Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default New Improved Motorso Motorsports Park

Now called "Palm Beach International Raceway," the former Moroso Motorsports Park was purchased by an investment group consisting of racing enthusiasts. Raymond Graziotto, Joseph G. Lubeck and J.C. Solomon II. The partnership invested several million dollasr in the track and facility, which re-opened late last year. The track was previously owned and operated since 1981 by the Moroso family. **** Moroso was an extremely successful drag racer in the 1960's, who started a company that is still producing a line of racing parts today. ****'s son Rob Moroso was equally accomplished on the NASCAR circuit; winning the 1998 Bush Cup. A cager took him out; he was killed in a car crash in North Carolina in 1990.

The track is North of the City of West Palm Beach, and about 15 miles West of pretty much anything. The area is typical South Florida drained swamp, consisting of scrub pines and palmetto bushes. Immediately across from the track is a huge Pratt and Whitney facility, which manufactures aerospace hardware, including jet engines among other things. It's a pretty nice ride though; a divided four lane with little traffic made for a good chance to wind out the Vee. Not all VStroms are ugly, BTW, take a look at this beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Welcome to PBINTRCWY.JPG (173.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Super Strom!.JPG (174.1 KB, 0 views)

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Racerbikes N Stuff

Today was practice day at the track, with several races planned for tomorrow. I was able to finagle a wrist band that got me access to all areas by telling the registrars I needed photos for a website article. I rode and then walked through the pits, which were filled with bikes, trailers, racers, and track workers. Everybody was really friendly, especially the amatuer racers who were very willing to tell me all about their bikes and racing efforts. The track sessions were about 20 minutes; they had amatuer only, pro only, and mixed sessions. There was also a motorcycle track school running; they had one session while I was there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Open Another Can Of Ducks.JPG (243.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MVs.JPG (223.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Super Tard.JPG (221.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Hand Me That Motorcycle.JPG (171.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I didn't visit the old track, so it's impossible for me to compare the upgraded version versus the original crispy Moroso. Overall, the track itself looked to be in excellent condition; it was completely re-paved as part of the remodeling. I do know that previously, the drag strip was the straightaway for the road course; now they are separate, allowing both tracks to be used simultaneously. There is also a large kart track, which was up and running while I was there. There is also what appears to be a permanent BMW Driving School facility, which had Formula cars displayed. One of the amatuer racers I spoke to told me he thought they'd done a great job improving the track facilities, but he did not like the new design of the track itself.. He said he prefered more technical tracks with a lot of corners, adding: "The straightaway is so long you really need a Hyabusa." He had a Yamaha R6 and a Ducati 1098S, both of which looked brand new. "I'm representing the 50-something guys," and he wasn't the only guy with gray hair around. It looked to me like the pro guys were the young 'uns, and the Old Pharts made up the majority of the amatuer crowd. Guess it's a matter of money, free time, or both. It looked like a lot of fun, and I'm really interested in getting the details on "Motorcycle Mondays," which is a new event noted on the track's website. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone who had any information on that today, but I did get a name and phone number to call next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Classy Duc.JPG (222.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Lineup to the Track.JPG (194.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Racing n Stuff.JPG (120.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01832.JPG (176.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Moderators: is there a reason some of the photos show up and some don't? It happens on more than one of my computers...so I don't think it's my browser settings. Perhaps it's the file size? Thanks!

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 05-25-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Moderators: is there a reason some of the photos show up and some don't? It happens on more than one of my computers...so I don't think it's my browser settings. Thanks!
Yes. There is.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yes. There is.
Thanks seruzawa!