thing. Can't wait!
Warm those mittens up before you do anything! And I ain't talkin about your hands! Enjoy it LR let us know what you REALLY think
about her.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #18
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I have yet to see one of these on the road.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I have yet to see one of these on the road.

I have but it was with a bunch of Victory's so it didn't stand out except for being so loud....my neighbors would never approve.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #20
pplassm
Founding Member

Sounds like a great bike!