Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-17-2001, 02:15 PM   #1
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian Announces V.P. of Operations

"Indian's status as an American icon is in large part due to its legacy of exceptional dealer and customer service."

Yeah. In the 1940s.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2001, 05:11 PM   #2
y2keuro
Founding Member

Tell me about it... when are these guys going to get a clue... the clone market is dead. Too bad flashy marketing seems to beat out real technical innovation. I wonder where Indian would be today if Eller Industries had gotten the rights. At least they had James Parker on board with plans to do a real American made sport bike.
y2keuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 06:07 PM   #3
blackvalkster
Founding Member

All I have to say about this Indian thing is,

that no one bought a bike in the '40s' or '50s'

or '60s' or '70s' and even most of the '80s',

for vanitys sake!

I'll have to admit that I've done my share of

showboating on my bikes over the years, but

this parading around like some kind of stuckup

a-hole, ignoring other motorcycle riders, and

and waking up the neighborhood with loud

"look-at-me" pipes, is the worst thing to ever

happen to motorcycling!!!

(P.S. "I really mean 'Harley thing', Indian won't

be around much longer!)
blackvalkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:41 PM   #4
TheFox
Founding Member

"...reinforce that tradition and further strengthen our competitive position," said Frank O' Connell, CEO...

Competitive? Position? Indian will be competitive when they have a real bike and some real dealers. The price is a joke and I have only seen one on the street. It looks like what it is: nothing.

I like the old Indians and Harleys too, but this company is a joke. It is pathetic what they are doing to this nameplate. I pray that one day an American that cares about motorcycles will own this nameplate, and show the world what we can do.

Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:48 PM   #5
bmaxw
Founding Member

While I don't necessarily agree with the other posters, I will admit that this is a load of corporate

crap. The original Indian had a lousy relationship with its dealers, and you don't go out of business with with "exceptional customer service."

"leveraging Saturn's "mass customization" capability"

"Leveraging" is a catch word that was popular a few years ago "solutions" is the hot word today, they need to at least catch up with the current BS. Seeing either one twice in one press release is a sure sign you need to cover your butt.

Here is what they are really saying.

Indian is in the first stages of death, so the smart guys at Audax see an opportunity to come in and save it with big $ and maybe make a killing, or at least get a tax right off.

This new management team is a group of corporate good old boys who see the opportunity to milk Audax for some big salaries before Indian dies.

This new dude has seen GM kill off Oldsmobile, the oldest name in American auto manufacturing, and feels that Saturn is not long for this world. His good old boy pals at Indian offer him the chance to get in on the action.

If I was an hourly employee at Indian I would be applying for a job as a Sky Marshall.
bmaxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:11 PM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Indian to More Aggresively Market to Jackas$es

Gilroy (AP) In a surprise move today, Indian Motorcycle Corporation's VP for Marketing announced that the fledgling company would more aggresively market to tasteless jackas$es.

"They are the dream customer for an overpriced, ridiculous product like ours," said Irving Hoover, VP for Marketing, Chrome and Novelties. "I wish we could breed these people. Too much money and not much taste equals ka-ching! ka-ching for us and our shareholders."

Others in the company however, are not as enthusiastic as Hoover. An engineer, wishing to remain anonymous, screamed in agony as a huge overseer branded him with a hot fender support to prod him on in his work. "Aieee! I won't make this bike any heavier with more chrome! It's getting so heavy it can't move under it's own power! No, no, not the whip!"

The jackas$ community welcomes the move by the company. "I think it's fantastic." said J. Thomas Flynn, a Silicone Valley intellectual property attorney and noted jackas$ "Finally, jackas$es are getting the rcognition we deserve with a product that is as blustery, overhyped, and worthless as we are. Harleys are close, but many of their models are hampered by clinging vestiges of utility. Indian gives me an oppurtunity to ride an overpriced, underpowered, uneliable deathtrap that costs more than most people on earth will make in a lifetime. That's practically tailor-made for a jackas$ like myself."

Traditional Indian enthusiasts remain indignant. "That's no Indian!" declared Traditional Indian Enthusiasts of America president Elmo J. Flintlock in a telegraphed interview from his sod hovel in Big Stone, Nebraska. "I won't be ridin' no bike with vulcanized rubber tires, points ignition, or a lubrication system! Give me india rubber, dynamo -advancer and total-loss lubricatin' everytime! I may not be some yahoo careenin' along at 60 miles per hour, but I'll get there! You just give me some time!"

Indian is expected to unveil it's new model, the Indian Excelsior Chief Henderson Fields, in early 2002. It will be constructed entirely of chrome, and the buyer will have the option of having himself chromed and permanently bolted to the motorcycle.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 09:19 PM   #7
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian to More Aggresively Market to Jackas$es

oh man, that was too funny, you get today's prize......yer choice, a dollar, or a new indian
Old 10-18-2001, 03:23 AM   #8
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

I'm sorry folks but I can't see how you can consider yourself a "real" motorcycle company with "real" engineers and not even have your own "real" ENGINE DESIGN! I guess the people who buy into this crap aren't the "real" bikers that they think they are....
Old 10-18-2001, 03:39 AM   #9
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

I think it's kinda sad. This new guy obviously is simply a manager. No knowledge of Indian's history or of motorcycles in general. Whilst I may not be a cruiser guy, the Indian name does not deserve to become (er, I guess it already has!) just another marketing tool.

Indian used to be on the forefront of technology and, at the same time, made some great bombproof bikes. Too bad a bit of the investment they made in exec's didn't make it into actual R&D

I'm not certain I agree with posters who shun Indian for not having their own engine. I think they've just got the wrong one. There are lots of engine manufactures out there who, with a little assistance, could provide Indian with a great and potentially unique engine.

Indian's just got to try to be in this for the long run and not just for selling jeans and sweatshirts.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 05:38 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian to More Aggresively Market to Jackas$es

Phabulous!

Probably much closer to the truth than the real news-bite.

Good job!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote