Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 10-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Wow!

Can I go with you guys on your next trip?

I'm just a gas tank away from being prepared!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Great stuff!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Great stuff, i love eastern Oregon and Washington, totally different from the wet side

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Cool! I'm glad you continued with the story!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
baconsandwich
Registered Member

Will continue with the saga this afternoon/evening...
baconsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

That cop was actually a Space Alien in disguise.

Did you ride all offroad from home to NV? I've always wanted to cross states off road, I know there are some 4X4 trails that can be accessed to do that out West.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
baconsandwich
Registered Member

Yep, 98% off-road to NV...

...continuing:

The Washington crew are all great riders, (Jim is an AA racer and the others are just as fast). Here’s Colin hovering over the rocks east of the dunes.

John laughing at the stones.

We gather and hear that John’s machine is having a bit of trouble. Maybe jetting? Not sure so we wait for a bit.

Here he comes. All’s good, time to get moving again – Colin is obviously in a hurry to get to lunch.

Uh, yeah, sorry about all the dust and this sticky, perfect soil for traction.

Some guy rolling the rocks down to more wet sand.

All of a sudden, Jason’s 950 clutch starts fading. It’s leaking out of the master and he’s nervous about holding up the crew so he plots an escape to the pavement. I’m bummed he’s separating from the group and headed for the barn already. He and I have done several loops out this way we were both looking forward to seeing the country together. Plus, I wanted some action shots of his bike with the kit on it. Oh well, he and I will certainly take another trip soon.

more...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
baconsandwich
Registered Member

Too bad about the conditions. You guys don’t mind it being so green and lush? I mean it is the desert.

I’m hoping it’s not a bother to wheelie over all these seasonal streams?

Not a problem I guess.

Then we see this Honda headlight coming the opposite direction and it’s Brad. Yeah, nothing like a high desert traffic jam where everyone knows each other.

He says, ‘I don’t think you guys should go out there. I have on every piece of gear I brought along as it has been pouring down rain for the last few days! It’s probably gonna get muddy.’ Hmmmm.

Yummy chocolate all the way to lunch. I love this road and since there is absolutely zero dust, we can see each other riding and enjoy the skills (or momentary lapses) as we pillage the soils on these tracks.

We roll into Wagontire for grub and fuel. Brad’s mud prediction was accurate but not bad – yet.

XR swing arm.

more . . .
Old 10-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

Fantastic.

I'm headed for the National Forest tomorrow for a ride, and your photos have my right arm twitching.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
baconsandwich
Registered Member

Default continuing on...

So we leave Wagontire all fat with lunch, plenty of water, full of gas and ride the 3 miles or so of pavement to a gate onto dirt. UH OH, it’s kinda muddy like Brad warned. Not too bad but it’s clay mixed with rocks (I’ve seen it dry and know that usually we go through here at 50-60 mph). Big puddles, ruts and random soccer ball rocks lurk.

Colin getting’ all sassy:

Big John, same thing:

Good place to take a break --- mmmmmmmm a break.

We keep going and it degrades to pudding. In the summer, (it’s IS summer right?) some of these spots are deep silt beds of doom with rocks. Note rocks. At another gate we are all laughing at the goo and continuously either ‘mock complaining or apologizing’ for the lack of dust.

Clearly, we didn’t stop to shoot the most drama but I was lucky enough to be the first bike through most of this. At one point, I’m on the right side of the track next to a 2 foot deep barrow pit ditch filled with water, lined with boulders and then some invisible rut would take my bike across 2 deep puddles to the left side of the road where another ditch awaited. I can’t imagine how it was for the last bike through.

H.O. got a little mud pack treatment but no harm done. He’s as free as I’ve seen him since our ride out this way back in 2000 or so.

Oh yeah, there were a bunch of wire gates too. Colin (someone elses’s photo.)

After I got us all lost and ****, the guys were almost ready for a mutiny. But John, Colin and Jim used their gps things and illuminated our position to me. ‘Oh yeah, we just tool down this to a big greasy road that’s normally a foot of talcum powder’. Douche bag that I am, couldn’t find the line – OK it’s been burnt several times since I was here last and looks a bit different. The computer guys start a friendly take-over of the guide service and plot a line that I’m suspect of but willing to visit for sure.

Big John takes the lead and goes for the rocky free-ball line above the evening swamp we need to get around.

It could’ve been done but holy smokes, we’re behind schedule and supposed to end up at a nice hot spring tonight. Getting late and we’re 50 miles away from that bug-filled oasis. Abort the line and take the next available eastern track.

The sun is down, there is no way we’re gonna make the springs tonight. Colin says, “Is there a place to camp between us and the springs?”

Answer: ‘Yes! I know the big rock camp, it’s dry but we have water and in the morning we’ll go to a cold spring for more!’

So we ride some more pudding, hoping that this low section allows us to get off the goo and into the rocks which it does nicely.

Colin surveying the accommodations:

Some other guy rolling up to the big rock camp. It’s funny to know exactly where you are and how long it should take to get to where the day’s ride ends but no one else really knows.

We get a little sage fire going.

After the meal, a discussion continues:

We are gone, alone and not a phone works. This is where it’s at for us.

The big blue cup holds the evil Jim Beam or some other miss-begotten libation.

Same XR swingarm a couple hours later:

more...