Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-19-2001, 06:14 AM   #21
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Out of the wilderness...

Usually, you're seeing stories from the UK printed online before us, as they wontonly break embargos. The US press holds to the deadlines we agree upon. It's an ethics things.

Other things, like dealer shows and such, you're correct, we don't rush them up. We do post a lot of rumors and such in news.mo, but it seems like you've got something specific in mind that we missed?

With new-and-secret bikes and first rides of those bikes, we're always first in the USA. We print stories the second the embargo expires, and if there isn't one, within a day of returning from a press intro. I usually ask that the text is done on the way back from the intro, and we need a day to develop film, MPEG and DivX the videos and get the story ready. Since our online competition is so (relatively) small, we're not concerned if someone spazzes out some text a day in advance if we can have a full feature up.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2001, 07:30 AM   #22
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is the "pay" site?

I paid my $12 and would like my pay site... Where did my $12 go...?

Later,

Philip

ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 07:33 AM   #23
MC
Founding Member

Try viewing an article, such as this one :

<tt>

http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...rder=0&thold=1

</tt>

Then adjust the size of your browser window.

I'm in Win2K, IE 5.00.3315.1000, SP2

The problem is probably in 'myScroller'. Take a look at scroller.js, it is reloading the page :

<tt>

window.onresize = scrollerReload;

function scrollerReload() {

if (isMinNS4 && origWidth == window.innerWidth && origHeight == window.innerHeight)

return;

// For IE, reload on a timer in case the Windows 'Show window contents while

// dragging' display option is on.

if (isMinIE4)

setTimeout('window.location.href = window.location.href', 2000);

else

window.location.href = window.location.href;

}

</tt>
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 07:48 AM   #24
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Can

We're here baby. Just for you!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 07:53 AM   #25
bigjames
Premium Member

As a 'paying member' and an Oracle/DB2/Informix/SQL Server dba I have to say, noooooooooooooooooooooooo, not MySql. Ok, it is free, but so is personal editions for Oracle and DB2! Just got through dumping a computing POS that was torpedoed by MySql )(%#&)(*^!

And on another front, A New Look? What, bold new graphics to go with the lame-o database? BBS's, you are kidding right? Was Brent eating a lot of peyote on this little trek of his? Swallowing marigold seeds? Came across an old commune that still had some of that good stuff from the '70's?

Guess we will wait and see the good stuff along with the impending carnage.

James Allmond

Macon, Ga

00 K1200LT

88 FLHS/Watsonian

51 Servicar
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:29 AM   #26
blip
Founding Member

Default Is this /.?

I didn't like Oracle. It's great, but bloated and in our application, significantly slower, and it's not free for the uses we do -- replicated clusters with read->local(slave) write->master. MySQL was, by far, the fastest, supports transactions with InnoBD, and we're migrating to 4.0 today. While I miss subselects more than the lack of foriegn keys or stored procedures (you can use foriegn keys with InnoDB, I hear), life with MySQL is good.

Note that MO has served over a billion hits now without missing a beat. In the end, that's all that really matters: uptime and speed.

Frankly, I don't give a flyin' fig what configuration people use as long is it works. I know plenty of big companies that have crapola Oracle databases, which is more about stiking crap in a bad schema than the backend database.

We've been powered by Linux (even the videos are made on Linux) since 1995, and are committed to open source. Being that the MO code and the load-balanced, hot-spare(s) replicated set-up is all GPL, that means hot-shoes like you can volunteer to checkout and make it better!
Old 10-19-2001, 08:43 AM   #27
blip
Founding Member

My Netscape browser reloads all pages when you resize the page. When I disable javascript, it does the same.

I thought we were talking about just (statically) looking at a page and having it force-reload?

I'm not a big fan of the scroll box, I guess we could remove it and put a list of the top-10 most-read stories in this category... or something else?
Old 10-19-2001, 12:14 PM   #28
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Hmm, now I know why I don't use Netscape. )

But yah, the reload happens when I'm not viewing any other pages, not resizing, not even touching mouse or keyboard.

There are bigger problems in the world than this one, but it's those subjects with 30-40 messages--every time it reloads it takes a while on my offensively-slow connection to come back, then you have to go find the message you were reading again, then it will reload again randomly a little later.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 12:43 PM   #29
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Glad you got to do your hike, blip! When I last chatted with you, you were considering it, but weren't sure if it would actually work out or not. But that is so cool that you got the chance to go and do it. What an accomplishment. Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2001, 08:33 AM   #30
wwalkersd
Founding Member

...Things such as user groups where people of like interest and/or nearby geographical locations can hang out...

Hmm. Sorta like esportbike.com, without the narrow sportbike focus. That sounds pretty good. The forums are the only thing on esportbike that's worth a damn, and they're something MO currently lacks. I do like the ability to comment on the articles, though. Keep that.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote