Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-18-2001, 07:50 PM   #11
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Sounds like you are on the right track,

More infrastructure allowing a more individualized and interactive experience, plus more content, is good. I'd certainly like to see some kind of forum capability that could be targeted toward riding styles; as well as geographic regions. Maybe some ability to catalog user information about great roads, products, technical advice, etc. Filtering would be icing on the cake.

Of course, I'd also like to see some in-depth reviews of, and more comparo's of all the great standards and sport-tourers that are out and are coming out soon.

But, how long does it take to walk 1800 miles, anyway?
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2001, 09:40 PM   #12
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Re: Out of the wilderness...

Could be. I've had it happen at home when I had DSL as well as now that I have superslow dial-up. Also happens at work on a T1.

In all cases, OS is Win98SE, browser is IE 5.0 (not 5.5).

It's not that big a deal, but if you're reading a message down the page, it takes a while to come back and you have to find the message again. At first I thought it was a real-time update for the messages (somebody posts and it automatically brings me up to date), but that's not true.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:26 PM   #13
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default New site

Well, I have to say that I like your site the way it looks. I'm with the guys who say ditch the flashy graphics ideas. I prefer MO over the other sites, because it's simpler, easier to navigate, and has good content. To be honest, more than half of the time, I'm more interested in what my fellow motorcyclists have to say, than I am in the articles you guys write. I love reading Gabe, AbeFroman, Starvingstudent, and other great posters (didn't mean to leave all the other great minds out, but these guys comment a lot and have good stuff to say). I think it's amazing how off topic the replies can get, and how much more entertaining they are than some articles (i.e. indians new vp of whatever zzzZZZ Uberboring, but the responses to the NHTSA article, great - to cite a couple of current articles). Anyway, I stay at MO and donated because I like the pics, the content, and reading and responding to the longtime readers and true thinking motorcyclist afficionados out there. Keep the rubber down guys, keep MO clean-not clutterd, and keep writing good stuff I can read when I'm not riding!
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 02:13 AM   #14
Eric
Founding Member

1) I like the ability to respond to articles, but I much prefer to read about new products/bikes. How about beefing up the content? When reviewing motorcycles, why wait until you have the final test/article done? As an online resource, you have the opportunity to do so much more. How about side articles on some of the rides you take on the motorcycles you are testing? You wouldn't even have to wait for the final review to do so...

2) I may be one of the few, but I really like the touring the world stuff.

3) If you do try to tailor content to the user, make sure it works. Small example -- several times I have attempted to set my preference to viewing messages "nested." Most of the time they show up in a threaded format. My preference says nest, the site always welcomes me and thanks me for my donation, then gives me threaded messages. A small issue to be sure, but a request to make sure the detail things work.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 02:50 AM   #15
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Did you check out the Deep Creek hot springs?

Pacific Crest Trail goes right by there between Lake Arrowhead and the little Mojave town of Hesperia.

There's one of my favorite things in nature.

By a river in a deep canyon is a large rock. Hot water fills four pools that look as though they must have been carved out of that rock, but they occured naturally. Soaking in these pools is a high experience.

If you didn't, you just have to go back. The crest trail runs by the flood control dam at Hesperia and up the Deep Creek, which becomes the Mojave River. The hot spring is only 6 miles upstream from the dam.

In hippy heydays there'd be hundreds of people there on weekends with drug supermarkets all over. Then for decades there were fugitives from justice. Now it's just delightful folks like ourselves.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 03:34 AM   #16
RRocket
Founding Member

I think what hurts this site the most, is it is not timely in the reporting. I frequently see articles of interest appear here several days after they have appeared elsewhere online. I was told "we like to investigate the facts before printing". Well then why don't you make a section called "Rumour Mill" and post the stuff that you guys "hear" about the industry. This would enable you to print it rapidly, and to indemify yourselves, since it is after all a "rumour"..
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 03:36 AM   #17
lazy1
Founding Member

follow the money, my friend. if they know your

gender, it's easier to sell their lists to

advertisers.
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 06:06 AM   #18
blip
Founding Member

Eric, I'm guessing it's not really an error, just an oversight: If you click on a link to a news item from anywhere else (like inside a story, from the www.mo news-updated in the homepage), the preferences cookie isn't read. I've been meaning to fix that, as it annoys me to no end.

If you're having problems clicking on news.mo links off the cover and not getting nested (or other preferences) views, let me know...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 06:07 AM   #19
blip
Founding Member

Hmm, is it an IE5.0 only thing? Have you tried IE 5.5?

We have a windoze box at the office, I'll fire it up and look.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:09 AM   #20
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Did you check out the Deep Creek hot springs?

I soaked in deek creek hotsprings after a 33 mile day through the desert-like wash/burnout leading up to it, it was awesome! That's where I met the Smokin' Eagles and Dirty Girls, two groups that I'd hike with on-and-off for the next 1300 miles...