Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-19-2001, 12:40 PM   #1
LOSTinSPACE
Founding Member

Default Re: EPA To Adopt CA Streetbike Emission Standards

NoooooOOOOOO!

Just get rid of SUVs!
LOSTinSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2001, 01:18 PM   #2
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Fvck the EPA and California. They're doing this to look busy. Look at the standards for SUVs, they're ridiculously lenient. They're afraid to mess with SUVs so they go after an easier target like motorcycles. They are corrupt and counter productive and everyone currently involved with the agency should be fired.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 01:59 PM   #3
tony
Founding Member

Just cut their number by 50% then at least the ones left would have something useful to do. maybe

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 02:46 PM   #4
fr21555
Founding Member

What ever happened to those helmet stickers that read "we don't care how they do it in California"?

The EPA blowz. The People's Republic of California does too.
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 04:50 PM   #5
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Save the Earth, Build a Mall

It's very apparent to me that women are winning the war. Why else would there be 73 shopping malls within 100 square miles of me, yet only 1 tiny motocross track?!

It's nothing to pour concrete over 200 acres of my green earth for a new shopping mall for the ladies, permanently sealing it off for decades to come, but GOD FORBID i try to drive a 2stroke motorcycle around town for a few hours - those rabid environmentalists would have my hide!!

anyway, the earth is more precious than the air - in my view. F U Enviro-nazi's, malls are hazardous to MY health
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 06:11 PM   #6
Eric
Founding Member

Just to reveal my biases before I make my comment:

1) I'm a liberal. Big time (but a libertarian leaning liberal -- e.g. I think you're an idiot if you don't wear a helmet, but I am a little uncomfortable with the government telling you to do so).

2) I'm pretty pro-environment. E.g., drilling in the arctic bothers me for several reasons. One is the environmental damage. But worse to me is that further exploration is an excuse to put off painful choices that will eventually have to be made on fuel consumption. Arctic drilling will not make us oil independent, not by a long shot.

3) All that being said, I agree with many of the above post that motorcycles are the wrong target. Neither the Republican nor Democrat energy bill truly impacts SUVs and pickups. The best selling vehicle in the US is a pickup. Encouraging better emissions for light trucks would have far more impact than regulating motorcycles more. Some emissions standards, fine. But lets focus on the real problem, not the politically easy target of motorcycles. My current motorcycle already gets 45-50mpg (which does not necessarily say much about emissions, only fuel consumption). My mom's SUV gets 14-16. Changing SUV requirements a few percentage points will have more overall impact than massive changes in requirements for motorcycles as there are a hell of a lot more SUVs than motorcycles on the road.

4) There is a hell of a lot more to be said on this issue, but I am too tired and too incoherent to add much more.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 07:18 PM   #7
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I'm pretty darned liberal--about as liberal as you get while still supporting the ideas of capitalism and such. But this drives me crazy. The pollution problems nationwide are not caused by people riding ZRX1100s (not CA approved) instead of ZRX1200s (CA approved). Carbon dioxide emissions are caused by massively inefficient vehicles (those that get 10-15 mpg); harmful pollutants in the atmosphere are caused by INDUSTRY, two-strokes, and by old dirty-running cars and trucks.

Every little bit counts, but this is like putting a bandaid on the scratched chin of someone who just got their leg ripped off. The EPA is missing the big picture entirely and giving all environmentalists a bad name.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 07:49 PM   #8
heart-of-sword
Founding Member

Default Someone please send them a copy!

Do they ever even notice or heard our comments on this website?
heart-of-sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 08:28 PM   #9
aminalmutha
Founding Member

I think the EPA should be dissolved. This is the most counter-productive, moronic agency in the entire freaking government. Commie bastards! Aaaargh!!!
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 10:28 PM   #10
Nepenthe
Founding Member

So when is it we get to vote the current EPA out of office?

The real questions are: will bikes of the future suck? will manufacturers be strangled by regulations to the point that true innovation and envelope-pushing ceases?
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote