Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-27-2001, 06:24 AM   #31
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Amen brotha..

If I send you a self-addressed, stamped envelope, will you send me your autograph?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2001, 06:30 AM   #32
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Just curious.....

What is the average lifespan of a native New Guinea highlander? And what is their relative quality of life?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 06:35 AM   #33
JonNathan
Registered Member

Default Re: No More Two-Strokes

(Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic, but the answer may be more properly spelled as "L O B B Y I S T"...) Do you think any of this proposed legislation takes into account the more efficient 2-stroke technology that manufacturers such as Aprilia or Vespa are putting out? Granted, I've only seen applications for scooters, but this could surely the wave of the future for off-roaders as well...
JonNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 07:46 AM   #34
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Greenhouse Effect

I said there is debate about what causes greenhouse effect. Not about actual global warming. Yet there still is a lot of debate on that matter too. I really don't want to get into a debate about what the scientists are debating about, but realize that there IS a debate about all this stuff.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:20 AM   #35
WoofBoy
Founding Member

Default Re: Hold on.....

SUV's are classified as light trucks.

They are allowed more emissions than passenger cars.

If you take a Civic and an Expedition or any two hypothetical vehicles built simply to meet their required emissions standards the SUV (light truck standard) will produce MORE pollution than the car.

In either case, unless you are driving a Direct Inject two stroke, there is no way it has lower emissions.

WoofBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:26 AM   #36
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Hold on.....

Yeah, but the miles driven are a major factor in the actual contribution of pollutents into the environment.

A regulation that reduced car/SUV emissions by just a few percent would do more for reducing actual pollution than complete elimination of all motorcycle emissions. (I made up the numbers, but the theory is correct.)

Which is not to say that you shouldn't clean up motorcycle emissions (every little bit helps), but it would seem more reasonable to focus on the larger contributors first.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:31 AM   #37
lazy1
Founding Member

c'mon guys, face it! two strokes are dirty and need to

go the way of the dodo.....2006 can't come soon enough

for me.
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:01 AM   #38
elitegroup
Founding Member

Well I guess it's time I break down and go get a go-ped. Then I'm going to put the loudest most obnoxious pipe on it like all these rat kids. Fill the tank with a nice fat-rich mix at 20:1 and smoke my fat ass down the street HA HA HA! Oh but wait theres more, then we should all go out and buy them gas powered blenders (have you all seen those?) and drink our lives away in honor of the government HA HA HA! Piss on regs I'm sick of it all anymore because if you sit down and think about it for half a second we in the U.S. and the rest of the world have more important things to worry about!!!!!!
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:03 AM   #39
hondachop
Founding Member

I'm pretty sure this is one of those debates where everyone had chosen their side before even reading the article, but here's my two cents worth anyway. First of all, any scientist who disputes that anthropogenic climate change is happening right now is full of crap. I'm a graduate student in oceanography, and the evidence is there. There are debates about the exact mechanisms and causes, but humans are to blame and we will suffer the consequences. It might be in twenty years, it might be in two hundred years, but global warming will result in arable land being turned into desert, coastal cities flooding, and waves of refugees moving to higher ground. Anyone who thinks that is less important than the right to buy anything they want is on crack.

Having said that, the EPA is sometimes a bureaucratic, misguided, inefficient mess, like every other government department. They probably should go after coal generating plants, factory emissions, and SUV manufacturers, but other parts of the government prevent them from doing anything, so they end up going after minor offenders like off-road motorcycles. The best solution is to accept that we have to be responsible for our environment, and make your voice heard about where you want to make sacrifices - write letters, vote, and (most importantly) buy wisely - you can choose what you drive to work, who you buy your electricity from (in some areas), how much toxic crap you put into your lawn, etc. Demonstrate that there is support for reducing emissions, but that the worst offenders should go first, and not just the minor offenders who can't afford to buy a congressman.

One last political rant: ride to work! You can reduce emissions, reduce dependence on foreign oil producers by using less fuel, reduce traffic problems, reduce road wear, increase the visibility of motorcycles in a positive way, save on parking, and enjoy giving icy stares to SUV drivers as you whip by them at 90 mph.
hondachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:03 AM   #40
heart-of-sword
Founding Member

kiss my arse
heart-of-sword is offline   Reply With Quote