Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-09-2001, 07:01 AM   #11
pushkin_9
Founding Member

Default Glow Bug

Screw safety....this would look awesome.

I had one of the light up watches and would play with it all the time...such an awesome bluegreen color.

Stick it on an R1 around the headlights, and it would make the R1 look like an evil alien beast, which it already sort of does.

Hmmmm...must find way to get this stuff.

-push
pushkin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2001, 09:01 AM   #12
goddamoldladies
Founding Member

Default Re: Glow in the dark motorcycles?

hey this sounds great....a glow in the dark bike...for people who can't see headlights or tail lights....i want to get one that glows white with red glowing wheels..and a set of leathers that glow a skeleton bones outline....that should be pretty impressive passing cars at 140mph on dark roads..i bet the drivers wont miss me...especially when i fire up the afterburners and turn on my lightsabre......jeez who thinks of this ...politicians..

use the force...
goddamoldladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:54 AM   #13
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default It will work great, until...

...every bike glows. These ideas are great until everyone does it. Remember when cars started being built with the extra brake light in the back window? I remember the first time I saw a car with that -- I noticed right away. Now, they don't stick out like they did. The same with people driving cars with the lights on all the time (all GM products), if you see a crowded road and everybody has their lights on -- no one car stands out. I guess I am a little concerned about if everything that moves is glowing or shining brightly there will too much vision stimuli and people will begin to rely on everything that moves must glow.

What do you guys think?

Scott

neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:42 AM   #14
das
Founding Member

Art, do you have links to more information about these leathers?

All I found at the Vanson website (http://www.vansonleathers.com/) was information about jackets and pants that have Scotchlite reflective piping in the visible seams, which is not nearly the same as glow-in-the-dark leather.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 11:40 AM   #15
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Rotating Beacons on Helmets Soon Required

Leave it to Thomas Jefferson to plagiarize. First John Locke, and now Ben Franklin.

Ben Franklin said "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 12:18 PM   #16
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

I believe the jackets are not quite full production yet. We have some of the leather around here, and it's amazingly bright at night if you leave or wear it out in the sun during the day.

Art
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 04:54 AM   #17
Chubber
Founding Member

Even with Vanson, the scotchlite is only on the piping. It looks good, but there is no replacement for square inches. I want to know when I can buy a silver helmet covered in Scotchlite. Why aren't the sticker makers cutting more designs that have scotchlite as the white in the designs?

At home I am working on a flag made from red and white strips salvaged from reflective safety vests. Once I figure out how to make stars and get it all sewed up, it will go on the back of the jacket, about 10x12 inches. That should make me stand out pretty well.... Plus I have a 1 inch strip that goes across the back of my helmet and a 1/2 inch strip that goes across the front over the visor. It is visible over 100 yards away with headlights. THe tape only cost $6.00 and I have plenty left.

You dont have to wait for the 'pros' to figure this stuff out. You can do it and it can look cool at the same time.

Chris
Chubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 05:17 AM   #18
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default It will never happen.

Its a great idea, but because of the powerful influence of abcnews.com on the world, and in particular, one crack (head) science reporter, Lee Dye, this rather interesting idea has met its untimely death. How, you say, can this be true?

It glows, it comes in sheets, it doesn't need a lot of juice, comes in colors, yes yes, but how much already? Mr. "Dye Hard Science", in search of a nice punchy closing to his piece, misquotes the prototype cost by a factor of 10, thus casting serious doubt on the ability of any factory process to bring the cost into line with anything reasonable. $15,000 in prototype to $70 in production? No way. Thus this idea ends here.

Of course the press release where this all comes from says $1500, chump change for a prototype. This all falls in line with the journalism's number one tenet, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." Needless to add that I'm currently holding my breath for a page 1 correction.
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 08:27 AM   #19
Biker4751
Founding Member

Right you are Art. I fell in love with the Vanson's CSRX jacket with

reflective lables and piping at last Fall's open house. It really does make a difference when riding at night.
Biker4751 is offline   Reply With Quote