Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-25-2001, 12:00 PM   #1
RedDragon
Founding Member

Default Re: NHTSA reports Motorcycle deaths on the rise

Rollcages and seatbelts anyone?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2001, 12:17 PM   #2
jackbird
Founding Member

Default We Need AIRBAG RIDING SUITS as soon as possible

As an aging boomer still addicted to speed (not the drug, that was easy to kick in comparison) I hope one of you ambitious riding suit makers out there wants to work with me developing this significant improvement in personal safety. I could really use one.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:42 PM   #3
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Research Needed Here

The AMA's point about research is an important one. We really don't know much about why motorcyclists (well, you guys, not me) are crashing these days. Yet the NHTSA's Motorcycle Safety Implementation Plan does not include plans for comprehensive research. It has plans to fix what we think is broke, but not to troubleshoot the problem. Not that it matters. Any funds that would have gone to this project are probably now going away with the war on terrorism and declining tax revenue.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:47 PM   #4
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Just the facts,

I think a comprehensive study is a great idea. We need hard facts about what's going on.

My theory is that the increase in deaths correlates to the decrease in use of protective gear. Around my neck of the woods, Scottsdale/Phoenix, cruisers are at least 90% of the bikes on the roads, and virtually none of the riders wear helmets, let alone jackets or overpants. We seem to have a regular supply of fatalities, but the media rarely reports on helmet usage.

I don't favor mandatory helmet laws, but everyone should at least have the facts available to them before they make their decision to ride in heavy traffic in shorts, tank top and their Oakleys. (which I see all the time).
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 02:14 PM   #5
elitegroup
Founding Member

No one has mentioned single vehicle alcohol related deaths yet. I know for a fact because my Arizona DPS buddy has shown me pics of drunk harley riders rapping themselves around poles in the middle of the night. I know the next generation is here too the kids are buying bikes instead of cars and they have no experience riding what so ever! Here in Arizona all you have to do to get a licence to ride the latest and greatest death machine is ride a small 45 degree painted curve, stop when a light turns red and your off. Oh and you must pass the JOKE of a written test big f---- deal!!! multiple choice sludge! It really scares me too when you think of all these young little farts going out and launching first gear practice wheelies on the local roadway instead learning the basics on how to ride in traffic and live! All I have to say is if you don't wear at least pants and a helmet you should be given some kind of citation!
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 02:25 PM   #6
DataDan
Founding Member

Thanks, MO, for accompanying grim NHTSA stats with some perspective from the AMA, rather than letting them go unchallenged as you have in the past.

Here's more perspective from a June 2001 NHTSA report, "Recent Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes": In 1990, the Motorcycle Industry Council found that 3.7 million street motorcycles were "in use". That same year, NHTSA reported that 3244 riders died. Eight years later, motorcycles in use had climbed to 4.8 million, but deaths had dropped to 2294. In other words, during that span, 1990 to 1998, not only did total deaths drop 29% but the fatality rate dropped from 877 deaths per million bikes to 477. In other words, riding got safer by 46%.

What has happened since 1998 is a mystery, at least to me, because I can find no more current "motorcycles in use" data than 1998. This figure is absolutely crucial for determining whether the increase in fatalities is due to increased average risk or to an increase in the number of riders who choose to accept that risk.

If the AMA wants to make themselves useful in this debate, the can sponsor annual motorcycling demographic surveys to help counter the stream of bad news about motorcycling coming from NHTSA.

By the way, the 48% drop in deaths from 1990 to 1999 mentioned in your lead paragraph is wrong. The 1990 toll was 3244 and the 1999 toll 2472, a decrease of 24% (NHTSA, "Recent Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes", June 2001, p9).
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 02:30 PM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Default What about BAB's?

You know, Born-Again-Bikers, those 40/50ish yuppies who want to go back to something they gave up when they were 16. Their last bike was a Honda S90, and now they want the shiniest, loudest, biggest cruiser the Motor Company(tm) can make.

A study really is needed.

Pete P.

Old 09-25-2001, 03:39 PM   #8
caseyheilman
Founding Member

Default Re: We Need AIRBAG RIDING SUITS as soon as possible

If you think an airbag riding suit will save your neck you are kidding yourself. Sometimes your safety gear will save you, but if it is your time, nothing can stop it. I recently read about a rider who was wearing an Arai full face, vanson leather jacket, and gloves. When the car ran over him none of that mattered. Would an airbag riding suit? My point is, if you can't deal with the increased risk it will eat at you and affect your riding. Ask any racer who has gone down, what his lap times looked like after that. If your mind is on the wreck it's not where it should be. It all boils down to whether you believe you can control your destiny.
caseyheilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 03:40 PM   #9
DataDan
Founding Member

Default Re: What about BAB

The idea that older riders crash in disproportionately higher numbers was the subject of an earlier story (http://news.motorcycle.com/article.motml?sid=969) that MO published without critical comment. I debunked the notion in my reply to that item, but Art Friedman does a much better job in the current issue of Motorcyclist (11/01). Conclusion: riders over 40 are less likely to die in motorcycle crashes than are younger riders. The reason more of them are dying is that there are far more of them than ever before.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 04:14 PM   #10
gypsydr
Founding Member

I seem to recall reading about the results of research by NHSTA or the AMA looking at the experience of states that had mandatory helmet laws and repealed them. MC deaths and death rates went right up after repeal. Could the repeal of helmet laws be a factor?
gypsydr is offline   Reply With Quote