Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-03-2001, 12:24 PM   #1
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Formula One versus Supercross

Formula One is so incredibly boring & horrendously expensive, why would anyone think that a competitive series would be profitable. Didn't One of the main drivers put his team in receivership? (The name escapes me right now.) Just what we need, another race series where the biggest budget & the best qualifier determine the race before the green flag ever drops.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2001, 02:28 PM   #2
Jaime
Founding Member

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I've followed formula 1 for over 25 years and it has grown into the most boring motorsport series (past 6-7 years, especially), and absurdly expensive. About 100 million a year for teams #2 to #5, less from there on, and much more for Ferrari.

Just how much Honda spends on their worldwide motorcycle racing efforts is unknown to me, but I'm willing to bet it is less than Ferrari's one year F-1 budget.

Supercross will always be more fun and "cheap" enough for even semi-privateers to participate in it.
Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:43 AM   #3
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Wait a minute, that

This could actually get pulled off. I agree with the previous posts, F1: too expensive, too boring, too much about how much you want to spend on 3.5 L of engine and 4 wheels holding up wings and a driver. Especially too much about the split in the TV money.

BUT...X-F1 baby, Extreme F1! Take a page out of the Honda rulebook for 500 GP and screw the displacment limit! Go to 5 liters, but keep the tires and or wing limits. You'll get way more HPs than the tires can manage, and it'll be a hell of a bunch cheaper to keep them going. Homologate the chassis, so that you don't have to sell your space shuttle to get one, and collectors will pitch in for the ones that the poor F3 guys don't trade theirs in for. Whatever you do, make sure you are knocking on the door of the F1 times, and Bernie Warhol Ecclestone will finally have that professional coronary everyone has been waiting for, and maybe we'll all get something to watch every other weekend that MGP isn't on.

This is all idealistic crap, however. This is all about the TV money, nothing else. Not "F1 is boring, we gotta do somthing for the fans..." because last I went there was still no fan shortage, go figure. They lost me after I actually got off my ass and went to 3 GP's in Europe. What a waste, each year worse than the next.
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:15 AM   #4
RacinJason
Founding Member

MO - Where did my post from yesterday go?????????????
RacinJason is offline   Reply With Quote