Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-29-2001, 10:17 AM   #11
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Men are faster than Women

Funny. I know way more men than I do women, and yet I can name more of those same females who have crashed than I can for the guys.

I ride faster than my surrounding traffic at times, but I have never caused another accident because of my speed.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2001, 10:39 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So according to your logic if it's snowing where I live then it MUST be snowing where YOU live right?

Old 10-29-2001, 10:42 AM   #13
Monster
Founding Member

Agreed, once again it's the assumption that speed ALONE causes more accidents. I've no doubt more males vs females get tickets because more males than females are on the road driving on any give day in any given city. I'd like to see the percentage of speeding tickets these cops write versus the overall tickets. What about illegal passing, running stop lights & signs, improper use of turn signals and improper lane changes? How many people with poor or dangerous driving habits perform these stunts in front of 'the law' but never get ticketed? It's easier to sit by the side of the highway and wait for the radar gun to go off to meet their monthly quota. And don't MORE accidents happen within city limits than on the highway? What's the statistics for tickets writen on the highway vs city limits? I guess the point of this tirade is that the whole revenue-generating process of handing out tickets has NOTHING to do with improving road safety. It just means that when somebody runs you down they probably won't be speeding when they do it. Cold comfort.
Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:02 AM   #14
Neal
Founding Member

Young men are targeted,followed and nver get warnings.From the age of 16-44

I got about 15 speeding tickets and no warnings.In the last 6 years,Ive gotten 1 ticket and 4 warnings.My wife,a willowy long haired blonde who drives fasret than me got a "whole lot"of warnings but only one ticket from 16-44.Since then shes gotten 3 tickets(shes not quite so willowy and her hair is less blonde and long) and no warnings.I think age and gender(and pulchritude) has a lot to do with how likely someone is likely to get a ticket,irregardless of driving habits.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:24 AM   #15
granny
Founding Member

I'd not be surprised to learn that males are more targeted than females but a persons gender (or age) isn't so obvious when wearing helmet and leathers. Is that rider on the R1 with the pony tail a woman or a man? You can't always tell, the female riders that I know are much more muscular (lower body fat) than female non-riders that I know.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:45 AM   #16
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Duh, let's see... There are many more male riders than female, and that being said, I remember an old survey that said a higher percentage of male riders (vs female) preferred sport bikes. Sport bikes are more targeted by cops than other bikes. What looks faster, an r1 doing 78 or a cruiser doing 82?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:48 AM   #17
alanheng
Founding Member

What!? You mean it's not snowing where you live?

My point is that going above the speed limit doesn't necessarily have a high correlation to how good of a driver someone is, or whether or not that person will get into an accident.

I have gone 150 mph on a highway before. Nothing bad came of it.

I have a friend who split lanes at 25 mph, with the cars in the right lane being parked cars. He ended up hitting an Explorer that was making a right turn in front of him.

Instead of paying for speeding tickets, I'll gladly help pay to have everyone run through a more rigorous driving test... every 2 or 3 years. Weed out the idiots who think they're the only ones on the road; and that just because they're on a fast bike or a bike SUV that their actions don't affect others.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:38 PM   #18
vmxxx
Founding Member

yes thats it, they're lacking strength and the reflexes to drive safely....lololol. Sorry I had to .....;-P
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:49 PM   #19
dwindhorst
Founding Member

The only generalization I'm comfortable making is, if a guy is going to get stopped on a

motorcycle, he should try to arrange it so that the officer is an off-duty motorcyclist.

Although extreme (okay, nauseating) politeness has on rare occasions managed to get me

out of a fine for minor infractions on four wheels, every single time I've been stopped on

a bike (geez, what're those odds?), the cop was a rider (I have no experience regarding stops

by motorcycle-mounted cops). I promptly removed my helmet and gloves, produced the

prerequisite paperwork, nodded "yes, sir" agreeably (even the time I'd blipped the gas a bit and

wheelied over some railroad tracks when there was a cop right behind me: "Son, I don't mind if

you're enclined to engage in that sort of thing now and then, but keep it off my streets, okay?"),

and got off with a warning -- even once when the cop was a confirmed Harley guy who took

umbrage at my hanging a knee off an old ZX600. As soon as he was assured I wasn't quite as

squidly as he first thought, he was cool.

Oh, man. If only half the moral is "Be nice, and maybe it'll save you some cash," I'm

sounding way too much like my dad.
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:57 PM   #20
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Ouch.

Nick, there's a reeeeeal art to hanging onto a joke like that until an opportunity comes up

to work it into conversation.

Now, whether my sigoth will find it as funny is another matter.
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote