Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-24-2001, 04:29 PM   #11
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Re: Petition to keep speedvision

I've already signed that...

The problem is: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Can you FATHOM how much money NASCAR brings in? Do you see those superspeedways packed to the gunwales with Joe-bub and Joe-mama?

Think of it...tickets are at LEAST 50 bucks a head and then, people aren't allowed to bring much in with them...so they have to go buy beer, pop, food, water, bathroom rights () from the vendors!

Then, we get nothing but "money shots" of the cars coming right at the camera on TV with the huge corporate sponsor names lathered grotesquely across their facades! We're talking BEAU COUP BUCKS @ Nascar!!!

So, please, for goodness sake! Go sign it...just don't be surprised when Fox takes it and wipes off their better side with it...
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2001, 05:12 PM   #12
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Petition to keep speedvision

You make some good points, who bothers to race to the PC to see results if they haven't seen the race. I don't even have Speedvision, but do have FoxSports, and get some MC racing (from Speedvision productions).

The other point made by Blip about them showing the race if they were allowed to has a few problems. First, not many people really have the Bandwith to watch video with good quality. As far as being subject to the time schedules the races are shown, well I rarely watch them when they're actually broadcast, I tape them and watch later.

Still I think the point about low viewer ship has got to be true. Think about how few people ride. And of those you know that ride, how many follow MC raicng very much.

As far as the petition, we could all sign, every MO reader, every motorcyclist, but I don't think it will matter one bit.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:13 PM   #13
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: Speedvision Sold, Future of Bike Programming?

I've been a car guy since I was three years old, forty (gulp) years ago. I watched car races every chance I got (though I've always favored road courses over ovals). This year, I got into bikes for the second time, and started watching bike racing for the first time. And you know what? It's the best dang motor racing, of any kind, that I've seen in many years. Especially 500 GP and Superbike (World and AMA). I mean, wow! Close competition! Lots of passing! Significant fractions of the field finishing on the lead lap, or even in sight of the leader! It just doesn't get any better. If they could just get some of the gearheads out there to give it a try, they'd be hooked!

I think NASCAR is oversaturated already, and will soon start losing its audience. But the biggest mistake, IMHO, is changing the name! They've spend years building up the Speedvision brand name, and now Fox wants to throw that away and start over? What kind of idiots are running that network?

I signed up for my cable company's extra-cost "digital cable" offering just to get Speedvision. I watch all the bike shows, even "American Thunder" (if only to laugh at Michele Smith's "acting"). If Speedvision, er excuse me, Speed Channel, dumps bikes, maybe I'll dump digital cable. That might be a message they'd understand.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:16 PM   #14
stevegrab
Founding Member

Uhh, not sure how much (if any) CART coverage there is (or ever has been on Speedvision). That's almost exclusively telecast on ESPN/ABC.

But anyway, it is absurd to go to a NASCAR channel, isn't there enough of that crap on already? I guess like all sports, it boils down to money, and where the money is coming from.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:16 PM   #15
apriliadon
Founding Member

Default Get off your high horse...

MO content has been almost non-existant for quite a while. First you guys go in the toilet and now Speedvision. What next? My bike throws a rod?

Don
apriliadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:18 PM   #16
wwalkersd
Founding Member

P.S. Motorcycling's biggest TV coverage problem is probably that the sponsor logos are too small to show up well on TV. Maybe they should race baggers, to get a big, flat billboard surface.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 06:43 PM   #17
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Fox has a better side?

I'm not just talking about the motorcycle races, I'm talking about F1. I know mc racing is tiny here 'cause people suck, but to do speedvision right, you gotta have a little of all of it. So mc racing HAS to ride in on F1, SCCA and rally coattails. Fox isn't just tossing out mc racing, they're tossing out all motorsports except for that stock car crap. Since speedvision viewers in general are not NASCAR viewers, they're throwing out a whole market, and they're throwing away money. Of course, that money just happens to be pennies compared to the NASCAR money, so they just don't care. But a whole new NASCAR channel wouldn't interfere with speedvision at all, and it would technically be more money. Just more initial investment. I don't know why they had to buy speedvision anyway, if those viewers aren't enough to care about, why does speedvision have any value? Do they really just think because it's racing related, and technically NASCAR is racing, that they're gonna pick up some of the old audience? Did they buy it just because it was the cheapest, and the racing angle just happens to be a coincidence? Why couldn't they just buy any other channel, they all have about as much to do with NASCAR as speedvision does. Like the food channel, or hell, TNN. You wouldn't even notice the change.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 06:52 PM   #18
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Yeah but...

the fun part is when he passes Biaggi on the outside after Biaggi's dirty passes, then while he's still leaned over takes one hand off and flips Biaggi off! Now that ruled, screw clean. Or taking his lap with a chicken on back. But, people like crap. You guys get cart on your broadcast TV? I don't even think we get that except on cable.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:52 PM   #19
machine
Founding Member

I agree that for the most part NASCAR races are not worth watching unless you are some kind of backwoods hillbilly...BUT, I am obsessed with speed, bikes, cars whatever. I went to one of the "driving" schools where you pay an inordinate amount of money to drive a restricted Winston Cup car around the track at 160 MPH. It was unreal, even full into the corner I could jack the wheel and the car would move wherever I wanted it too. It was cool and I have more respect for what those drivers and cars can do.
machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:57 PM   #20
J190pruf
Founding Member

If I remember correctly ESPN wanted a piece of motorcycle racing at the beginning of this season, but speed vision got the rights to AMA, WSBK, and GP, wouldn't ESPN be able to get it all now?
J190pruf is offline   Reply With Quote