Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Ride Stories

Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Everglades Holiday Park

Every now and then in the various m/c magazines I read, I hear about "The Rock Store," where I understand LA riders like to visit on Sunday mornings. While we don't have Jay Leno, we do have a similar ride on Sunday mornings to Everglades Holiday Park.

It's not really a "park," more of an old-time Florida fish camp and tourist trap. They rent jon-boats for fishing, have airboat rides, alligator wrestling shows, and a gift shop where you can buy rubber snakes and genuine alligator feet. Good stuff.

The ride is nice enough once you're out of the city. You go West about 10-15 miles, and arrive on the Eastern edge of the Everglades. There's a big parking lot in front of the store/show stage/burger stand where all the bikes park. On a good day, like today, you'll see a few hundred bikes. If you stick around, there's a steady stream of people coming and going. Arrive early, and you can join a group that does a ride around Lake Okeechobee, which takes about 4 hours. It's a big lake.

Here's a few interesting bikes from today. There were two mint 1970's Japanese bikes, a Kawi 750 and a Honda 750. There was a Ural sidecar rig a guy was trying to sell for $8k, which seemed pretty steep for one without the driven sidecar wheel. I think it was an '06. A nice Ironhead Sporty, right-hand shift, and somebody's home-brewed 3-wheeler with an I-4 Yamaha engine with a shaft drive. The rear looked like it came out of a '40's Ford pickup. Damn those frame welds looked pretty scary. And my favorite, an original Triumph Thunderbird; completely untouched, modified, or restored. That bike deserves a better fate; it should be carefully disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Park.jpg (59.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Honda 750.jpg (74.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Kawi 750.jpg (53.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg media1.jpg (74.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Urine Sidecar.jpg (60.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Urine Sidecar 2.jpg (66.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 12-28-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The Rock Store is where the posers and wannabes go.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Some nice bikes there Ken, the CB750 looks like it just rolled out the dealership.. I've never been to the Rock Store either, I've never ridden in Kalifornia in fact but as a general rule I would think if a bunch of Hollywood Swingers hung out there it'd have to pretty well blow.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Looking at those pics I can almost taste the humidity and I believe I am getting phantom mosquito bites.

You can never get me to move back to that state. I would rather deal with the cold, snow, and ice over here than live through a year of Florida weather.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Ken,

That T-Bird is a 'new' one. Looks like a '99 or so. Great bikes, but never very popular. 885cc, IIRC. The T-Bird 'Sport' is a great looking bike.

The new one (the Thunderbird 1600) coming out this next summer looks like a Japanese FXR. At least on the left side. The right side has a huge chrome chain/sprocket cover that screws up the look (if you decide it has a 'look') completely.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Ken,

That T-Bird is a 'new' one. Looks like a '99 or so. Great bikes, but never very popular. 885cc, IIRC. The T-Bird 'Sport' is a great looking bike.

The new one (the Thunderbird 1600) coming out this next summer looks like a Japanese FXR. At least on the left side. The right side has a huge chrome chain/sprocket cover that screws up the look (if you decide it has a 'look') completely.
Are you sure it's a T-bird and not a Legend?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Are you sure it's a T-bird and not a Legend?
I'm damn sure no expert on Triumph, but it had a big "Thunderbird" logo on the side panels that looked original. It probably is a "new" one that's been neglected. I guess I assumed with all the hoopla about the GIGANTIC THUNDERBIRD THAT ATE THE WORLD coming out, the Bloor company hadn't used the name till now. Regardless, it was a cool looking "standard" that had a lot of things I liked.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My problem isn't cold, it's absence of cold. I don't mind hot weather for a month or so but I do best in 50 and cloudy.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Looking at those pics I can almost taste the humidity and I believe I am getting phantom mosquito bites.

You can never get me to move back to that state. I would rather deal with the cold, snow, and ice over here than live through a year of Florida weather.
It is pretty hot and humid 4-5 months a year, but you can still ride if you don't mind getting wet on occasion. I grew up in a 100 y/o house in Central FL without A/C, so it doesn't bother me that much. The past month is the weather we wait for, 60-70, no rain, no bugs. Traffic, old farts, crummy schools, those are my gripes.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It is pretty hot and humid 4-5 months a year, but you can still ride if you don't mind getting wet on occasion. I grew up in a 100 y/o house in Central FL without A/C, so it doesn't bother me that much. The past month is the weather we wait for, 60-70, no rain, no bugs. Traffic, old farts, crummy schools, those are my gripes.
You filthy, filthy, liar! 4-5 months of humidity my Lilly white ass! It is humid 10 month out of the year and the other two months are only 'less' humid than the other ten.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote