Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Ride Stories (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/)
-   -   Best moment on a bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ride-stories/12068-best-moment-bike.html)

Vonov 05-29-2009 12:15 AM

Best moment on a bike

It was sometime around 4 a.m. on the Pacific Coast Highway, somewhere between L.A. and San Francisco...the moon was full, setting over the ocean, and the temp was about 78 degrees. I was riding along a stretch of new blacktop, and all of a sudden the scent from the orange groves hit me...somehow, it felt, for just that little space, that all was right with the world and nothing could ever again disturb the peace I felt right then. I've sometimes wondered since then, if maybe patches of Heaven appear on earth from time to time, and I just happened to ride through one.

What's your best moment riding?

TallPaul 05-29-2009 08:26 PM

I was riding through the Yukon Territory on my way to Alaska when an eagle flew along with me. He was just above and to the front of me going in the same direction, same speed and not caring I was so close to him. It lasted only moments, but in my mind we were cruising together on the Alaska Highway. After saying goodbye, I stopped and thanked God for the moment he gave me.

SonnyRides 05-30-2009 05:43 AM

One of thousands . . . riding in rain and fog, topping a ridge in the appalachian mountains, and spread out below me, a valley with a small community, sporting a couple of church spires sparkling in the soft spring sunlight . . . much like TallPaul, I thank the Universe for affording me these miracles.

sarnali2 05-30-2009 06:32 AM

Too many to count but one time I was riding along I-5 on my K100RS when I heard this massive rumble slowly overtake me, I looked up and it was a blacked out Avro Lancaster and a B17G flying in stream about 100 and 200 feet elevation along the freeway. They were in town for an air show at Boeing field and were doing fly-by's. The thunder of 4 Merlins and 4 Wright Cyclones that close was like the voice of God I swear, absolutely overwhelming

seruzawa 05-30-2009 06:57 AM

I'd say the most memorable ride is potting around on a CL90 in the quarry on the South china Sea near Danang while flares pop in the sky.

I have a super secret elite club road I like to ride. I'll never tell anyone where it is. Well, maybe I will. It's in the mountains near Seattle. Go there.

mscuddy 05-30-2009 01:45 PM

I had just gotten out of the hospital after being center-punched by a '68 Buick LeSabre, my left ACL was snapped and my left scapula was busted, but somehow I got my semi-street legal YZ490 started and made my way up the Angeles Crest Highway via Big Tujunga road.

I stopped at an overlook that had the whole LA Basin spread out underneath me, and I thought myself a warrior back from the dead. Too tough to die, too stupid to stop. I bumped the 490 back into life and made my way home, feeling somewhat indestructable. At age 34 that was a dangerous thought.

It felt good though. Like being reborn after a week in St. Joseph. Never forget that one.

christ21 06-05-2009 02:39 AM

Vonov god saved you...or you can say yoy just got a new life.
god bless you
lenox

pplassm 06-05-2009 05:51 AM

Sonoita to Puerto Penasco, Jan 1982. Bob Murphy and I were neck and neck for 40 miles in Northern Baja.

A flat knocked me out of contention, but I finished.

mscuddy 06-05-2009 07:34 AM

Toys for Tots poker run, Lucerne Valley, 1991. Riding a plated '86 YZ490E banged handlebars for a whole loop with Mike Simeon and his '83 CR480R. He'd pass me, I'd pass him right back. The 490 had him on top, and I beat him to the last checkpoint where I pulled a black 10 of spades for a straight, won a chest protector & a Coleman "Personal Six" cooler. Still have both, but the 490 is long gone...

sarnali2 06-05-2009 08:19 AM

My first exwife and I took off down the Oregon coast on my 1980 FLHP one year, we planned on camping but it was raining most of the way so we moteled it. We ran out of money pretty quick to the point I figured we had enough gas money to make it home. We left Newport in the morning and headed over to I-5 and back up north, it was raining hard by the time we hit the freeway and continued to rain all the way home.

We'd stop at the rest areas and munch on free coffee and cookies, smoke a quick cigarette then hop on the bike and push on, it took us almost 14 hours to cover the 800+ miles including stops to gas up and munch, it poured rain the whole way but it was fairly warm out so we didn't freeze.....Turned out to be one of the funnest rides I've been on.