Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2001, 01:51 PM   #1
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: No More Two-Strokes

Bogus! Strokers rule. It sucks that they will no longer be. Better buy them now before they disappear.

First post.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2001, 02:39 PM   #2
dndrum
Founding Member

This really frustrates me. I ride around town dodging '71 Buick tanks that burn more oil than the Kuwait fires while they drag their muffler under the rear axle, no one does anything about it. Each year these POS's seem to get re-registered. Why doesn't the EPA crack down on that sort of thing? Is the motorcycle/ATV community an easier target because it's not as numerous as the general public? What a load of crap on the part of the EPA.

On the other hand, this will potentially propel 4-stroke technology to levels never seen before. Perhaps the only benefit I see.
dndrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:42 PM   #3
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Like I've said before... screw the EPA!!!
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 03:39 PM   #4
work2fish
Founding Member

Fine with me, provided we get lightweight, high performance 4-strokes. What about 2-stroke personal watercraft? Those are much worse offenders.
work2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 03:54 PM   #5
tony
Founding Member

There must be way to many folks working at EPA

if they need to be focusing on these issues. Now that the federal goverment is spending lot's of dollors at war maybe they will cut the epa's budget.

I think they do provide worth while services to a point. It looks like to justify their jobs they are off chasing ghosts.

My 2 cents,

Tony
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 04:24 PM   #6
heart-of-sword
Founding Member

that's right!! Even if all the motorcycle in the USA is a 2 stroke, they would still make much less pollution than those gasoline drinking SUVs. I' m not saying that two stroke is good for the enviroment (sigh) it's just that there are more bigger pollutant than them and the EPA should consider banning them first before they get their greasy hand on my CR (that is if they put their heads out of their azzez long enough to think clearly).

Peace

God Bless America
heart-of-sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 04:40 PM   #7
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Enforcement is another thing...

You're not the only one pissed at this sort of thing, but remember-this is proposed legislation, not final; and this legislation is only as good as the enforcement it gets locally. I can promise you that EPA is not out there busting the spewing Buicks because their enforcement budget was cut pretty severely. This means that if the locals can't be bothered to stop the Buicks, they'll never get around to busting your chops...my 2 cents.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 05:35 PM   #8
aminalmutha
Founding Member

The problem with the EPA is that they waaay overstep their bounds. They've got their dirty little fingers in all sorts of places they shouldn't be. I think the media and general public give them way too much credit because the word 'environmental' is in their name. There need to be deep budget cuts in this agency to keep them at bay.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:23 PM   #9
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Word to those who consider this some kind of deep blow to their personality: Grow up. Sorry, folks, but this one simply makes sense for anyone with the slightest ecological concern. Two-strokes are profoundly dirty (we're talking NOx, CO and HC emissions, not the CO2 stuff that everyone's too spineless to deal with). Having been half-Castroled to death as someone tuned an RZ350 during a recent visit to the Aprilia shop near Ithaca, my sympathy wanes. And especially given the advances in four-stroke dirt tech, this isn't going to ruin anyone's way of life. (Wonder if it applies to pure race machines, though.)

As for beater Buicks, old-car buyback programs that would deal with a lot of that get a ton of grief from any number of big-iron fan clubs (check out the letters in just about any issue of "Hemmings") and such folks as the fearsomely paranoid Jim Baxter of the American Motorists Association, and partially because of that aren't widespread enough to do anything good. SUVs? Yeah, I'd love to see a serious crackdown on them (starting with the petite local boomer woman whose cell phone is apparently essential for operation of her Excursion), but you're going up against both the unions AND Big Business on that one. Good luck.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:39 PM   #10
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

FYI... about SUVs, according to current emissions statistics, my wife's Suburban and my 2000 GMC 4x4 together don't produce half of the 'emitted solids' and phony 'greenhouse gasses' as my neighbor's '99 Civic. Check on it yourself.

I think we should eliminate 2-stroke weed eaters. They are used 100 times more than 2-stroke motorcycles, and I'd love to see a 'greenie' try to carry around a string trimmer with valves, cam and a timing chain. (Of course, the industry will come up with great new lightweight trimmers starting just under 1000 bucks)

They attack the manufacturers to keep us from buying what we want. Sounds like China.

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote