Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-31-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: Indians for America

i think it's a very honorable thing for Indian to do, and i applaud them.

on a completely different note while we're talking Indians, i think they are ridiculously overpriced. $23,000? what are you getting for that price? this is nearly double the price of the average cruiser. In the auto world, a car that is double the price of its competitors(BMW, Mercedes) has a level of refinement and performance that justifies the price. i don't see this on the Indians. i only see a good looking bike with decent performance.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2001, 10:57 AM   #2
tbuse
Founding Member

I am swallowing my normal nasty comments about Indians and will just say "Thanks".
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 01:03 PM   #3
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Is that a seam on the gas tank?
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 01:17 PM   #4
MartialStax
Founding Member

At first glance, I thought you said "i think it's a very horrible thing for Indian to do, and i applaud them."

I guess I'm just used to everyone heing negative to anything coming out of Indian (myself included). Yes, it is a good thing they're doing. I hope it rases a few dollars for the relief efforts.
MartialStax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 01:21 PM   #5
john
Founding Member

no, not a seam, just a reflection

Old 10-31-2001, 01:42 PM   #6
RWUB
Founding Member

First thing I thought
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 03:05 PM   #7
Poser
Founding Member

I hope they can- let's do a little math:

They have about one for each of 225 dealers. That means 225 bikes, give or take. They pledge $1,000 donation for each bike, if I read the story right. I don't know what their profit margin is, but it is probably not less than $1,000 per bike. And they don't make the donation until the bike sells, so they don't have any negative cash flow from the deal, assuming that they have an adequate margin. Those are high priced bikes. They might have a profit margin greater than $1,000 per bike. So, if they do well by doing good, everybody wins. All the best to them.

That said, they give up a possible $225,000 profit. I don't carry that around as pocket change!

Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 03:42 PM   #8
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default A BMW does not cost twice as much...

as Japanese cars that are comparable in size and equipment. You can buy a 6-cyl. 3-series sedan for little more than a well-equipped V6 Camry or Accord if you shop around. And well they shouldn't cost twice as much because build quality isn't any better if that's what you mean by refinement. Since I drive a bimmer I guess it's okay if a lot of people out there think they're expensive, but only a few low-volume models like the Z8 and certain "M"-types actually do carry ridiculous price tags. The rest carry just a very modest premium that most bimmerphiles find worth it for their wonderful driving characteristics compared to FWD appliance cars.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 07:08 PM   #9
starvingstudent
Founding Member

My thoughts as well. Perhaps they added a $1000 to the price of each bike so that their profits aren't compromised? I'm not ripping on them for doing this if they did--the potential buyer wouldn't notice a 1k difference. It just becomes a bit of a "charity tax," I suppose. And I'd much rather pay a charity tax than a vaseline tax.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 07:12 PM   #10
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default To answer my own question...

The Scout is $2000 less than the Spirit and only a teensy weensy bit less shiny. I'll bet this is a charity tax in that case (which is NOT a bad thing all things considered).
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote