Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-18-2001, 11:17 AM   #1
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default Improvements. Lucky Us.

NO. Not a new look. Please don't. We're bashful and like it when MO looks like it was designed in the Internet's Paleolithic age.

Actually, all this stuff sounds cool. Now go ride.
Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2001, 11:25 AM   #2
Exocet
Founding Member

Default Re: Out of the wilderness...

You ask for gender in the login script, so can we have custom content for girls on the homepage, preferably without the "R-rated" stuff, which I don't think will be that appealing to me?
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 03:06 PM   #3
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Lol, 'luny'?

A spell-checker would be nice. :0)

I'd like it if when you do road tests and comparisons, you test and publish a little more performance data.

Might want to recalibrate that dyno.

Keep all the test archives when you upgrade, please.

Sometimes when I'm reading messages, the whole page refreshes for no reason. It can be annoying when I'm on a slow connection.

I'll have more later.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 04:09 PM   #4
wwalkersd
Founding Member

All those flashy new features may help grab users initially, but what'll keep 'em coming back is content, content, content. I know Brent loves to hack on this stuff, but don't let him waste time fixing what ain't broke. Make him ride and write. MO's current ancient interface works just fine, thanks. Just like we tell the bike makers, skip the Bold New Graphics (Bold New Gee-Whiz features) and give us more substance.

P.S. So when will we see the promised power-cruiser comparison?
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 04:38 PM   #5
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Can't... handle... change...

Well at least minime and hackfu are still around, right? Right?

Seriously, this sounds way cool.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 05:27 PM   #6
MC
Founding Member

Being a guy, any "R-rated" stuff is fine by me.

MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 05:30 PM   #7
MC
Founding Member

Default Page refresh!

Yes! Fix the page refresh, please! There seems to be some code that forces a refresh in order to reposition the scrolling news box. Better yet, just go ahead and ditch the scrolling news box.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 06:01 PM   #8
blip
Founding Member

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that, but easy to do, so we will. That _is_ the reason we're switching to a DB-backed publishing system, after all. Easier to (at least apper to be) all things to all people.

However, you're underestimating how showboaty young (male) racers are, some have already volunteered to be shot in their skivies. For free. Freaks, the lot of them (but not because they like to walk around in speedos).
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 06:12 PM   #9
blip
Founding Member

Page refresh? Hmm... I don't see that happening, and there's nothing in the headers setting a timeout/expiration. Maybe you're going through a proxy that's time-based caching it? Or, maybe something's wacked here... what configuration are you using for OS/browser? I wonder if it's only happening under certain platforms.

Old 10-18-2001, 07:05 PM   #10
blip
Founding Member

True, to a point, but there are significant areas where we're lacking, and I think (in the motorcycle community, at least) we're the online site with a sizable enough motorcycling user base to pull it off: Things such as user groups where people of like interest and/or nearby geographical locations can hang out. We used to do this with our old BBSes and majordomo mailing lists, but the ability to control, rather to exactly identify and punt jerks, just wasn't there. As the volume of use got huge, so did the slight percentage of dodoheads that were making life aggravating for everyone else. At that time, it required a lot of work by us individually, now, however, it's more acceptable to have a task manager to deal with it, usually that's the person that set up the group/forum/calendar/ride and so on, and people can see the dis-association between MO per se and the task manager. Legally, they're mostly separate now, too, or at least much moreso than before -- Prodigy's mid-1990s loss of a couple million over a post in a user-moderated forum had a lot to do with us pulling forums/groups, but the legal atmosphere has changed.

We want people to be able to build their home pages around the bikes they own so we can auto-rank them (by hits, and by user ratings) in features when we review the new model of what they have. People seem to dig our features, but this is something that is asked for a lot, and we haven't delivered. A centralized source for professional reviews coupled with owners' experience is the idea.

In short, the one-to-many publishing of features will continue, but we need to meld into the overall MO real-world, real people that can interact and meet on a one-to-one basis.

Funny thing is, when we last spoke to (big media monitoring firm), we were the "stickiest" automotive site on the 'Net, but we're still not happy with it.